Up High Gun Directors

Discussions about the history of the ship, technical details, etc.

Moderator: Bill Jurens

RF

Post by RF »

I believe it was the case that Hood attempted to shift fire from PE onto Bismarck, as just prior to the ''blue 40'' flag signal to POW there was another flag signal seen by POW stating ''shift one target right'' which was taken to mean on POW that Holland had now correctly identified Bismarck.

Bill, the evidence of the compass platform strike demonstrates that a shell does not need to detonate to cause significant damage. It was not intended as a non-sequitor. It lends support to the possibility, the credibility of a non-exploding shell disabling the foretop of Hood. It does not prove that it did happen, that is conjecture based on limited evidence, which in my post I made clear was a suspicion and not presented as fact.

Forensic science is rapidly growing in importance and significance, but most of human knowledge is to a degree based not on certainties but on circumstantial evidence and the interpretation of that evidence. The ''big bang'' theory of the creation of the universe is one such point - it is impossible to currently prove on an empirical basis.
Similary the events of fast moving battle seen by few eye-witnesses must be open to conjecture based on available evidence. That evidence is increasing in volume and quality over time as we now have the wreck of the Bismarck filmed/photographed, we have computers/technology and a far greater knowledge of ballistics. On that basis conclusions can be drawn, but not necessarily the final word on the matter.
If we were to apply Karl Poppers dictum of ''falsification'' to all knowledge then I believe we would have no science, it would destroy itself. Without interpretation we cannot apply meaning to anything.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.