H.M.S. Rodney damage

Discussions about the history of the ship, technical details, etc.

Moderator: Bill Jurens

lwd

Post by lwd »

Bgile wrote:...
The counterpoint to that is the Yamato would have a higher effective rate of fire due to her shorter time of flight, as would Iowa.
Would this be at all noticeable? For instance for the two US guns the muzzle velocities are 2500 fps vs 2300 fps. If the 16/45 has a TOF of 60 seconds the 16/50 has a TOF of 55.2 sec assuming that the relative velocities remain the same however the 16/50 will loose velocity somewhat faster as friction is a function of velocity. So you are looking at a difference of less than 5 seconds. I would think that crew training and techniques could make more difference than this.
Tiornu
Supporter

Post by Tiornu »

To 36,000 yards, time of flight for the 16in/45 is 79.8 seconds, and 66.13 seconds for the 16in/50. I don't know that it makes any difference against a battleship target.
lwd

Post by lwd »

Interesting. I guess the 16/45 must be going further because it's got a higher trajectory. I didn't think about that the first time. That might actually be significant if you are figuring rate of fire. A ~20% difference in time of flight could translate to a rate of fire difference of 10+%.
RF

Post by RF »

Karl Heidenreich wrote:
PD: In Japanese anime Science Fiction there is 1970ies TV series about the Yamato resurrected from the bottom of the ocean and transformed into a spaceship that has as main weapon a ray that can destroy an entire planet, like Star War´s Death Star. The series is called "Space Battleship Yamato"...
I wonder what James T Kirk or Jean Luc Picard would make of that.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
Lutscha

Post by Lutscha »

Kirk would just defeat the Japanese skipper, who is a martial artist of course, in a 1on1 brawl. (accompanied by the famous music)
RF

Post by RF »

That would of course be the politically correct result.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
Hutchie;)

Re: H.M.S. Rodney damage

Post by Hutchie;) »

The refit HMS Rodney got was in Boston Masachosis,if that's any help,my great uncle was a CPO on Rodney ;).