pennants and rank flags

Discussions about the history of the ship, technical details, etc.

Moderator: Bill Jurens

DanR

pennants and rank flags

Post by DanR »

Hello,
When were rank flags flown? I have looked at many pictures of the Bismarck underway and I have not seen any flags except the ensign being flown, even though an Admiral was aboard. Also when were pennants used? I am building a model of the Bismarck and have seen silk reproductions offered in 1:200 scale (http://www.modellschlachtschiffe.de/sho ... istory=cat), but have no idea if I could use them.
Thanks, Dan
tommy303

Re: pennants and rank flags

Post by tommy303 »

The appropriate admirals flag was flown whenever he was aboard and was normally hoisted the moment he set foot on deck and remained flying until he left the ship. It was normally flown from the maintop, but being smallish, was not always visible in photographs. If more than one admiral was aboard, only that of the most senior one was flown. If the Fuehrer was aboard, the Fuehrer Standard was flown in place of any admiral's flag. Like an admiral's flag, it was flown from the moment he stepped aboard until the moment he officially left the ship.

Similarly, a command pennant was flown if the ship embarked a commodore or flotilla commander.

A commissioning pennant was also flown on the day of a ship's official commissioning into the Kriegsmarine. Thereafter it was used only when a ship was on a homeward voyage after a deployment out of home waters.

Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
They stood and Earth's foundations stay;
What God abandoned these defended;
And saved the sum of things for pay.
tommy303

Re: pennants and rank flags

Post by tommy303 »

The signal flags pictured on your link may of course be used.

http://www.kbismarck.com/flags.html

Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
They stood and Earth's foundations stay;
What God abandoned these defended;
And saved the sum of things for pay.