Bismarck Motor Launches

Discussions about the history of the ship, technical details, etc.

Moderator: Bill Jurens

30knots

Post by 30knots » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:58 pm

Hi All,

I found a post on another site dated 10-07-2004. It's relating to the Tirpitz boats though, but i thought it worthy of this thread:
Your statement "except for some guns and machinery it is all minor parts" is not correct. I own one of the 27 feet boats that was onboard Tirpitz when it sunk. It was rescued in 1945 and was in use up to 1982. I have put it in store for a future restoration, my plan is to put it back to the sea again one day in the future.
Included in the thread are two photos:

http://tinyurl.com/25fxfm
http://tinyurl.com/3ahox5

Not sure about the hull colour and absence of 'rubbing strip' in the first photo, but porthole and upper hull line in the second one possibly a match. Almost certainly would have been repainted between 1945-1982 to preserve the hull, and quite possibly in more 'modern' paints, without the need for dark wartime colours. Just my thoughts.

Thanks for any replies

30knots

Post by 30knots » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:56 am

anyone ?

30knots

Post by 30knots » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:35 am

What does everyone think of this :

http://tinyurl.com/2s6dxe

For sale apparently.

Thanks for any replies

30knots

Post by 30knots » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:37 pm

mmm,

i seem to have been the only poster on this thread for the last x posts. Does nobody have an interest if this is one of the Tirpitz boats or not ? I found the ad/pic and thought, grey sides, black underhull, as 'worn looking' as you might expect, three bladed prop. etc Could it be ?

I've looked at some photos of the Bismarck boats and the ones with 3 portholes seem to match the windshield more, whereas the ones with 2 don't. The general lines of the hull do seem relatively consistent to me. Tirpitz may well have had slightly different spec of boats than Bismarck.

Also, someone could possibly have modified and used the boat for other purposes post war, with additions to the topsides more likely than hull alterations, nav masts, extra shelter cowlings etc. which might explain.

Just my thoughts. I'm just surprised there is not more interest.

Thanks for any replies

tommy303

Post by tommy303 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:23 pm

The various classes of boats and launches were made to set plans by a number of makers. It is possible they might have come from Tirpitz, or any number of other German ships. They might have simply been part of the port facilities and not assigned to a ship at all.

Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
They stood and Earth's foundations stay;
What God abandoned these defended;
And saved the sum of things for pay.