Bismarck Returns to Norway

Discussions about the history of the ship, technical details, etc.

Moderator: Bill Jurens

RF

Re: Bismarck Returns to Norway

Post by RF »

Stefan7litre wrote:Attempting to go back through the Strait would have been bad idea I believe.
Agreed.
Engaging in battle with British Ships was a mistake (damage and fuel leak). If I were Admiral Johann Günther Lütjens, I would have played hide and seek a little longer, maintaining radio silence.
As already just pointed out, Lutjens had the action forced on him, he had no option to turn away and avoid it. I would go further and suggest that Lutjens delay in giving Lindemann permission to fire turned out to be a mistake in the light of Hood blowing up so quickly - had Bismarck opened fire at the same time as or just before Hood opened fire then Prince of Wales would have had less time to fire on Bismarck prior to coming under Bismarck's fire - with the possibility of all three of the POW's hits simply not happening.
The Bismarck would out run anything the British had at the time.
Not quite. KGV and Repulse could match Bismarck's speed. But had Lutjens fully fuelled Bismarck at either Bergen or from the Weissenburg then the fuel situation post wngagement with Holland would not have been such a problem.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
alecsandros

Post by alecsandros »

RF wrote:
Not quite. KGV and Repulse could match Bismarck's speed. But had Lutjens fully fuelled Bismarck at either Bergen or from the Weissenburg then the fuel situation post wngagement with Holland would not have been such a problem.
It's improbable.
Bismarck could steam at 30.5kts, while KGV could go up to 29kts at best. Same for Repulse and Renown.
Stefan7litre

Post by Stefan7litre »

The British vessels could not maintain maximum speed for very long, fuel consumption would have been to great, so the only remote chance the Bismarck had was plot straight course for friendlier waters near France without delay.
RF

Post by RF »

alecsandros wrote: Bismarck could steam at 30.5kts, while KGV could go up to 29kts at best. Same for Repulse and Renown.
These are maximum speeds. On the basis of the actual speeds used during Rheinubung, particulary after the DS battle the KGV and Repulse could match the reduced speed Bismarck was following to conserve its fuel.

As I said in a previous post, had Lutjens fully fuelled Bismarck at Bergen he would not have had that problem.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
alecsandros

Post by alecsandros »

RF wrote:
alecsandros wrote: Bismarck could steam at 30.5kts, while KGV could go up to 29kts at best. Same for Repulse and Renown.
These are maximum speeds. On the basis of the actual speeds used during Rheinubung, particulary after the DS battle the KGV and Repulse could match the reduced speed Bismarck was following to conserve its fuel.

As I said in a previous post, had Lutjens fully fuelled Bismarck at Bergen he would not have had that problem.
Agreed, with the mention that Bismarck was fully capable of more than 30kts before the battle (and went beyond that during the actual confrontation).
The Denmark Strait battle, and the hits below the waterline, were matters of conjecture. (which could as well not have happened)