Bismarck camouflage

Discussions about the history of the ship, technical details, etc.

Moderator: Bill Jurens

Jar-Jar Binks

Bismarck camouflage

Post by Jar-Jar Binks »

Hello all :D

My name's Roberto, I'm an italian young modeler, I live in Sardinia. (sorry for the bad english!!)

At the moment I'm working on the Revell Bismarck kit, scale 1/700, but I'm confused about what is the camouflage. On the web I find different variations, red hull, gray camouflage and some with white and black stripes.
This is the scheme that I have in my encyclopedia of navy, is that correct?
Thanks to all :angel:

Antonio Bonomi

Re: Bismarck camouflage

Post by Antonio Bonomi »

Hello everybody,

@ Roberto,

it depends the day and camouflage you want to build her, since the camoufalge changed a lot during her short life :D

ITALIAN :
Dipende dal giorno in cui vuoi realizzare la nave, la cui mimetica cambio' nel suo breve tempo di vita. In che giorno la vuoi riprodurre ?

NOTA : Quella li sopra della encicopedia Fabbri Editore della STORIA DELLA MARINA e' in ogni caso sbagliata !
E' un mix senza senso degli ultimi 6 giorni di vita ( dal 21 al 27 maggio 1941 ) senza lo schema Baltico

Leggi qui :

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1659

viewtopic.php?t=232

http://kbismarck.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=448

E ti servirebbe iscriverti al sito Modelwarship per vedre tutto sui modelli Bismarck/Tirpitz qui dentro ( all ship fan's ) :

http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/vi ... =47&t=4696

Bye / Ciao Antonio :D
In order to honor a soldier, we have to tell the truth about what happened over there. The whole, hard, cold truth. And until we do that, we dishonor her and every soldier who died, who gave their life for their country. ( Courage Under Fire )
José M. Rico
Administrator

Post by José M. Rico »

Roberto,

It all depends on what time period you want to paint your model. There are basically two main paint schemes most modelers follow:

1. Bismarck during her sea trials in the Baltic Sea with the three angled black and white stripes over the hull and superstructure.

2. Bismarck at the time she engaged the battle cruiser Hood in the Denmark Strait.

http://www.kbismarck.com/drawings.html

The illustration that appears in your encyclopedia with white turret tops is certainly wrong.

I hope it helps
Jar-Jar Binks

Post by Jar-Jar Binks »

Many thanks :D
My intention is to reproduce it in navigation on the Baltic Sea, so the first camo is correct :D

If you like, I will show you the progress whit this kit :dance:
Vic Dale

Post by Vic Dale »

With regard to Bismarck's decks, they are usually shown as bare wood, but for the operation and at least as early as Hitler's inspection on May 5th her decks were painted mid grey. If you want proof of this, see this photo;
Copy of 8.3.41.jpg
Copy of 8.3.41.jpg (53.74 KiB) Viewed 8355 times
Note the area of deck around the starboard forward 150mm turret. It has just been scrubbed and in comparison with the rest of the deck looks very dark. A wet bare wooden deck can look almost black. Compare it to the black camouflage stripe.

Now compare the effect of water on a deck which has been painted grey;
Copy of 103.jpg
Copy of 103.jpg (33.62 KiB) Viewed 8355 times
reflections show just how wet the deck is, yet it remains relatively pale.

Now have a look at this photo. We can see that the decks are a uniform dark colour. You might at first think that is is a wet deck, but it does not appear to be dark enough for bare wood and it is not drying out either, because decks on a vessel dry out at uneven pace, quicker amidships around the funnel and slower toward the bow and stern. The shade of grey seems to equate to that on the fore and after hull.
bismrhein16.jpg
bismrhein16.jpg (11.15 KiB) Viewed 8355 times
Another detail not to be over looked is the bow anchor which was landed around the time that the ship started oiling exercises in readiness for Exercise Rhine.