New Book: A Most Gallant Fight

Discussions about the history of the ship, technical details, etc.

Moderator: Bill Jurens

MikeP

New Book: A Most Gallant Fight

Post by MikeP »

Hi everyone, I’m reasonably new to the forum, but I’ve written a book on Bismarck which is - to be honest - a risky experiment.

I wanted to write the story in a way that would appeal to a generation of people who aren’t history buffs, but I also wanted to try and keep the story as accurate as possible.

It’s now available on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CRL3HFSB

This is the preview:

"A Most Gallant Fight" delves into the turbulent nine-day mission of the German battleship Bismarck during World War II. The author, intrigued by the emotional journey of the ship’s young crew, explores the human side of this great ship from her launch to her sinking, and the rollercoaster of associated emotions from pride and exhilaration to despair and defeat.

The book juxtaposes key historical moments, such as Hitler's visit to Bismarck and the fateful encounter with HMS Hood, with imagined personal experiences of the crew. Through the eyes of Hermann Ernst, a fictional character, readers experience the crew's emotional spectrum, from farewell to loved ones to the duties and loyalties that bind them, and ultimately, to the crushing defeat in a merciless sea battle.

While Hermann's story is fictional, it is woven seamlessly into real events, based on factual accounts, diaries, and logbooks. This blending of fact and fiction aims to convey a more profound emotional understanding of the Bismarck's ill-fated voyage, offering a unique perspective on a well-documented historical episode. Despite main character being fictional, the author has made every effort to remain true to historical facts while exploring the deeper emotional truths of the Bismarck's crew. Its purpose is to help a new generation of history fans understand why the story of the Bismarck has become so legendary.
RF

Re: New Book: A Most Gallant Fight

Post by RF »

This is an interesting perspective, focussing on the operation as seen from the lower deck, however if I may interpose some criticism it is fictional. To really understand the feelings and emotions of the crew you have to be one of them and undergo the experiences they had. This is particulary so as the young crew would have undergone political indoctrination and regimentated control for most of their short lives. Regardless of whether they are pro-Nazi or not it influences those emotions and feelings.

It is one aspect of the operation that has made it so intriguing - the fact that Bismarck was caught and sunk, by a chance torpedo hit on its rudder. Without that Bismarck would have arrived at Brest by 28 May, leaving a tale on the level of Operation Berlin.

The River Plate battle and the demise of AGS is a tale of similar vein, again laced with tragedy but without the scale of loss of life with the Bismarck operation.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
Byron Angel

Post by Byron Angel »

You have embraced an historic naval tale worthy of Patrick O’Brian.

Best of luck, Mike!

B
paul.mercer

Post by paul.mercer »

Hi Mike,
I looked up the book on Amazon and it looks fascinating, the only problem is that it seems to be available mainly on Kindle ( which I don't have) and the paperback edition is priced in dollars.
Is it available in the UK as a paperback and priced in Sterling?
MikeP

Post by MikeP »

Hi Paul,

Here is the UK link
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/099543493X