70th Anniversary, sinking of the Bismarck

Discussions about the history of the ship, technical details, etc.

Moderator: Bill Jurens

Karl Heidenreich

Re: 70th Anniversary, sinking of the Bismarck

Post by Karl Heidenreich »

Well, 70 years today the Bismarck was sunk. Second only after the massive Yamato Class the German battleship went first into History. A story of courage, cunning, mistakes and luck. No other battleship lives in mankind's memory as this one. No other battleship fought against such imposible odds. And every time I think about it I came to the conclusion that May 27th do not point Bismarck's defeat but it's greatest victory: that of longevity in History. Without it begin physical present it is known by more people than those battleships still preserved as museums.
Long live the Bismarck!
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.
Sir Winston Churchill
celticmarine10

Post by celticmarine10 »

Its strange when you think about. Looking at a clock today at 0840 and watching it tick away time, remembering that 70 years ago, at that moment hundreds are dying as Mighty Bismarck fights to the death. 0930? To use the words of General William T. Sherman, "War is Hell".
I love thais Karl Heidenreich,
Karl Heidenreich wrote:And every time I think about it I came to the conclusion that May 27th do not point Bismarck's defeat but it's greatest victory: that of longevity in History.
Long live the Bismarck!
Though Bismarck was sunk, she (or he to go by Lindemann) lives on in History.
"Permission to Fire!" - Kapitan Lindemann
paulcadogan

Post by paulcadogan »

Here's to the memory of Bismarck and her brave young crew who spent the hours of the night of the 26-27 May in helpless anticipation of what they knew must come. Just imagining the stress - no rest, harassed by destroyers then the wait again from dawn for the approach of the British battleships.

Then to face the fury of the guns of Rodney, King George V, Norfolk and Dorsetshire, defending themselves until they could do so no more, then facing the slaughter and carnage until the British ceased fire. Then those that survived faced the the cruel sea, hope of rescue - a lucky few made it - before again the horror of war - another perceived threat from their own side sent their would-be rescuers scurrying away, leaving them to their fate in the ocean depths.

No matter the flag that flew above them, we honour them as men for the terrible ordeal they suffered and the way they faced it - those who died and those who survived.

Paul
Qui invidet minor est - He who envies is the lesser man
SWORDFISH

Post by SWORDFISH »

Jock Moffat was a Royal Navy (Fleet Air Arm) pilot NOT RAF!

Thursday evening 26th May 2011 a Bismarck dinner was held at RNAS Culdrose in Cornwall (England).
A memorable evening attended by the First Sea Lord Admiral Sir Mark Stanhope and Jock Moffat.
Attachments
Jock Moffat - right
Jock Moffat - right
email.jpg (62.58 KiB) Viewed 2075 times
Lest We Forget
paulcadogan

Post by paulcadogan »

Great to hear Jock Moffat tell his story again - finally got the interview to play this morning.

Also, I looked up Sam Wood's story - an excellent account of his time aboard Prince of Wales from he joined her at the builder's yard til she arrived back in Rosyth for repairs after her encounter with Bismarck. His battle experience was quite amazing!

http://www.knottingley.org/letters/memo ... _swood.htm
Qui invidet minor est - He who envies is the lesser man