How did you come to be interested in Bismarck?

Discussions about the history of the ship, technical details, etc.

Moderator: Bill Jurens

rick43515

Re: How did you come to be interested in Bismarck?

Post by rick43515 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:10 am

I remember My father and older brother and I going to the Drive in to see the movie Sink the Bismarck. When I was in the Army I was stationed in Germany for 6 yrs. and the German lady a Frau Helma Glaab who ran the bowling ally told me her Uncle had been stationed on the Bismarck and survived the sinking. She introduced me to him his name was Karl and told me about the sinking. He told me it was hell on board because the ship couldn't maneuver and was a setting duck. But he said the worst thing was that as he got aboard the HMS Devonshire the ship took off leaving over a thousand German sailors in the water to drown. It was revenge for the Hood.

wadinga

Post by wadinga » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:50 pm

Hello Rick,

Did "Karl" express his heartfelt thanks to Captain Martin and the crew of the Dorsetshire for his own life being saved, I wonder?

The ships at the scene were aware that Bismarck had been sending homing signals for U-boats for some hours and the naiivity of those who believe a U-Boat would avoid torpedoing a stopped, juicy target on the off chance those being picked were fellow Germans is not borne out by the real evidence of "total war". Destroyer HMS Maori had Bismarck survivors on board, but the Luftwaffe pilots who attacked and sank her sister Mashona did not know or care if their countrymen were aboard any of the ships. Rescuing German survivors conferred no invulnerability to attack.

Captain Martin, in his tall-sided heavily rolling cruiser had his own men's lives to think about plus those survivors he had already picked up when a sighting was made of a possible U-Boat in position to attack. He made a difficult decision based on this incomplete information.

This allegation of "revenge" is most often made in the darker parts of the Web and has no place being revived here, since it has been discussed before.

Incidentally I built Bismarck as an "Eaglewall" 1/1250 plastic model kit along with Suffolk and the Tribals many, many years ago.

All the best

wadinga
"There seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today!"

November_SSN

Post by November_SSN » Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:32 pm

Hello everyone, I'm using this thread to introduce myself. I'm November, 29, from France although I live in Russia now, and I've been fascinating by naval warfare, especially battleships, since I've been aware that such things exist.
I joined this forum because the Bismarck is one hell of a legendary battleship in history, like the Tiger or T-34 in the tank domain, or the Spitfire for planes. Of course, I couldn't miss the opportunity to discuss one of the most influent ships of WW2 (because no matter how WW2 already happened in the aircraft carrier era, the chase of the Bismarck was a crucial point in the battle for the Atlantic) along with other fans!
Apart from the Bismarck, my favourite battleships are the Japanese Fuso-class and the French Richelieu.

Have a nice day!

wadinga

Post by wadinga » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:00 pm

Hello November_SSN,

Welcome to the Forum.

The Richelieu's escape from France in the dark days of 1940 are a very interesting subject. There had been a plan for her and Jean Bart to sail to Britain to be completed, but on the change of government, instead they went to African ports where there was no possibility of completing them. Are there any French language books with details of the escape from the advancing Germans, especially if further perhaps politically sensitive details are emerging? We should start a thread in the 1922-1945 section.

The political arguments over Mers-el-Kebir and Dakar attacks have been discussed many times, and Churchill's merciless policy towards former friends debated and frequently condemned, but the motivation and decision to put these potentially very powerful ships beyond the reach of both enemies and current British allies is something that has always fascinated me. I believe it strongly influenced Churchill's attitude to subsequent French assurances and sowed distrust. Shall we start a thread?

All the best

wadinga
"There seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today!"

Paul L

Post by Paul L » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:52 pm

Back in late 1960s I bought an Airfix Model of Tirpitz & HMS Hood, as well as others, so even as a kid I was interested.
"Eine mal is kein mal"