Bismarck 150mm fire control

Discussions about the history of the ship, technical details, etc.

Moderator: Bill Jurens

tommy303

Re: Bismarck 150mm fire control

Post by tommy303 »

I took a look in the service regulation for weapon systems on board Bismarck class (TS131 - 22065 - B.B.V.-W- - Bauvorschrift für die Waffenanlagen),it state that ther were two C38 within each plotting room one associated to the main artillery and one associated to secondaries.

My additional information came from Paul Schmalenbach (History of german naval artillery), who state that ballistic cams were generally interchangeable.
One of the interesting aspects of the set up of the computers in the transmitting station is each of the computers had associated SFS-Anzieger for the battery the computer normally controlled. Thus the computer for the 38cm had a single SFS-Anzieger incorporated in the set up showing the state of readiness for all four turrets and eight guns in the battery, while that for the secondary had one for each port and starboard batteries with the three turrets and six guns of each. Thus, each computer was optimized for the battery it controlled. While cams may have been generally interchageble, I recall a claim by Siemens-Halske that only one of their technicians was capable of working on the interior of the computer. In any event, photographic evidence shows the computer for the 15cm did not have an SFS-indicator and order transmittal board for the main armament, so while in theory control of the main battery might be possible, in practical terms it was probably never done.

Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
They stood and Earth's foundations stay;
What God abandoned these defended;
And saved the sum of things for pay.