Newspaper article

Discussions about the history of the ship, technical details, etc.

Moderator: Bill Jurens

Dave Saxton
Supporter

Newspaper article

Post by Dave Saxton »

Found this 1989 article on a search engine. I was actually looking for another recent article and which uses this site as a source, to link to, but I can't find it. This other article is rather interesting though, if you over look some of the common errors of most general news articles about the Bismarck. This article claims that one of the supply ships for Rhine Exercise was boarded parallel to the weather ships captures to obtain Enigma keys:

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/5231 ... tml?pg=all
Entering a night sea battle is an awesome business.The enveloping darkness, hiding the enemy's.. seems a living thing, malignant and oppressive.Swishing water at the bow and stern mark an inexorable advance toward an unknown destiny.
A Raven

Re: Newspaper article

Post by A Raven »

More errors and holes than a piece of swiss cheese. Utter crap most of it.
Dave Saxton
Supporter

Post by Dave Saxton »

Indeed.
Entering a night sea battle is an awesome business.The enveloping darkness, hiding the enemy's.. seems a living thing, malignant and oppressive.Swishing water at the bow and stern mark an inexorable advance toward an unknown destiny.
A Raven

Post by A Raven »

Especially the part about the supply ship, but then the writer was a journalist.
Dave Saxton
Supporter

Post by Dave Saxton »

That is one of the reasons I posted the link, despite all the errors. I had never heard of this particular boarding to capture Enigma keys before. I wonder if he had it mixed up with the boardings of the weather ships before and after Rhine Ubung?
wadinga

Post by wadinga »

Hi All,

I can't even find a reference to a ship called Gdynia :?

All the best

wadinga
"There seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today!"
tommy303

Post by tommy303 »

There was an SS Gydnia, but she was sunk by Stukas on 2 September 1939. I should think any German ship named after the port would have had the name Gotenhafen instead.

Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
They stood and Earth's foundations stay;
What God abandoned these defended;
And saved the sum of things for pay.