Crew accommodations

Discussions about the history of the ship, technical details, etc.

Moderator: Bill Jurens

LplusL

Crew accommodations

Post by LplusL »

Good Afternoon!

I've always wondered what Bismarck's crew accommodations were like but haven't run across very many references to them. I think once I saw a picture of the Graf Spee's crew wrapping up hammocks and I've read in a number of places that hammocks were used to patch areas damaged during the Denmarck Strait battle. Is there any info beyond this? My apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, I'm new to the forum.

Thanks!
Dave Saxton
Supporter

Re: Crew accommodations

Post by Dave Saxton »

Good questions. You might try youtube. If I recall there's a video posted featuring a day in the life aboard Scharnhorst. I don't imagine that Bismarck was much different. I know from a film used in the old Victory at Sea series that hammocks were used on KGV.
Entering a night sea battle is an awesome business.The enveloping darkness, hiding the enemy's.. seems a living thing, malignant and oppressive.Swishing water at the bow and stern mark an inexorable advance toward an unknown destiny.

Post by Guest »

Awesome, thanks for the suggestion, I'll try to track down that video. I've heard the same about King George V. Here's that photo from the Graf Spee I mentioned.

RF

Post by RF »

LplusL wrote: I've always wondered what Bismarck's crew accommodations were like but haven't run across very many references to them.
Thanks!
The general references I have seen, such as Kennedy and Ballard, seem to suggest that crew accommodation was not that good.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.