Grandfather Abroad Rodney...

Discussions about the history of the ship, technical details, etc.

Moderator: Bill Jurens

M. S.

Grandfather Abroad Rodney...

Post by M. S. »

Greetings,

I'm wondering if you could point me in the right direction. My grandfather was a Canadian named Orval John Latchford who served aboard the Rodney during WWII. How do I find exactly when he was first assigned to the ship? Where in the ship he worked? etc.

Those willing to help can respond here but preferably to: msmit269@alumni.uwo.ca

Thank you.
dunmunro

Re: Grandfather Abroad Rodney...

Post by dunmunro »

M. S. wrote:Greetings,

I'm wondering if you could point me in the right direction. My grandfather was a Canadian named Orval John Latchford who served aboard the Rodney during WWII. How do I find exactly when he was first assigned to the ship? Where in the ship he worked? etc.

Those willing to help can respond here but preferably to: msmit269@alumni.uwo.ca

Thank you.
Was he in the RN or RCN?
M.S.

Re: Grandfather Abroad Rodney...

Post by M.S. »

Thank you for your reply.

I believe he was in the RCN but for whatever reason he served aboard the Rodney. He passed away many years ago, but I remember him telling me that he was involved in shelling Normandy on D-Day yet I can't remember if he was part of the Bismarck sinking. He was a gunnery officer at first then worked in the engine room. The information we have on his navy life is scarce to say the least.