The Plot

Discussions about the history of the ship, technical details, etc.

Moderator: Bill Jurens

Antonio Bonomi

Re: The Plot

Post by Antonio Bonomi »

Hello everybody,

@ Wadinga,

you wrote :
The Plot is Norfolk's map, with everything shown relative to Norfolk, with Norfolk's navigational error included and applied to absolutely everything.
I disagree !

Can you please provide me your evidence about it. Thanks

Bye Antonio :D
In order to honor a soldier, we have to tell the truth about what happened over there. The whole, hard, cold truth. And until we do that, we dishonor her and every soldier who died, who gave their life for their country. ( Courage Under Fire )
dunmunro

Post by dunmunro »

Antonio Bonomi wrote:Hello everybody,

@ Wadinga,

you wrote :
The Plot is Norfolk's map, with everything shown relative to Norfolk, with Norfolk's navigational error included and applied to absolutely everything.
I disagree !

Can you please provide me your evidence about it. Thanks

http://www.hmshood.com/history/denmarks ... &Nplot.gif

States:

"Tracing from the plot of Norfolk 0530-0708."
wadinga

Post by wadinga »

Hi All,

Thanks Duncan Succinctly put. :D

We know Suffolk was reporting positions over 14 miles in error so when Pinchin needed to put her in about the right place, he took her track and located it by her position relative to Norfolk via the 06:20 bearing. If she had been positioned using her reported lat and long she might not have even been on the Plot at all! From her narrative
17. 0542 (B). Received Norfolk's 0541 reporting sighting enemy, followed by Prince of Wales' 0537 and Hood's 0543. The mean of these placed the enemy some 280°, 14 miles from Suffolk's plot position, and sights obtained shortly afterwards confirmed this. As, however, the Battle Cruiser Squadron was now in touch with the enemy, no amending position report was made at this point.
Until Suffolk's navigator got the sun sight later to correct his position all he could do was assume the average relative reports of the other ships giving Bismarck's position were more likely to be correct than his.

Suffolk had a number of bearings to Bismarck as did Norfolk, and one bearing to Hood when she opened fire,and by combining these Pinchin's Plot is completed, but with all units, including the Germans, positioned relative to Norfolk. If Suffolk's navigator had been doing the job, it would have been much the same although since he never directly saw Norfolk so the network would have been less reliable and the whole plot would have been 14 miles away.

All the best

wadinga
"There seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today!"
Antonio Bonomi

Post by Antonio Bonomi »

Hello everybody,

@ Wadinga and Dunmunro,

I think everybody is able to read what is written on the header of that incorrect document called " The Plot ", ... as Paul stated in his good and fair summary we have all well realized the reasons and the purpose behind that document being created by Pinchin.

This made clear in a " succinctly " way ... lets stick to your trial to defend what cannot be defended ...

Do you have those documents to state what you are trying to sustain ???

You wrote :
So I ask you, do you have those documents :

HMS Norfolk original track
Norfolk_original_track_01.jpg
Norfolk_original_track_01.jpg (92.35 KiB) Viewed 449 times
HMS Suffolk original track
Suffolk_original_track_01.jpg
Suffolk_original_track_01.jpg (66.75 KiB) Viewed 449 times
If you do not have them, ... than your statement is incorrect since you do not even know what you are talking about as comparison.

Than having the same documents for PoW and all the radio messages will help too, ... especially if everything is plotted on a big and complete enough map were once you have placed all the information, you can realize what has been done and mostly ... intentionally ALTERED/MODIFIED in order to make " The Plot " on August 12th, 1941.

Than ask yourself a very easy question :

Why RearAdm W.F. Wake-Walker did NOT use those Official documents and tracks in his hands to prove his case on the Hood second board of inquiry ??? ... :think:

Why " The plot " has been made at all, ... :think:

Slowly, ... hopefully, ... you will start understanding and accepting what really happened.

Than one day I will show you what Adm Tovey wrote ... during those crucial days ... :wink:

In order to honor a soldier, we have to tell the truth about what happened over there. The whole, hard, cold truth. And until we do that, we dishonor her and every soldier who died, who gave their life for their country. ( Courage Under Fire )
Herr Nilsson

Post by Herr Nilsson »

Antonio Bonomi wrote: Than ask yourself a very easy question :

Why RearAdm W.F. Wake-Walker did NOT use those Official documents and tracks in his hands to prove his case on the Hood second board of inquiry ??? ... :think:
Because both are obviously stratecial plots (at least according to the captions) and the level of detail is rather useless?
Antonio Bonomi wrote: Why " The plot " has been made at all, ... :think:
To have a better level of detail?
Regards

Marc

"Thank God we blow up and sink more easily." (unknown officer from HMS Norfolk)
Antonio Bonomi

Post by Antonio Bonomi »

Hello everybody,

@ Herr Nilsson,

wrong answer Marc, ... the level of detail is sufficient to realize what has been done after :wink:

In the original documents the distances are closer, ... on " The Plot " the battlefield has been enlarged and the bearings declared on the original tracks are NOT respected and one can see it also on " The Plot " itself since some have been drew and left ... in the middle of the ocean ... because they clearly do not match.

You saw it yourself and that is why you had to move Suffolk track for example, ... now you know you have to do the same with Norfolk tracks as well to make it according to the real distances and bearings.

Now can you tell me why this has been done ?

Alberto Virtuani

Post by Alberto Virtuani »

@all: I would reverse Antonio's questions: why Adm.Wake-Walker felt the need to go to the second board WITH a plot (starting his deposition with a sentence like: "I have the track chart with me"....) ? As Sean said several times, this was NOT an inquiry regarding his behaviour during the battle, just a board to better investigate the causes of Hood explosion..... :wink:

My 2 cents opinion: he didn't need it at the first board when everybody declared what they saw fixing the distance of Norfolk from Hood, however he needed it at the second board to justify his own "change of opinion" :lol: about the distances ! Therefore he asked Pinchin to draw "the Plot": this is NOT a battle map (not reconciling any input and not showing the CORRECT tracks of Hood and PoW) and NOT a single ship plot as there is a clear attempt to show how far Norfolk and Suffolk were from the enemy, enlarging the whole battlefield.

Bye, Alberto
"It takes three years to build a ship; it takes three centuries to build a tradition" (Adm.A.B.Cunningham)

"There's always a danger running in the enemy at close range" (Adm.W.F.Wake-Walker)
Antonio Bonomi

Post by Antonio Bonomi »

Hello everybody,

@ Alberto,

Mr. Sherlock Holmes will comment : " Elementary Mr. Watson, ... just elementary. " :clap:

Apparently NOT for everybody ... :wink: ... but if they need or want a " silver bullet " or a " smoking gun " like a written admission from Wake-Walker of what has been done and why, ... well we will probably not going to be able to give it to them.

But than they should ask themselves how come even before having received those documents RearAdm Wake-walker was able to write to Adm Tovey that Norfolk and Suffolk where at 15 sea miles from the Hood/enemy ( an incorrect statement ) ... just 5 days after ( June 5th ) having declared to the First Hood board of inquiry ( May 31st ) that Norfolk was at 10 sea miles from Hood ... :think:

I am sure everybody have noticed that he received Suffolk official report with his tracks from Capt Ellis only on June 11th, 1941 ... :shock:
Alberto Virtuani wrote:@all: I would reverse the question: why Adm.Wake-Walker felt the need to go to the second board WITH a plot (starting his deposition with a sentence like: "I have the track chart with me"....) ? As Sean said several times, this was NOT an inquiry regarding his behaviour during the battle, just a board to better investigate the causes of Hood explosion..... :wink:

My 2 cents opinion: he didn't need it at the first board when everybody declared what they saw fixing the distance of Norfolk from Hood, however he needed it at the second board to justify his own "change of opinion" :lol: about the distances ! Therefore he asked Pinchin to draw "the Plot": this is NOT a battle map (not reconciling any input and not showing the CORRECT tracks of Hood and PoW) and NOT a single ship plot as there is a clear attempt to show how far Norfolk and Suffolk were from the enemy, enlarging the battlefield.

Bye, Alberto
Antonio Bonomi

Post by Antonio Bonomi »

Hello everybody,

... and if one was really following us carefully surely will remember Capt Ellis ( HMS Suffolk ) comment to the Hood Second board of Inquiry regarding " The Plot " ... which adds up to Capt Phillips one ... in clear opposition to what RearAdm Wake-Walker stated on August 12th, 1941 using " The Plot " as evidence to sustain his words ... :shock:

But lets stick to Capt Ellis Official comments about " The Plot " :
425. Have you anything yourself that you want to tell us ? Do you wish to tell us anything further ?

No, I do not think I can give you anything further that would be useful. It was a very difficult morning, marker refraction, rapidly changing visibility, and this occasion is the first time I have seen my own and the "NORFOLK's" plots put together and it is a surprisingly greater distance than I thought it was.
http://www.hmshood.org.uk/reference/off ... .htm#Ellis

I will NOT comment any further ... it speaks for itself ... about the " battlefield enlargement factor " introduced on " The Plot " ... it was even commented into the Hood Second board of Inquiry by Capt Ellis ... :wink: .... and still challenged being NOT correct by Capt Phillips confirmed declarations and sketches ... :shock:

Herr Nilsson

Post by Herr Nilsson »

Antonio Bonomi wrote:... and the bearings declared on the original tracks are NOT respected and one can see it also on " The Plot " itself since some have been drew and left ... in the middle of the ocean ... because they clearly do not match.
What bearings?
Regards

Marc

Antonio Bonomi

Post by Antonio Bonomi »

Hello everybody,

@ Herr Nilsson,

what about 05.41 bearing and distance between Norfolk and Suffolk, ... :wink:

It is 318° True into the Norfolk original track as well as into " The Plot " but it ends up in the middle of the ocean as said ... it has been " substituted " by a NEW bearing 330° True by Pinchin with an associated distance increase, ... enlarging the battlefield since the very beginning, ... :wink:

Probably that is the one Capt Ellis was referring to ... on his Hood board of Inquiry declaration of " shorter " distances between Suffolk and Norfolk ... in fact ... it was shorter ... if you measure on the Norfolk original track were also the bearing is reproduced ... and than compare the 2 parameters to the same ones drew on " The Plot ".

That is the evidence of the " enlargement factor being introduced ", ... one of the many ... the first very evident one starting from the top right part of " The Plot ".

Herr Nilsson

Post by Herr Nilsson »

Pinchin made nothing wrong. He just drew Suffolk exactly 15 miles from Suffolk as stated in the 0520 signal. As I said before:
Pinchin had to ignore some information: either bearings or distances. I still can see no evidence of any cover-up.
The enlargement factors are the signals and not Pinchin or Wake-Walker.
Regards

Marc

Antonio Bonomi

Post by Antonio Bonomi »

Hello everybody,

@ Herr Nilsson,

PInchin surely made something incorrect, since his original map and " The Plot " are different as I have stated above.

My 05.41 True bearing was referred from Norfolk position to Suffolk, ... and NOT from Suffolk to Bismarck.

That bearing is 318° True on the original Norfolk map, ... and I cannot realize from where Pinchin took 330° True at 05.41 between Norfolk and Suffolk.
I do realize he traced a 318° True line from Norfolk at 05.41, ... but it goes nowhere and ends in the middle of the ocean ... :shock:

Anyway here for you what Suffolk wrote on her report, so you can explain me better what you mean on your above post at 05.20 :

0520 (B). Enemy bore 203°, 15 miles, possibly increasing speed; and shortly afterwards altered course 30° to port and then back to starboard.

17. 0542 (B). Received Norfolk's 0541 reporting sighting enemy, followed by Prince of Wales' 0537 and Hood's 0543. The mean of these placed the enemy some 280°, 14 miles from Suffolk's plot position, and sights obtained shortly afterwards confirmed this. As, however, the Battle Cruiser Squadron was now in touch with the enemy, no amending position report was made at this point.
There is surely an incorrect statement at 05.42 when Suffolk declared 280° True bearing for the enemy, ... that should be 208° True ... in my opinion ... :wink:
... but we will cover Suffolk after ... for the moment I am focused on that 05.41 between Norfolk and Suffolk.

So at 05.41, ... the correct bearings should be :

1) 318° True between Norfolk and Suffolk
2) 276° True between Norfolk and Bismarck
3) 196° True between Suffolk and Bismarck. ( 04.56 radio msg confirmed after at 05.22 )

than we have from Plan 4 some minutes before ... at 05.35/05.37

4) 18° True between PoW and Norfolk
5) 350° True between PoW and Suffolk
6 ) 334° True between PoW and Bismarck

Let me know your opinion ...

Herr Nilsson

Post by Herr Nilsson »

Antonio,

I had understood to what bearing you were referring, but you simply don't understand what I'm talking about the whole thread: If Pinchin doesn't neglect the distances he knows, it's impossible to make all bearings fit. What's not to get here?
Regards

Marc

Antonio Bonomi

Post by Antonio Bonomi »

Hello everybody,

@ Herr Nilsson,

Marc, I think it is obvious that Pinchin was never going to neglect the distances he drew on " The Plot ".

" The Plot " was done just for that reason, ... to make Suffolk and Norfolk distant around 15 sea miles from the enemy all the way thru ... and between Hood and Norfolk at 06.00.

That was what RearAdm Wake-Walker declared to Adm Tovey on June 5th, 1941, ... and what Adm Tovey wrote on his dispatches on July 1941.

On August 12th, 1941 ... we have Pinchin making " The Plot " for RearAdm Wake-Walker appearance to the Hood Second board ... :shock:

But the distances on the original tracks are different, ... and of course shorter, ... compared to what he drew, ... and than there are the bearings too demonstrating that " The Plot " is an incorrect document made for a precise request/reason we all know.