New Bismarck movie!!? But.....

Discussions about the history of the ship, technical details, etc.

Moderator: Bill Jurens

paulcadogan

New Bismarck movie!!? But.....

Post by paulcadogan »

Looks like we'll be getting one!! :dance:

https://tv.yahoo.com/news/wwii-black-li ... 56586.html

Here's a Youtube post on it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSKulKwiOmw

BUT, based on the above....will it be true to the real story?? Thoughts!!?? :think:
Qui invidet minor est - He who envies is the lesser man
frontkampfer

Re: New Bismarck movie!!? But.....

Post by frontkampfer »

Personally, i think it will be hollywood BS. They will load it up with CGI and do everything they can to make it relevant to today and the evil nazi's. Hope I'm wrong but I seriously doubt it. My 2 pfennigs!
"I will not have my ship shot out from under my ass!"
BobaFettSlave_1

Post by BobaFettSlave_1 »

I'd like it if they were to pull a kind of Letters from Iwo Jima/ Flags of our fathers thing with it. Although who knows what will happen. I don't see how they could make it a truly interesting film without doing a "both sides" kind of thing
Byron Angel

Post by Byron Angel »

BobaFettSlave_1 wrote:I'd like it if they were to pull a kind of Letters from Iwo Jima/ Flags of our fathers thing with it. Although who knows what will happen. I don't see how they could make it a truly interesting film without doing a "both sides" kind of thing
..... A bout of flu this week afforded me the time, after many years, to watch the original director's cut of "Das Boot" auf deutsch. Anyone contemplating making a film about the "Bismarck" episode would find in it a good general model to follow. That having been said, the dramatic aspects of the episode are such that both sides deserve to be portrayed to one degree or another, my only concern then being that the movie would risk running to quite some length.

B
frontkampfer

Post by frontkampfer »

Byron Angel wrote:
BobaFettSlave_1 wrote:I'd like it if they were to pull a kind of Letters from Iwo Jima/ Flags of our fathers thing with it. Although who knows what will happen. I don't see how they could make it a truly interesting film without doing a "both sides" kind of thing
..... A bout of flu this week afforded me the time, after many years, to watch the original director's cut of "Das Boot" auf deutsch. Anyone contemplating making a film about the "Bismarck" episode would find in it a good general model to follow. That having been said, the dramatic aspects of the episode are such that both sides deserve to be portrayed to one degree or another, my only concern then being that the movie would risk running to quite some length.

B
Spot on, Byron! Das Boot (especially directors cut) should be the standard by which any movie on Bismarck should be made. Both sides should be portrayed, especially Ted Briggs's ordeal. Maybe a mini-series such as Das Boot itself would be a better vehicle.
"I will not have my ship shot out from under my ass!"
RF

Post by RF »

This is supposed to be a true story based on one officer haunted by the loss of his ship at Dunkirk........

Sounds like a bit of fiction right at the start....... so how can it be a true story?

It looks to me to be a US version of ''Sink the Bismarck.''
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
Byron Angel

Post by Byron Angel »

RF wrote:This is supposed to be a true story based on one officer haunted by the loss of his ship at Dunkirk........

Sounds like a bit of fiction right at the start....... so how can it be a true story?

It looks to me to be a US version of ''Sink the Bismarck.''

.... If it is indeed a US film, then the theme will be that the USCGS Modoc was responsible for the destruction of Bismarck ... ;-)

B
Steve Crandell

Post by Steve Crandell »

I don't understand why you folks are so down on US made films. Of course there are some losers, but there are some good ones, too. As a submariner, I had a few problems with Das Boot, but I'm not going around telling everyone it was terrible because by and large it was very good. There are some US movies like that as well. Overall accurate with some bad stuff, often so it will make money in the largest market audiences. That's called "Free Enterprise".
RF

Post by RF »

Steve Crandell wrote:I don't understand why you folks are so down on US made films.
I am ''down'' on all films - not just US ones - that are factually inaccurate and also include war crimes by the ''baddies'' to spice things up. Especially war crimes that are purely fictional and out of character with the real life forces they are supposed to portray.

I would cite the film ''U-571'' as a particular example - the deliberate machine gunning of survivors in the water by a U-boat, the sinking of a U-boat with submarine torpedoes whilst submerged, a German destroyer in the western North Atlantic which looked nothing like a zestorer, where no such German ships were able to operate in WW2.
Last edited by RF on Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
pgollin

Post by pgollin »

Steve Crandell wrote:
................. As a submariner, I had a few problems with Das Boot, but I'm not going around telling everyone it was terrible because by and large it was very good. .............

And did you find ANYTHING accurate about U-571 ?
RF

Post by RF »

pgollin wrote:
Some of the end credits.
Steve Crandell

Post by Steve Crandell »

pgollin wrote:
Steve Crandell wrote:
................. As a submariner, I had a few problems with Das Boot, but I'm not going around telling everyone it was terrible because by and large it was very good. .............

No, I heard about that one and didn't bother to see it. "Pearl Harbor" was terrible as well, but to indict the whole industry because of a few bad movies is not fair. For example, I was there on active duty when they made "Tora, Tora, Tora" and I thought that one was quite good, and no CGI; just lots of Japanese aircraft dropping prop torpedoes in the Harbor. There were some drawbacks like current active duty ships at the pier, but it was still a good movie.
Dave Saxton
Supporter

Post by Dave Saxton »

Tora , Tora, Tora, is a very good movie, and its historically not too far off track. In Harms Way is also good even though it is fiction. There's more, but they tend to be highly fictionalized. Unfortunately, movies of those standards, and of a naval theme, have not been made in decades, with the exception of Das Boot. You didn't miss much with U-581.
Entering a night sea battle is an awesome business.The enveloping darkness, hiding the enemy's.. seems a living thing, malignant and oppressive.Swishing water at the bow and stern mark an inexorable advance toward an unknown destiny.
paulcadogan

Post by paulcadogan »

Of course the comments here all have absolute merit. Even fiction-based non-sci-fi movies have scenes which defy even the basic laws of physics...

But remember the vast majority of the movie audience is not necessarily like us (and even WE can't agree all the time on what is historically accurate!). If a history-based movie can draw in an audience, entertain them, hold their attention and in the process they learn a bit and appreciate the sacrifices and ordeals of those who lived the real events, then it has served its purpose. Some of the audience may become interested enough to research the topic and get a more accurate appreciation...

If you want a portrayal of pure history, watch a documentary....but...even documentaries have problems getting it right!

My philosophy is to lighten up (note I said lightEN up! :D ), relax, throw in as many "Yeah, right!"s and "Oh, PLEASE!"s as I need to, and enjoy the movie for what it's worth.. :wink:
Qui invidet minor est - He who envies is the lesser man
Steve Crandell

Post by Steve Crandell »

paulcadogan wrote:Of course the comments here all have absolute merit. Even fiction-based non-sci-fi movies have scenes which defy even the basic laws of physics...

But remember the vast majority of the movie audience is not necessarily like us (and even WE can't agree all the time on what is historically accurate!). If a history-based movie can draw in an audience, entertain them, hold their attention and in the process they learn a bit and appreciate the sacrifices and ordeals of those who lived the real events, then it has served its purpose. Some of the audience may become interested enough to research the topic and get a more accurate appreciation...

If you want a portrayal of pure history, watch a documentary....but...even documentaries have problems getting it right!

My philosophy is to lighten up (note I said lightEN up! :D ), relax, throw in as many "Yeah, right!"s and "Oh, PLEASE!"s as I need to, and enjoy the movie for what it's worth.. :wink:
Well said!