Bismarck and her contemporaries

Discussions about the history of the ship, technical details, etc.

Moderator: Bill Jurens

dunmunro

Re: Bismarck and her contemporaries

Post by dunmunro »

lwd wrote:
dunmunro wrote: ...
In many ways this is a brilliant article, but it has a fatal flaw, in that it assumes decapping of AP rounds when that was a very questionable assumption, in many cases, as Okun later admits in decapping revisited:

http://www.navweaps.com/index_tech/tech-085.htm

If decapping does not occur, the seeming invulnerability of SoDak disappears, and then the location of the magazines becomes critical. IE, does the ship have a fail-safe magazine design.
I'm also not convinced that it takes into acount the probability of the round being deflected or broken up by the armor. Certainly Bismarcks rounds are comming in at a fairly shallow angle even out to 35,000 yards.
http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNGER_15-52_skc34.htm
gives the following decent angles:
25km 24 degrees
30 km 32 degrees
35 km 40 degrees

I believe all of these are well outside the proofing angle of the German shells. Furthermore the effective thickness of the armor is increased by more than 50% at the steepest decent angle. From the article on decapping it's still not clear to me what happens with incresaing angle. Certainly I find the straight lines and step functions suspicious. It looks to me like it's a fairly complex process without a great deal of data to use to figure out how things would work. Especially when you start looking at the deck penetration tables at the navewapons site it appaers that Bismarck isn't credited with more than 6" of armor penetration until well over 30,000 yards and perhaps not until around over 35,000 yards given that SoDak's got 6" deck plust the 1.5" upper deck this seems marginal at best under 35,000 yards.

The Bismarck's guns do have a flat trajectory, and even without decapping MAD penetrations will be difficult, but this is not true for the belt armour. However, even for the MAD, things get interesting if we assume a decrease in 38cm MV due to gun wear. You can always use NAaB to easily do penetration simulations.
Bgile

Post by Bgile »

dunmunro wrote: Upon consulting G&D, I see that the secondary magazines were protected with a 1.95" STS box, and the main with 2 - 3" of STS.

The problem is that there is a lot more getting through the belt than just splinters. At ~16300 yds, and a 30deg target angle, a 38cm shell will achieve complete penetration of the main belt with sufficient velocity remaining to punch through 3" of STS, according to NAaB.
This seems quite logical to me, and the kind of thing I'd have expected.
Bgile

Post by Bgile »

dunmunro wrote: The Bismarck's guns do have a flat trajectory, and even without decapping MAD penetrations will be difficult, but this is not true for the belt armour. However, even for the MAD, things get interesting if we assume a decrease in 38cm MV due to gun wear. You can always use NAaB to easily do penetration simulations.
Quite true, but of course the 16"/45 is subject to the same changes. At ranges greater than 24,000 yds or so, Bismarck's decks start becoming vulnerable even with new guns. Decapping isn't as significant against homogeneous armor anyway, and with the slight downward deflection at weather deck penetration it might very even out and still result in complete penetration of the MAD.

In any case, Bill Jurens made the point that with the steel beams and what not present under the weather deck it's likely that decapping will occur in either case, Bismarck or South Dakota.
lwd

Post by lwd »

dunmunro wrote: .... However, even for the MAD, things get interesting if we assume a decrease in 38cm MV due to gun wear. You can always use NAaB to easily do penetration simulations.
Indeed or if the ship is rolling wron when a shell comes in. One doesn't wan to get hit with BB main gun rounds no matter how much armor they are going to do a fair amount of damage. My point was that there is little or no case that can be made for Bismarck's superiority at long or intermediate range. Even a short range while there's a case for her having some advantage it's still not an overwhelming one and IMO more than offset by the advantages of the SoDak at longer ranges.
Karl Heidenreich

Post by Karl Heidenreich »

I like, from time to time, stop posting to see how the USN fans amuze themselves with their retrofeed of "common knowledge". Not a single issue that has been brought have been contested properly (aside from the comments from Lutscha regarding Breyer which I´m cross checking now when having the time), just the same and old references to the same links. Not a reference on why Friedman, R&R or G&D comments did point out, at the very least, on the defective nature of NC and SD Classes and the influence of their unequivocal flaws on Iowa. I have tried to be objective in all these, listening and giving space to what could be mistakes or misinterpretation on my behalf. I do not see the same kind of intelectual open mentality in the other side. Even the British, as R&R, are severe to their own ships, but it seems that this issue of critizising the USN is regarded as heretical, which is the common not the exception.

Anyway I´m working now, after the Nelsons, KGVs, Vanguard, Yamatos and all the "never built stuff" (that no one comments which is amazing and sad) with a very compromised and debatable vessels: the Schanhorst Class. I´m trying to be objective so I have not yet posted but by the weekend that´s going to be likely. I don´t want to go further with the Bismarck until Schanhorst is done because maybe, just maybe, I can lost the "individual evaluation" while trying to do something that´s very common here: mix up things and come up with a pile of misleading pre conceptions. The only thing that I can say now, about these German vessels is that they were the object of political manouvers and that they were put in harms way with less tools than their contemporaries.

Best regards,
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.
Sir Winston Churchill
Lutscha

Post by Lutscha »

Karl, I just pointed out that the article has many errors concerning even basic data like armour thicknesses. You don't need to cross check, NC did not have a 406mm belt or 254mm combined deck armour. These errors are the same as in his old book. That's why I think it is outdated.

The firing trials cannot be considered definitive, since they don't tell us anything about the efficiency of the armour system. Yamato's HE shells would have bee inefficient against all armour systems as well as far as penetrating is concerned.

I have a problem with this part, because it makes the armour system and material appear as something special although they were shot at with non AP round which simply cannot be viewed as proof for a good armour system.

Do you think otherwise?
boredatwork

Post by boredatwork »

Karl Heidenreich wrote: Not a single issue that has been brought have been contested properly... Not a reference on why Friedman, R&R or G&D comments... I have tried to be objective in all these, listening and giving space to what could be mistakes or misinterpretation on my behalf. I do not see the same kind of intelectual open mentality in the other side.
Been a while responding since my last post on page ~36 as I have been following your advice and reading R&R as well as all three G&D books at the library...

I'll preface this by saying I'm not trying to convince you that your wrong - rather I think you need to follow your own advice and be more open minded about the conclusions drawn by the authors of the sources you quote. I am still reading R&R and generally it seems like a high quality book on British Battleship Design. However I have fully read their Comparison with foreign Battleships uponb which you’ve based your argument and am less impressed...

They themselves acknowledge as much:
P415 – These of course are very simple generalizations which cannot take into account of the many variables that may result from tactics, inclination and so on.
The reason I asked you about the accuracy of the quotes you posted on page 35 of this thread was that, unless *every* book on the US BBs I've ever read is wrong, it was obviously factually incorrect.
Karl Heidenreich wrote:It´s also interesting to bring up some information and comments from R&R´s summary on comparison of British BBs and their contemporaries:

R&R, page 414:
"...The British ships, threfore, have a better side protection in terms of depth covered protection against a diving shell, while the Italian ships have the worst. (The Japanese Yamato did in fact have a better protection against diving shell, because her belt armour was continued vertically downwards to the bottom of the ship, in the form of a very thick torpedo bulkhead, gradually reducing in thickness). The American ships of the South Dakotaand Iowa classes, which are not shown in the Table, had protection against diving shell which in the case of the former ship was worse than that of the Italian ships, and in the latter, better than the British ships.
As the Iowa and SD shared virtually identical protection systems my assumption, erroneous as it turns out, was that they made a simple slip and either by accident or because they didn't know better and were confusing SD with NC which had substantially less protection against diving shells. However when I explored the full context of the quote I discovered that was not the case - they weren't confusing the two 35,000 ton ships which would have been at least understandable - they simply had not done sufficient research to understand the ships they were comparing:
North Carolina:
This class had an external belt, set at an angle of fifteen degrees to the vertical, at the bottom of which was a small external bulge....

South Dakota:
This class had a belt, 12.2 inches thick, set at an angle of nineteen degrees and fitted at the top of a 1-inch protective bulkhead. Thus the belt was about 16 feet inboard of the skin plating, with the underwater protection compartments outside it... With the side armour so far inboard, there must have been a very real danger that a shell could penetrate the ship’s vitals under the belt, and it would not necessarily have to dive, to do so. At a suitable angle of descent, a shell striking at the waterline, could have reached the machinery or magazines by passing through only the thin structure of the bulge protection and the torpedo bulkhead.

Iowa:
The 12.2” thick side armour of Iowa was arranged in a similar manner to that of SD. The main belt was about 14’ deep, but it was extended to approximately thirty feet below the deep waterline, in reduced thickness tapering down to 1” at the lower edge. This system thus gave better protection against diving shell.

Montana:
The 19 degree sloping main belt of this class was arranged on similar lines to that of the North Carolina, with an underwater protection system partly inboard and partly outboard of the citadel. They did however, have an additional internal belt in the form of a very thick protective bulkhead, which extended from the middle-deck to the ship’s bottom. It tapered in thickness from eight inches at it’s top edge, to one inch at its bottom edge.

SD's belt tappered down to the bottom of the hull in exactly the same fashion as Iowa's and so there was no more "real danger" of a shell entering her vitals. As you like sources you can check out Friedman's US BBs, p314:
Protection against shellfire duplicated that of the SD... However the armored box of the new ships was 464' long, compared with 360' for the SD, with a proportionate increase in weight...
Karl Heidenreich wrote:On other issues I must come to find boreatwork´s comments on Montana quite confusing because both, Friedmann and Raven& Roberts finds the Montana as a clear departure of previous design doctrine of the USN. As a matter of fact the divergence in the design criterias is specifically addressed by the latter.
R&R:
This point serves to illustrate the lack of consistency in the schemes of protection adopted in the battleships of the US Navy..."
R&R state that the US used 4 different schemes and imply that was evidence of poor design, which you have been keen to repeat - however Friedman and G&D make it clear that the US really only used 2 schemes: The North Carolina/Montana scheme and the SD/Iowa scheme and they place the decision to use two different schemes in the context that the former could not be scaled up in effectiveness within the Panama canal limits.

The "additional internal belt" which they cite as a "new" feature of the Montana class had already been adopted for the magazines of the North Carolina class - Friedman p.336
this was an Internal sloped belt, similar in principle to the magazine protection of the North Carolina, but made continuous to cover the machinery spaces as well
Furthermore 12x16”/50 weapons was not unique to them the 1919 SD design had similar armament. The TDS was merely a scaled up version of that employed on NC as even R&R states, which itself was merely an updated version of that first used on the Tennesse class – compare cross sections on Friedman’s US BB’s on pages 284 & 136. Her subdivision and machinery layout while different from the beam restricted treaty ships
revived the arrangement used in the old Lexington class battlecruiser
Compare the diagram on p340 with those of West Virginia and NC on p127

– Hence part of the justification for my comments that the Montanas were not so much a departure from US design practice as you have implied but more of a return to it from the solutions forced upon US designers by the treaty restrictions.

R&R do correctly point out the hull form of the US ships was not hydro dynamically optimum however they attribute it purely to keeping the beam within the lock dimensions without acknowledging that the ships were deliberately designed to maintain beam over a larger part of their length to give more depth to the TDS ajacent to the magazines. Friedman US BBs p. 269:
Speed characteristics were deliberately sacrificed to provide sufficient volume for torpedo protection. A model basin memo of 1935 noted that the form ‘is not expected to be a record breaker’
R&R p415 Very little is known of the value of the underwater-protection systems used by the various navies and in order to make an accurate comparison, the results of scientific tests carried out on the arrangements would be required...
R&R P416 The Italians appear to have produced the best system, about which, unfortunately the authors know little...
Again from what I’ve read R&R have done a thorough job at researching the subject of their book - british BBs - but the amount of research used to support their comparison is questionable.
I looked at their bibliography and their British sources are extensive but their sources for other nations are virtually non-existant.

Finally...
Karl Heidenreich wrote: Anyway it seems to me that there is a serious misconception in all this:

How can the US design and built an appropiate BB before November 1942 if the USN had no previous combat experience from surface fleet actions?...

Basically all of these goes the way that it wasn´t until USS Montana concept came when the USN did achieve a technical proficiency that can only show after particular "learning curve" procedures. Which is, in this case, war experience that the British (and in a lesser degree, Germans) had.
You seem to be basing this on the following *opinion* from R&Rs:
P416. General conclusions:
The successful design of Warships depends to a very great extent on the amount of previous experience that has been accumulated by the designers. It follows therefore, that the nation with the greatest amount of sea and battle experience will be the one most likely to produce a successful design.

For this reason the authors believe that the USA and Britain produced the most efficient designs, and that the RN almost certainly had the edge before 1942, the American dreadnought fleet had acquired little battle experience. It is true that there were many faults in the British designs, but most of those could be corrected without involving fundamental changes to the basic design of the ships....
I would argue that their fundamental premise that successful design is dependent upon “sea and battle experience” is POTENTIALLY flawed. They cite no examples to support their case but I can easily cite examples that counter it:

The Royal Navy was considered the dominant navy during the glory days of sail and yet in general the French and Dutch ships were considered superior in design.

The Royal Navy had much more sea experience when they produced the Dreadnaught and Invincible than either the US or Germans had when they designed the South Carolina and Van der Tann. Given your preference for the 4x2 main battery arrangement you’ll note that the SC was designed with a vastly superior turret arrangement 6 years before the British – and is there any doubt as to who built the better WW1 battle cruisers?
Karl Heidenreich wrote: The shortening of citadel lenght and the economy on armor logically presented themselves as reasons to adopt the AoN armor scheme: displacement limitations will never allow for more than that.
Continuing the theme – Friedman p101
The logic of “all or nothing” protection was that at very long ranges, ships would be attacked primarily with AP shells since hits might be anywhere on a ship and HE would be useless against a thick belt or deck armor. In consequence only the heaviest armour (or no armour at all) was worth using: anything in between would only serve as a burster...

Only after WW1 did the Royal Navy adopt all or nothing protection in the abortive 1921 [i.e. pre-treaty] battleships and BCs, and in the Nelsons, all of which were expected to fight at longer ranges than those envisaged for the earlier British Dreadnoughts. To the extent that the U.S. BBs then were designed specifically to fight at extreme ranges [extreme by 1910 standards] they were well ahead of their time. For example, the protection of the US battleships was not significantly revised in view of the lessons of the battle of Jutland, although other navies distinguished their pre and post Jutland designs.

Again though I don’t have a specific page references I direct you to find and compare the cross section of an American BB of the Tennessee class – ie a ship designed before Jutland and before the WW1 exchange of technology, that of Royal Sovereign designed about the same time, and that of the KGV designed 20 years later... and with your own eyes tell me which KGV most resembles.

Finally the British had alot of direct war experience but technology improved between the wars and IMO R&R fail to allow that other navies can have their own innovations, and at the same time the conservative Royal Navy wasn’t necessarily always quick to react to those innovations: You might be interested in DK Brown’s well footnoted book - Nelson to Vanguard - which although it deals with the RN as a whole, has very interesting comparisons between US and British naval technology – given your assertion of the relative experience of the designers you might find it fascinating – it’s far too much to post in an already too long reply however it can be summed up nicely by the concluding paragraph analysing the Daring class Destroyer design of 1945:
At last the RN had a modern destroyer with a longitudinally framed, welded hull, efficient and compact machinery, AC electrics, and an effective dual purpose armament. These ‘innovations’ were introduced a decade later than the USN

Even the British, as R&R, are severe to their own ships, but it seems that this issue of critizising the USN is regarded as heretical, which is the common not the exception.
In conclusion I’m not trying to convince you that you’re wrong, Nor do I think the American ships were particularly better or worse than their foreign contemporaries - merely that you might be interested in reading Friedman’s US BBs and it might cause you to re-evaluate some of the conclusions you’ve drawn about US BB’s from reading R&R.

It is an excellent read and thoroughly places the various design decisions and compromises within proper historical context as opposed to “designer inexperience.”

Unlike G&D which I found disappointingly opinionated and pro-American in their “design analysis” Friedman presents comparisons and criticisms of the US designs in the form of actual primary source quotes along with appropriate context so you can make up your own mind.

Of particular interest to you might be the British DNC evaluations of US ships versus their British contemporaries, the extent the US was influence by the Hood and the Nelson, and the late and postwar evaluations by fleet officers of the strengths and shortfalls of various US BBs based on War experience.

...and this took 5 MS Word pages to write... I shudder to think how long the post is going to be...
Lutscha

Post by Lutscha »

You must really be bored... :D

Well done, I can only agree.
Karl Heidenreich

boredatwork:

Really excelent post, indeed! Very good and so far a great interpretation. I must thank you because some points you made do really escape me and are wortht for a re evaluation.

I would very much like to have my Friedman and R&R with me now and will follow up later on those. I need to re read your post.

For the time being: very good (even if do not fit my actual conceptions, but as you know, I´m willing to feed up with the appropiate info and, if required, change my position).
Sir Winston Churchill
Bgile

Post by Bgile »

wow, good job!
Kyler

Post by Kyler »

Great post boredatwork!
"It was a perfect attack, Right Height, Right Range, Right cloud cover, Right speed,
Wrong f@%king ship!" Commander Stewart-Moore (HMS Ark Royal)
Karl Heidenreich

In conclusion I’m not trying to convince you that you’re wrong, Nor do I think the American ships were particularly better or worse than their foreign contemporaries - merely that you might be interested in reading Friedman’s US BBs and it might cause you to re-evaluate some of the conclusions you’ve drawn about US BB’s from reading R&R.
It´s a deal.
Sir Winston Churchill
boredatwork

Post by boredatwork »

Thanks all... I think if I ever win the lottery I would love to go back to school, study naval architecture, then go live in the various naval archives worldwide for a decade and just read...

And Karl, you'll be happy to know that although you might have to reconsider some of your criticisms of US BBs after you read Friedman, he seems fairly unbiased and you'll get plenty of new ammunition to use. :wink:
Karl Heidenreich

Thanks all... I think if I ever win the lottery I would love to go back to school, study naval architecture, then go live in the various naval archives worldwide for a decade and just read..
That´s what my son wants to study and I´m already saving in case that´s his final decision.
Sir Winston Churchill
Karl Heidenreich

And Karl, you'll be happy to know that although you might have to reconsider some of your criticisms of US BBs after you read Friedman, he seems fairly unbiased and you'll get plenty of new ammunition to use.
Despite what many of you might think my intention is not to prove that USN vessels were badly desgined or constructed, just to bring some balance to the discussion which is basically biased against the Germans and Japanese using only two sources, that feed one another by the way.

Thanks to your comment, yesterday, I stopped my intention to post on the Schanhorst Class and review it for a later release.

Best regards,
Sir Winston Churchill