Unrotated Projectile

Discussions about the history of the ship, technical details, etc.

Moderator: Bill Jurens

Antonio Bonomi

Unrotated Projectile

Post by Antonio Bonomi »

Hello everybody,

on Denmark Strait there was NOT only the problem about the HMS PoW 14 inch quadruple turrets loading mechanism to be hidden.

There was another problem, ... maybe even worst if ever possible, ... especially if anyone was going to correlate it with the potential Hood sinking reason.

It was the : Unrotated Projectile

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unrotated_Projectile

Highly sponsored by Churchill in person, ... thru one of his personal friends ...ironically named Lindemann ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederick_ ... t_Cherwell

... it was another factor to be hidden as much as possible.

Opinions welcome ...

Bye Antonio :D
In order to honor a soldier, we have to tell the truth about what happened over there. The whole, hard, cold truth. And until we do that, we dishonor her and every soldier who died, who gave their life for their country. ( Courage Under Fire )
dunmunro

Re: Unrotated Projectile

Post by dunmunro »

The problems with the UP AA system have been widely discussed and well known for decades.
Antonio Bonomi

Post by Antonio Bonomi »

Hello everybody,

@ Dunmunro,
dunmunro wrote:The problems with the UP AA system have been widely discussed and well known for decades.
I know it very well Duncan, ... but few times it has been written that this problem, ... together with the KG V quadruple turret loading mechanism design problem, ... was going to be surely discussed in case of an inquiry called about the battle of Denmark Strait.

So it was also to avoid to deeply analyze and correlate all those facts to that defeat that the inquiry was not called on 1941.

But they played a KEY role in the battle of Denmark Strait, ... they have been crucial factors.

In order to honor a soldier, we have to tell the truth about what happened over there. The whole, hard, cold truth. And until we do that, we dishonor her and every soldier who died, who gave their life for their country. ( Courage Under Fire )
Rick Rather

Post by Rick Rather »

Antonio Bonomi wrote:But they played a KEY role in the battle of Denmark Strait, ... they have been crucial factors.
I disagree.

Yes, they caused a major fire on Hood, but that fire had no bearing on the magazine explosion deep in the bowels of the ship. If Hood had not blown-up, or if a similar UP fire had occurred on PoW, such a calamity might have caused problems, maybe even leading to the loss of a ship. But Hood DID blow-up, rendering the UP fire irrelevant.
Just because it's stupid, futile and doomed to failure, that doesn't mean some officer won't try it.
-- R. Rather
Antonio Bonomi

Post by Antonio Bonomi »

Helo everybody,
Rick Rather wrote:
Antonio Bonomi wrote:But they played a KEY role in the battle of Denmark Strait, ... they have been crucial factors.
I disagree.

Yes, they caused a major fire on Hood, but that fire had no bearing on the magazine explosion deep in the bowels of the ship. If Hood had not blown-up, or if a similar UP fire had occurred on PoW, such a calamity might have caused problems, maybe even leading to the loss of a ship. But Hood DID blow-up, rendering the UP fire irrelevant.
I see your opinion, ... but my point on defining a " crucial factor " for the UP that morning was NOT the Hood explosion, although no deep analysis has been conducted on that direction.

My point was directly related to the serious firing reduction Hood suffered on the early stage of the battle due to that fire aft, ... in fact on the PoW gunnery plot they even wrote : " Hood Out of Action ! ".

I can see only one main reason for that to be and it was the fire aft due to the UP ammunitions ... unless they were referring to the spotting top hit ... but nobody asked to the writer why he wrote that ... :think:

Too many unanswered questions when arguments or " critical " persons ( Gilbert, Dundas, ... etc etc etc ) were involved, ... everybody will tell me that they were only focused on the reason why Hood exploded, ... and I will reply that in order to understand that ... they should have at first realized what was precisely happening on that moment on the overall battle scenario including on board the Hood ... and all around her.