Bismarck armor plate

Discussions about the history of the ship, technical details, etc.

Moderator: Bill Jurens

Ulrich Rudofsky
Contributor & Translator

Bismarck armor plate

Post by Ulrich Rudofsky »

Here is an interesting picture from an open-house at Blohm+Voss of what is described as a Bismarck plate.

http://www.smc-seefalke.de/B&V.htm

Die Korvette für Malaysia im überdachten Baudock und im Vergleich die Platte der BISMARCK! Ganz andere Verhältnisse!

The corvette for Malaysia in the roof-covered construction dock and for comparison the plate of the BISMARCK! Very different proportional relationships!
Ulrich
Ulrich Rudofsky
Contributor & Translator

Does anyone know if this is a leftover plate from the construction period or just a replica? Two to three hand-breaths would make it about 14-21 cm, assuming the woman’s hand is about 7 cm across. Right?
Ulrich
Monitor

Post by Monitor »

Could it be a piece of the main armor belt?
Ulrich Rudofsky
Contributor & Translator

The plate is described as belonging to the armor belt of the Bismarck, consisting of KC n/A (Ni/Cr) steel with a "cemented", i.e., carbonized face-hardened outside external surface. The plate weighs 16 metric tons. This steel had its optimal strength at 0 degrees Celsius (in North Atlantic conditions). (Based on a report by Walter Keuker at http://www.pro-academia.de/forum/
Ulrich
_Derfflinger_
Supporter

Post by _Derfflinger_ »

Why is this piece of armor plate from Bismarck at Blohm+Voss? Was it a piece left over from the original construction, was it recovered from the wreck, or what? Just curious. :?:

Thanks - VdT
Ulrich Rudofsky
Contributor & Translator

It certainly was not recovered from the wreck; nothing ever has so far. It could be either an extra piece or perhaps a repair part. I am trying to find out.
Ulrich
Brian_L

Post by Brian_L »

Well, remembering a scene from Cameron's movie where they are at B&V looking at a plate and seeing the bits taken out of the one in the picture, I'd guess it is one of the extra plates that they used to test the quality of the armor.
Ulrich Rudofsky
Contributor & Translator

The armor plates were tested long before they ever reached Blohm+Voss. Some people say that the Bismarck's armor plating or at least the steel was made in the early to mid 1930s. It took a long time to make that much stuff and steel for ships did not have that much priority as far as I know. The testing of everything was strictly supervised by the OKM. See this web site http://www.kbismarck.com/archives/barmour.html
Ulrich
Javier L.

Post by Javier L. »

I calculate the armor plate is about 3 x 2 meters. If it is part of the main belt then the plate is 32 cm thick reducing to 17 cm at the bottom. The weight 16 metric tons is massive. :shock: