Bismarck and PE fuel transfer

Discussions about the history of the ship, technical details, etc.

Moderator: Bill Jurens

Pandora

Bismarck and PE fuel transfer

Post by Pandora »

hello, in this photo Bismarck and PE are practicing fuel transfer by trailing hose but who is giving the fuel? is Bismarck to PE or PE to Bismarck?

Dave Saxton
Supporter

Re: Bismarck and PE fuel transfer

Post by Dave Saxton »

If this was just practice then there may not have been any transfer of fuel. One is playing the role of tanker for the other in a drill situation. I don't believe it mattered that much which was astern or forward. With an actual tanker, the tanker would normally float the lines back to the receiving warship to be retreived and connected. In the case of actual fuel transfer between Bismarck and Prinz Eugen, the cruiser would most likey be in need of fuel rather than the battleship.
Entering a night sea battle is an awesome business.The enveloping darkness, hiding the enemy's.. seems a living thing, malignant and oppressive.Swishing water at the bow and stern mark an inexorable advance toward an unknown destiny.
Pandora

Post by Pandora »

Dave, logic tells me that the large ship, Bismarck, should refuel the smaller one, PE, but I understand that in case of tankers then the ship that is being refueled would normally be placed behind the tanker. and that is my confusion. but what you said makes sense to me. thanks.
Vic Dale

Post by Vic Dale »

I know this is an old thread, but there are one or two things to note in the photo:

1. Bismarck has landed her bow anchor.
2. Prinz Eugen does not have the modern oiling rig fitted yet.
3. It appears that one of the hoses has got away and is trailing down Bismarck's starboard side, possibly due to a pick-up fumble on the fo'csle.

Very possibly this photo was taken long before the original sailing date which - without consulting my records - was scheduled for some time in late April, but which was put back a full month due to Prinz Eugen hitting a mine. This may even be the first attempt at refueling from Bismarck.

As I understand the oiling operation as it was supposed to be carried out in the Atlantic, they would use two hoses, for more rapid transfer. Prinz Eugen would supply the hoses, which being filled with air could be floated astern toward Bismarck. In the event of the evolution being disrupted by enemy forces, the hoses could be quickly disconnected at Bismarck's end, freeing her to deal with the enemy whilst Prinz Eugen was left to reel in the hoses.

Very likely, Prinz Eugen has landed her bow anchor also, so as to permit the use of the hawse hole for refueling astern of a tanker. Both evolutions would have been exercised many times during the work up to full operational efficiency.
ede144

Post by ede144 »

If I remember the Baron correctly, than this picture was taken during the training in the Baltics.