The Plot

Discussions about the history of the ship, technical details, etc.

Moderator: Bill Jurens

Herr Nilsson

Re: The Plot

Post by Herr Nilsson »

A and B are a matter of taste. It depends on what bearing one want to neglect. I've droped versions of my map with only 2-3 degrees tolerance without neglecting any bearing.

Yes, it relates to PoW's position at 0634 with Norfolk 1.5 Miles ahead. With your point C it's impossible.
Regards

Marc

"Thank God we blow up and sink more easily." (unknown officer from HMS Norfolk)
Antonio Bonomi

Post by Antonio Bonomi »

Hello everybody,

@ Herr Nilsson,

from where did you get that information : PoW's position at 06.34 with Norfolk 1.5 Miles ahead ???

Bye Antonio :D
In order to honor a soldier, we have to tell the truth about what happened over there. The whole, hard, cold truth. And until we do that, we dishonor her and every soldier who died, who gave their life for their country. ( Courage Under Fire )
Herr Nilsson

Post by Herr Nilsson »

Have a look in your PoW war diary.
Regards

Marc

Antonio Bonomi

Post by Antonio Bonomi »

Hello everybody,

@ Herr Nilsson,

I have looked at both, ... PoW at 06.34 input ... as well as Norfolk 06.40 input.

Here they are :
PoW_to_Norfolk_0634_and _0640_distances_01.jpg
PoW_to_Norfolk_0634_and _0640_distances_01.jpg (59.15 KiB) Viewed 440 times
Of course my point C was referring at 06.40 using Norfolk input and should be correct, ... for both distances of 5 sea miles as well as bearing 110° True.

In order to honor a soldier, we have to tell the truth about what happened over there. The whole, hard, cold truth. And until we do that, we dishonor her and every soldier who died, who gave their life for their country. ( Courage Under Fire )
Herr Nilsson

Post by Herr Nilsson »

Yes, but "stationed" is an order. Look what PoW is doing after 0640. Keep in mind that according to British regulations distance is changed by course and bearing by revolutions.
Regards

Marc

Antonio Bonomi

Post by Antonio Bonomi »

Hello everybody,

@ Herr Nilsson,

I think I have solved this small " dilemma " on PoW war diary input.

As you can see, below on the same page, when the PoW war diary writer wanted to write half sea mile (1/2), or 3/4 of a sea mile, ... he was writing like this referencing Suffolk distances entry on same war diary on the same day.
PoW_war_diary_inputs_reference_01.jpg
PoW_war_diary_inputs_reference_01.jpg (93.55 KiB) Viewed 435 times
It is consequently evident that the same writer was NOT intending to write 1,5 sea miles by writing 1 with a point in between and than 5' ( sea mile ).

Probably, ... and this is my personal opinion that will match with logic and the other input we have from Norfolk soon after, ... he was meaning between 1 to 5 sea miles.

And in fact Norfolk was surpassing PoW on that moment taking the lead.

What is your opinion about it now Marc ?

Herr Nilsson

Post by Herr Nilsson »

The day before 1105 ...to take station: 0.4' astern of Hood

0 to 4 miles?
Regards

Marc

Antonio Bonomi

Post by Antonio Bonomi »

Hello everybody,

@ Herr Nilsson,

did you notice it was a different writer ?

Anyway, a 1 than a point in the middle and not below and a 5 ... it is not 1.5 ... this is evident.

We have a precise bearing and distance at 06.40 from Norfolk and my point C was based on that, ... and it is a reliable info written in clear.

This one is difficult to realize ... so between the 2 ... I choose to use 06.40 from Norfolk.

Herr Nilsson

Post by Herr Nilsson »

So different writers had different styles and afterwards nobody knows what it means without asking the writer?
Regards

Marc

Antonio Bonomi

Post by Antonio Bonomi »

Hello everybody,

@ Herr Nilsson,

unfortunately it was like that ... as you can see yourself.

That is why I like to check, cross check and double check everything ... whenever possible.

At the end also we must work with some tolerances ... but I am sure you have realized it yourself.

Herr Nilsson

Post by Herr Nilsson »

:shock:

That means every war diary is virtually worthless, because every writer has his own rules?
Regards

Marc

Antonio Bonomi

Post by Antonio Bonomi »

Hello everybody,

@ Herr Nilsson,

do not take it so dramatically Marc, ... they were different persons and used different style and way to say the same things as you can see.

It changed from person to person, ... and from warship to warship too.

Even today when you write master documents in any military environment, ... if the Officer responsible to fill the documents with daily inputs, ... changes every day or shift ... even if you have rules and procedures to follow, ... you will still find some differences.

Anyway, ... in this case we are lucky because we have a very close input telling us precisely the situation soon after at 06.40 ... in other occasions I was not so lucky.

Herr Nilsson

Post by Herr Nilsson »

I'm speechless and don't know what to answer. IMHO this is nonsense and reminds me of discussions with Vic Dale and Bob Winklareth.
Regards

Marc

Dave Saxton
Supporter

Post by Dave Saxton »

Herr Nilsson wrote:The day before 1105 ...to take station: 0.4' astern of Hood

0 to 4 miles?
The RN often used "cables" for short distances as well as miles.
Entering a night sea battle is an awesome business.The enveloping darkness, hiding the enemy's.. seems a living thing, malignant and oppressive.Swishing water at the bow and stern mark an inexorable advance toward an unknown destiny.
Byron Angel

Post by Byron Angel »

Dave Saxton wrote:
Herr Nilsson wrote:The day before 1105 ...to take station: 0.4' astern of Hood

0 to 4 miles?
The RN often used "cables" for short distances as well as miles.

..... FWIW, I would interpret "0.4" as representing 4/10ths of a sea mile, i.e. 800 yards.

B