Discovered 1941 Painting "Sinking of the Bismarck"

Discussions about the history of the ship, technical details, etc.

Moderator: Bill Jurens

Ulrich Rudofsky
Contributor & Translator

Post by Ulrich Rudofsky »

An aircraft was reported at 0603 at the sinking of the Hood. Land-based Consolidated/Catalina flying boats (and other RAF planes) were launched from Iceland, Ireland and Greenland to observe and track the Bismarck and Prinz Eugen.
Ulrich
Robert J. Winklareth
-

Post by Robert J. Winklareth »

Hi all,

I believe that the aircraft depicted in the painting is supposed to be a Short Sunderland flying boat which was known to be in the area during the Battle of the Denmark Strait. That would fit in my earlier assessment that the ships shown may have been the Hood and Prince of Wales. Moser apparently tried to combine both events on a single piece of canvas showing the glory of victory as well as defeat.

Bob
westman3d

Antiques Roadshow

Post by westman3d »

I took the painting to the Antiques roadshow, it didn't make it on TV but I did get a good estimate, if anyone is interested in buying this work of art near the range of the estimte I was given please feel free to contact me. Westman3d@aol.com
Ulrich Rudofsky
Contributor & Translator

Post by Ulrich Rudofsky »

I have still have the same opinion about the painting I had then, back in March. It is a strange and illusionary view of the Battle at Iceland with the Bismarck depicted a broken tin toy ship. I would not think that any pro-Nazi propaganda painter would have dared to represent the pride of the Kriegsmarine as a broken toy ship! The background with the British tripod mast and burning ship and sailors in the water and in a lifeboat is a little more realistic, although the entire scene is completely imaginary; there is a beam from a lighthouse on shore or from a search light. The strange aircraft appears to have Danish Royal Air Force (???) wing insignia.
Ulrich
Te Rangitera

Re: Discovered 1941 Painting "Sinking of the Bismarck"

Post by Te Rangitera »

Just a comment about the sailor reaching for the flag, as a last gesture of honour and respect for your ship and shipmates saving the flag/emblem is to be seen as a great final act ( not surrendering it to the enemy OR the sea ). Similar instances are recorded from roman times as losing your legions standard ( as portrayed in the movie 'The Last Eagle' ), Waterloo when the imperial guard refused even when threatened by Wellingtons men that they would open fire on them if they did not surrender the flags, or even when the Wehrmacht had to do a walk past, the look of dismay and distress on their faces,their standards lowered and deposited at the feet of the Russian commanders that had captured them, all of these instances portray how an symbol of sacrifice or belonging can affect people. The aircraft looks like a very bad rendition of a Walrus, and the masts look more like off the U.S battleships sunk at Pearl Harbour. Perhaps when the painting was produced, it was at a slightly later time after the sinking of the Bismarck and the artist took a certain 'freedom' with images he had seen in print at the time. Who knows? It looks a very good painting from the time to me, cheers