Flak Control and crew

Discussions about the history of the ship, technical details, etc.

Moderator: Bill Jurens

Celticmarine

Flak Control and crew

Post by Celticmarine »

Hello all,
I've a few questions on the Bismarck's Flak artillery.

I've noticed in a few depictions of the ship that the superstructure just behind the aft gunnery control sometimes had a done and when down seemed to be a sort of rangefinder. I've seen this once or twice called the Flak Gunnery control. Is this so? I also heard tell of another atop the main mast.

I was particularly interested in the 10.5cm SKC/33(37) turrets, mounted fore and aft. Unlike the 3.7cm guns, there don't seem to carry rangefinders, so I presume this is where the Flak Gunnery control comes in? It struck me as odd because the main Guns carried them in case control was disabled.

The 10.5cm's were in turrets. How many crew manned them? (3-4 would be my guess?) with this, what were the individual jobs associated here? Ammunition was brought in from below and loaded then fired?

These trivial things are never written out or described in any reading I know of.
Thank you so much for helping me out.
Hope everyone's doing well.

Celtic :D
Thorsten Wahl

Re: Flak Control and crew

Post by Thorsten Wahl »

copynpaste
some technical drawings about german AA guns (Unterrichtstafeln für Geschützkunde, Band II Flak, 138 pages)

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B12aaMD ... lQTkU/edit[/quote]
Meine Herren, es kann ein siebenjähriger, es kann ein dreißigjähriger Krieg werden – und wehe dem, der zuerst die Lunte in das Pulverfaß schleudert!