Bismarck firing procedures at DS

Discussions about the history of the ship, technical details, etc.
Antonio Bonomi

Re: Bismarck firing procedures at DS

Post by Antonio Bonomi » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:14 pm

Hello everybody,

@ CAG,

sorry I should have write the unit measure in meters on the table.

Here some data for the gun reload :

http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNGER_15-52_skc34.php
Rate Of Fire : 2.3 to 3 rounds per minute
and

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/38_cm_SK_C/34_naval_gun
According to German manuals [3] the required permanent capacity for the loading equipment for ammunition was 2.5 shells per minute. During testing period at the Baltic Sea the AVKS Report states an output of the ammunition delivery system up to 3.125 shells per minute.[5] Under battle conditions Bismarck averaged roughly one round per minute in her battle with HMS Hood and Prince of Wales.[6]
Bye Antonio :D
In order to honor a soldier, we have to tell the truth about what happened over there. The whole, hard, cold truth. And until we do that, we dishonor her and every soldier who died, who gave their life for their country. ( Courage Under Fire )

Cag

Post by Cag » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:56 pm

Hi All

Hi Antonio I hope you're well. Thanks very much so around 25 to 26 seconds or should I be more cautious and say 30 seconds?

Thanks again
Best wishes
Cag.

Antonio Bonomi

Post by Antonio Bonomi » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:31 pm

Hello everybody,

@ CAG,

I am fine thanks, ... a lot busy doing modeling now, ... and with my Tirpitz 3rd book, ... :wink: ... reading in here from time to time and unless something really interesting will arise, ... I leave you discussing further more, ... what has been well covered on the past 14 years of discussion about this battle.

Between 25 to 30 seconds is ok in my personal opinion.

Still be very careful about the guns reloading time and the real rate of fire that Bismarck was keeping that morning.

Reasons not to waste too many ammunitions were many, ... and I think that Kvt Kpt Schneider was carefully firing his guns looking at the number of time he fired them, ... and the ammunition expenditure from 05.55 until 06.09, ... only 93 shells.

If you look again my table you will see that average each gun fired one shot every minute, ... more or less, ... so plenty of time to reload the guns, ... and have them ready to be fired, ... only after a very careful spotting and adjustement executed.

Bye Antonio :D
In order to honor a soldier, we have to tell the truth about what happened over there. The whole, hard, cold truth. And until we do that, we dishonor her and every soldier who died, who gave their life for their country. ( Courage Under Fire )