Bismarck Stern Anchor

Discussions about the history of the ship, technical details, etc.

Moderator: Bill Jurens

Bismarck_Tirpitz

Bismarck Stern Anchor

Post by Bismarck_Tirpitz »

hello guys,

This is my first post here, and you are my final hope in finding out the info i need! i have scoured the internet and read books but still cant find a photo or the info i need. i am currently building a 1/350 scale model of the Bismarck, and i really need some directions and info. my question is concerning the stern anchor! on diagrams and layout plans; on the deck a chain leads to what seems to be a recess/hole of some sort to where the stern anchor sits. do you have any info of this that would be of help. did this chain just support the stern anchor in its recess on the side of the hull. and was this chain/ anchor taken off at some stage during the Bismarcks service.

thanks so much for your time!
Herr Nilsson

Re: Help!

Post by Herr Nilsson »

stern anchor 1
stern anchor 2

Except from the very short chain segment the stern anchor was attached to a cable not a chain. The device with the wheel on top is called "Trossenkneifer" (cable pincer?). The smaller chain was for additional fixing of the anchor in resting position.
Regards

Marc

"Thank God we blow up and sink more easily." (unknown officer from HMS Norfolk)
Bismarck_Tirpitz

Thanks so much for your help! I knew this site would be the best help. So did they actually use the anchor? Did they just lower it using the cable or something
Herr Nilsson

Post by Herr Nilsson »

To be honest I can't remember any picture with the stern anchor in use. This doesn't mean it wasn't used at all, of course. But if it was used it was lowered with a cable, not a chain.
Regards

Marc

Bgile

Post by Bgile »

The weight of the chain resting on the bottom represents a significant part of an anchor's holding capability, so one using a cable wouldn't be useful for the same sort of application.
Herr Nilsson

Post by Herr Nilsson »

That's certainly true, but obviously the Germans thought a lightweight stern anchor on a cable would be sufficient in most cases.
Regards

Marc

Bismarck_Tirpitz

Hmm, why did they chose to use a cable rather than a chain, like the bow anchors. Did they weigh much more
Bgile

Post by Bgile »

Bismarck_Tirpitz wrote:Hmm, why did they chose to use a cable rather than a chain, like the bow anchors. Did they weigh much more
yes.
Herr Nilsson

Post by Herr Nilsson »

An anchor on a cable (I think steel hawser is the better word) saves weight an space. You don't need a chain locker and you can use the towing capstan.
Regards

Marc

Olaf

Post by Olaf »

Maybe the stern anchor would have been used as a stream anchor, not really as one securing the ship like the bow anchors did.

http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1O225-streamanchor.html

I think it could have been deployed in order to supplement the bow anchor. If your anchoring in strong currents, you may don't want to have the ship swinging around the bow anchor and all over the place, so you bring out the stern anchor which just holds the stern in place. On my last ship in the Navy, we had no stern anchor, we simply ran the forward quarter spring line through its hawsehole aft and then forward to the bow anchor. When this is dropped, the anchor cable, the length of the ship and the line form the shape of a triangle (well, in theory). This provides greater stability in currents (or when trying to adjust the antenna for the TV satelite receiver ... :lol: ).

The stern anchor could be used for warping also.

Happy anchoring ~ Olaf!
Why the Navy? Well,.... I was young and short on money...
http://linerpara.de