Bismarck survivors’ interrogations

Discussions about the history of the ship, technical details, etc.

Moderator: Bill Jurens

Matthias

Post by Matthias »

How could he saw her propellers?Didn't Bismarck sink from aft according to all the official descriptions? :?

Anyway they were right, your article is very good indeed Antonio...;)
"Wir kämpfen bis zur letzten Granate."

Günther Lütjens
Bgile

Post by Bgile »

Matthias wrote:How could he saw her propellers?Didn't Bismarck sink from aft according to all the official descriptions? :?

Anyway they were right, your article is very good indeed Antonio...;)
No, in the final moments she rolled over and sank stern first. That is why the turrets are missing from the wreck - they fell out. Then she righted herself on the way to the bottom.
Matthias

Post by Matthias »

Uhm...I guess I missed something... :oops: :? :wink: Thanks anyway!
"Wir kämpfen bis zur letzten Granate."

Günther Lütjens
phil gollin

Post by phil gollin »

ufo wrote:Hej Phil!

................................. The official summary of the Bismarck survivors’ reports has been published a while ago in:
German Capital Ships and Raiders of World War II: From "Graf Spee" to the "Bismarck" v. 1 (Naval Staff Histories Series), Eric Grove (Editor), Frank Cass Publishing, 2oo2

.........................................I do highly recommend this book!

Hope this helps a bit!
Ciao,
Ufo
Thanks, I have that book and have now looked at it PROPERLY. It is amazing how much information is contained in there, and you are correct that it contains the claim(s) that scuttling orders were given and charges fired (?????)

Some quite horrific bits about the final shelling.

Can you come and read all my other books for me ;-)

Phil
ufo
Supporter

Post by ufo »

Always amazing what a well-sorted library does for one! :D
Just ask and I have a look if I find it on your shelf! :lol:

The term “firing charges” refers to the German practice to scuttle by not just reversing pumps but to blow up piping that hat connection to the sea like pipes of the cooling system. They had ready-made charges for that purpose sitting somewhere in a quiet corner in a box.
Must have given you always a bit of a shiver to walk past it. :evil:

Yes – the only other (probably much more detailed) source about survivors interrogation would be our National Archives. But as I said – one is very well advised to know exactly to the page what one is looking for before even starting a search order. I think it costs ten quit these days to get an estimate of a documents size and copying costs involved.
But their web pages a pretty well made. Just have a look around there.

And as far as I know nothing is available online.

Ciao,
Ufo