The Court Martial for the Denmark Strait

Discussions about the history of the ship, technical details, etc.

Moderator: Bill Jurens

wadinga

Re: The Court Martial for the Denmark Strait

Post by wadinga »

Hello Antonio,
154. Will you tell us where you were and what you saw of the HOOD's action.
I was handling my ship on the compass platform and saw the approach of the HOOD and PRINCE OF WALES towards the BISMARCK and PRINZ EUGEN and the commencement of the action. NORFOLK was fine on the starboard quarter of our heavy ships, both of which were plainly visible from near the waterline upwards. HOOD opened fire first - probably from all turrets - followed shortly by BISMARCK. Shooting on both sides appeared accurate and HOOD was very quickly straddled; straddles were also observed on the BISMARCK. After a few minutes of action I observed what appeared to me to be a hit, which I should estimate to be on or near the starboard above water torpedo tubes. This hit, which was quite separate in time from the firing of HOOD's salvoes, had the appearance of a brilliant splash of flame, as I have tried to indicate in rough sketch Phase I. I remarked on this to Admiral Wake-Walker and suggested that she had been hit near the torpedo tubes.
You are of course right that Phillips spoke as a witness on the 12th August, however his estimate of distance to Hood at this time is merely inferred by you from his statement above and your estimate of what part of the hull could be seen, whilst conveniently ignoring the effects of cold water mirage refractions commented on by several witnesses. You are even blind to his words in the first half of a sentence, the second half of which you are very keen on.
NORFOLK was fine on the starboard quarter of our heavy ships
ie Norfolk was close to being directly astern of Holland's ships.

Much more specific, Paymaster Balmer says “
I cannot remember the range but it was about 15 miles.”
You have identified him as one of WW’s staff, and therefore happy to perjure himself, and yet he gets no award of recognition of his loyalty to the Grand Conspiracy. :?

Leading Writer Collard responds to a question:
76. Could you see if the armoured doors in the side, masking the torpedo tubes were open or shut?
It was quite impossible to see as the ship was too far down over the horizon, for me to see from my position.
He was looking through binoculars and his evidence directly contradicts Phillips’ making it clear that if the Captain ever saw Hood’s side it was as a result of a temporary refraction not seen by Collard. Phillips was busy conning his ship, Collard had time on his hands to observe, and as a writer, training to record accurately, I know which witness I would believe.

Wake-Walker’s report K856/189 also included a map. On Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:37 am you reproduced the header for what you have always described as Norfolk’s “original” plot. However it is actually dated 5th June and drawn at a small scale which allows the whole pursuit to be displayed, the same as Admiralty chart 2060A covering the entire Eastern Atlantic. As Marc observed at the time this is obviously not “original” at all, but a strategic simplification and rationalization produced after return to port, and incapable of recording at this scale, the detail the real large scale tactical plot which Pinchin “tirelessly” produced over four days and for which he actually received his citation. Where is that document? Don't tell me, destroyed to hide the evidence. :stubborn: I believe you have reproduced postage stamp samples of this small scale map to justify various points in your arguments, including positions for Suffolk which cannot really be justified, since D/F, even if used by Kelburn (see citation) gives only bearings, not ranges.

You have now confirmed the citation is dated June 5th, i.e. 2 months before Pinchin created “the Plot” for the Second Enquiry, the so-called “shameful”act for which you have always maintained he was recommended for an award.

Pinchin recommended for award long before he actually produces the goods, Balmer refused an award even though he faithfully delivers his lines. And when we be told of the part Able Seaman Disborough played in the Great Lie which Wake-Walker had him commended for?

The case for the Great Conspiracy cannot be said to be collapsing, because it had no substance in the first place.

Mr Raven, I would be honoured if you were to quote some of my observations when you get your opportunity to refute Antonio's assertions should they (heaven forfend!) ever make it to print. Doubly-honoured, were you to plough through my humble article at http://www.hmshood.com/history/denmarks ... olland.htm to reach my true name at the bottom.

All the best

wadinga
"There seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today!"
Antonio Bonomi

Post by Antonio Bonomi »

Hello everybody,

@ Wadinga,

This all story is really becoming ridiculous … we have a Captain declaring he was having 3 guns working … than 3 days after the working guns were 5 … and a week after they were 9 … we have a RearAdm declaring, drawing and signing for 20.000 yards distance ( 10 sea miles ) from Hood on the Hood First Board of Inquiry on May 30, 1941 … than just 5 days after on a signed document to his superior he writes 15 sea miles ( 30.000 yards ) distance and sign the document himself, ... and here, on the same document, we have the decoration request.

The cover up is already started since Norfolk was now anchored close to KGV in Scapa Flow since few days, … so Wake-Walker and Tovey had time to spend together talking about what to do next, ... to fix the problems and proceed with the cover up and the decorations.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6735&p=65037#p65037

Here the photographic evidence of what I am stating :
KGV_Norfolk_1941_Scapa_Flow_02.jpg
KGV_Norfolk_1941_Scapa_Flow_02.jpg (94.5 KiB) Viewed 1376 times
We have an Home Fleet Admiral declaring a battleship retiring after a couple of minutes, … than signing a document where he wrote 13 minutes after … and on we go with an incorrect document, “ The Plot “, produced to support the new declaration of 15 sea miles, … and an entire admiral staff used to support the flag officer new declarations to the Hood second board on August 12, 1941, … since he was in clear difficulties, … from his own superficial and signed declarations.

On this all shameful way to do things … we have one officer that with dignity wanted to maintain his correct declarations across the 2 Hood Board of inquiry : Captain Alfred Jerome Lucian Phillips, the HMS Norfolk Captain.

I see that now your defense line, to refute his declarations, is reduced to declare Capt A.J.L. Phillips being subject to " mirage visual effects ", ... although differently than Capt Ellis, … he never mentioned any visual refraction problem that morning.

I have to tell you that this line of conduct from your side is similar to the one you are trying to use to refute Adm Tovey Court Martial declaration ( dementia ) or Adm Pound ones ( he was going to die for a brain tumor so he was surely sick) ... etc etc ...

When you are with no more arguments and cornered, … than the Officer health status is always a good help, … or like in this case you try a visual mirage effect, ... the same one used to justify Capt Ellis manoeuvre that morning, sailing away on the opposite direction after the “ Enemy in sight ! “ signal.

You are going nowhere with this trials ... :negative:

You know Capt Phillips, ... differently than Capt Ellis had nothing to try to " cover up " on his side, ... he had the RearAdm, a Flag Officer on board his ship, ... and everything happened on board the Norfolk was to be asked directly to him, ... being the senior Officer on board, ... as obvious.

Capt A.J.L. Phillips made is second board declaration on August 28, 1941, not on August 12, 1941 ... confirming he saw the Hood and PoW from close the waterline upwards, ... both with naked eyes and thru glasses, ... while his Flag officer was declaring he could only see the battleships top upperworks, ... just 16 days before on August 12, 1941 :
I think you will find that from 30,000 yards the only thing you can see of the "HOOD" is probably the top of her superstructure and her funnels and bridge, and therefore it is quite impossible for me to say at what deck level it was.
... while the ship Captain declared after that he was showing an Hood hull detail to his Admiral too ( the torpedo tubes ) ... :shock: ... basically confirming his own Hood First Board declaration of 20.000 yards ( 10 sea miles ) being correct and reinforcing everything with a direct reference with his Flag Officer, ... that 16 days before had changed completely his own previous board signed declarations adding 10.000 yards ( or 5 sea miles ).

Now I have found for you all who was Ltnt Cdr S.H. PInchin, … demonstrating you that they used his staff members to modify RearAdm W.F. Wake-Walker first hand superficial declarations.

Do you mind to find out for me what has been done to Captain Alfred Jerome Lucian Phillips, … to the HMS Norfolk Captain, … for having sustained in front of the Hood Second board of inquiry too his fact version ? For having done what he did ?

What I have found here in is highly suspicious :

http://uboat.net/allies/commanders/1980.html
Warship Commands listed for Alfred Jerome Lucian Phillips, RN

HMS Keith (D 06) Capt. Destroyer from 31 Jul 1939 to 6 Sep 1939
HMS Montrose (D 01) Capt. Destroyer from 6 Sep 1939 to 27 Sep 1939
HMS Norfolk (78) Capt. Heavy cruiser from 12 Feb 1940 to 20 Jan 1942
I suspect we will find something interesting here as well … another " can of worms " ... so please go ahead and tell me now after the October 14, 1941 obvious due recognition to Capt A.J.L. Phillips, … what was done to this Officer, when and by whom ?

Lets see how long it will take you to find it out ... :think:

P.S. Reference the Cape Matapan thread, ... I like the Francesco Mattesini work so much, ... that after the book on Bismarck, ... where I will first release the complete DS fact version, ... I have the intention to produce something similar for the Denmark Strait.

Bye Antonio :D
In order to honor a soldier, we have to tell the truth about what happened over there. The whole, hard, cold truth. And until we do that, we dishonor her and every soldier who died, who gave their life for their country. ( Courage Under Fire )
dunmunro

Post by dunmunro »

Antonio Bonomi wrote:Hello everybody,

@ Wadinga,

This all story is really becoming ridiculous … we have a Captain declaring he was having 3 guns working … than 3 days after the working guns were 5 …

T
We've discussed how radio signals often suffered from transcription errors if they were received at all. I know that I've mentioned that a transcription error led to RN battleships withdrawing from the waters around Crete because a radio message suffered a transcription error that indicated that they were short of AA ammo, when in fact, they had ample remaining:
9. Late on the 22nd May, a "Most Immediate
" message was received by the Comman<
der-in-Chief,- Mediterranean, from the
Rear Admiral Commanding, Seventh Cruiser
Squadron, from which it appeared, owing to
calligraphic error, that the battleships of
Force A1 had no pom-pom ammunition left.
In fact they had plenty. It was on this
account that orders were given at 0408/23rd
May for all forces to'withdraw to the eastward.
.Had this error not occurred the battleships
would not have been ordered back to
Alexandria and would have been available as
a support and rallying point for the 5th
Destroyer Flotilla on the morning of the 23rd
May, so that the loss of KELLY .and KASHMIR^
might well have been avoided (see .paragraph
46)
(Cunningham's despatch)

Mistakes happen.
dunmunro

Post by dunmunro »

Antonio Bonomi wrote:
You know Capt Phillips, ... differently than Capt Ellis had nothing to try to " cover up " on his side, ... he had the RearAdm, a Flag Officer on board his ship, ... and everything happened on board the Norfolk was to be asked directly to him, ... being the senior Officer on board, ... as obvious.

Capt A.J.L. Phillips made is second board declaration on August 28, 1941, not on August 12, 1941 ... confirming he saw the Hood and PoW from close the waterline upwards, ... both with naked eyes and thru glasses, ... while his Flag officer was declaring he could only see the battleships top upperworks, ... just 16 days before on August 12, 1941 :
The captain is responsible for fighting his ship and for it's safety. The distance to Hood is actually quite meaningless, as it is the distance to Bismarck that really matters. You want us to believe that Norfolk was close to Hood and therefore within effective gun range to (and from) Bismarck yet Phillips isn't protesting to W-W to either open fire (nor is the Baron demanding to fire in Bismarck) or move out of gun range from Bismarck, nor does Norfolk's gunnery officer suggest opening fire, and in fact records that they are well out of effective gun range to Bismarck. If Norfolk really was within effective gun range to Bismarck then Phillips had plenty to hide and to be prosecuted for - Phillip's only defence against the charge of failing to engage the enemy would be that W-W ordered him not to open fire, yet there is no suggestion of that, and even if W-W had ordered Phillips not to open fire he would probably have been judged guilty anyways because his compliance to W-W would be contrary to his higher duty to engage the enemy in support of Holland.
Alberto Virtuani

Post by Alberto Virtuani »

Dunmunro wrote: ".......yet Phillips isn't protesting to W-W to either open fire ...... or move out of gun range.....Phillip's only defence against the charge of failing to engage the enemy would be that W-W ordered him not to open fire....,"
Hi Duncan,
do you have any evidence of the conversation/discussion happened in Norfolk's compass platform after 5:37 ?
Who gave the order to deviate from course 240°to 220° after 5:41 to carefully avoid closing distance ?
Who ordered the immediate turn away at 6:00 just at Hood explosion time ?

In absence of any evidence, I would assume it was Wake-Walker giving the orders. If it was Phillips, then WW should have been anyway removed for clear lack of leadership at sea..... :lol:

The only fact here is that we have a first board where every Norfolk officer (including WW himself) confirmed the distance from Hood (around 10 sm at 6:00), and a second board where WW and his staff "changed" their mind, while the other ship members, even if carefully not asked the direct question of the distance :oops: , confirmed that Hood hull was clearly visible.

Regarding the typo/transcription errors, like 6:03 becoming 6:13 (actually being 6:01:30) or 5 guns becoming 3 (actually being 9), the most evident "transcription" error is the fragment of the gunnery report from Norfolk stating Hood open fire at 6:06 :shock: and minimum distance from BS was at 6:22 :shock:, that is inconsistent both with the battle timing and with Norfolk own plotted course (minimum distance should have been at 6:14 according with wrong GO timing)...... Definitely mistakes do happen !

Bye, Alberto
"It takes three years to build a ship; it takes three centuries to build a tradition" (Adm.A.B.Cunningham)

"There's always a danger running in the enemy at close range" (Adm.W.F.Wake-Walker)
Antonio Bonomi

Post by Antonio Bonomi »

Hello everybody,

@ Dunmunro,

I know about the typo possible errors, ... I know about the tolerances, ... I know about the possible health status of some persons, ... I known about the possible mirage effects, ... I know about the timing mismatches on some reports, ... etc etc etc ...

We have long discussed and shared our personal opinions about all the above aspects widely used ... like never before ... to try to justify what cannot be justified about this event.

Given the fact that you are so good on looking into the Royal Navy records, ... do you mind to help me finding out what has been done to Capt A.J.L. Phillips.

I have a bad feeling about it, ... having understood the overall scenario he was into on that period ... :think:

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

In order to honor a soldier, we have to tell the truth about what happened over there. The whole, hard, cold truth. And until we do that, we dishonor her and every soldier who died, who gave their life for their country. ( Courage Under Fire )
Herr Nilsson

Post by Herr Nilsson »

Phillips was Director of the Local Defense Divison at the Admiralty after his command on HMS Norfolk.
Regards

Marc

"Thank God we blow up and sink more easily." (unknown officer from HMS Norfolk)
Antonio Bonomi

Post by Antonio Bonomi »

Hello everybody,

@ Herr Nilsson,

I see, ... " Promoveatur ut amoveatur " ... so promoted to be removed.
I am sure you can provide me your source Marc. Thanks in advance.

What I am looking for are the reasons for it and who did it, ... in military terms, ... and what has been written on his personal records, ... which is the only thing that counts for any Officer.

Alberto Virtuani

Antonio Bonomi wrote: "....Promoveatur ut amoveatur...."
Hi Antonio,
I disagree with your view that removing someone from his command at sea, giving him a "staff" job can be considered in any case as a "promotion" during a war, especially because, from the link you posted above, his only "promotion" to flag rank happened in 1947 when already retired after 1/1944 :think:

Bye, Alberto
"It takes three years to build a ship; it takes three centuries to build a tradition" (Adm.A.B.Cunningham)

"There's always a danger running in the enemy at close range" (Adm.W.F.Wake-Walker)
Herr Nilsson

Post by Herr Nilsson »

Antonio Bonomi wrote:Hello everybody,

@ Herr Nilsson,

I see, ... " Promoveatur ut amoveatur " ... so promoted to be removed.
I am sure you can provide me your source Marc. Thanks in advance.

What I am looking for are the reasons for it and who did it, ... in military terms, ... and what has been written on his personal records, ... which is the only thing that counts for any Officer.

Just read ADM 196-92-188 and ADM 196-55-118. Once again I've have the dim feeling you're playing games with us and you already know what's written in his personal records.

Edit: and here is the source for the D of LDD
ajlp.jpg
ajlp.jpg (32.06 KiB) Viewed 1327 times
Regards

Marc

A Raven

Post by A Raven »

Mr Waddingham,
I believe that I may be the only person posting on this board who has read more documents on the Bismarck affair than Mr Bononi.
This I did, because of the book that I am putting together that covers cruiser operations of the RN up to the end of 1941.
In addition to the main narratives, I went through the side, associated files, something that many do not do. I have not read your article, but will do so in a day or two.
As to Mr Bononi's views, I'm afraid that you are on a loser. There is no way that you will be able to get him to change his mind. He is one of those persons who is utterly fixated, David Ervine comes to mind. There is no known cure for this. Logic, reason et al, play no part. The changing of the official record to produce a story where everyone is talking from the same page, is a normal thing when it comes to narratives of the RN during the war. None of them I have found are for reasons of cover up, and certainly not to keep secret any act of cowardice.
There is in NOTHING in any of the files that relate directly, or indirectly to the action with the Bismarck that give any sane person cause for pause.
I will wait for Mr Bononi's article to appear in print, and then when I have received a full and accurate translation into English I will write a peer review and submit it to the journal for publication.

wadinga wrote:Hello Antonio,
154. Will you tell us where you were and what you saw of the HOOD's action.
I was handling my ship on the compass platform and saw the approach of the HOOD and PRINCE OF WALES towards the BISMARCK and PRINZ EUGEN and the commencement of the action. NORFOLK was fine on the starboard quarter of our heavy ships, both of which were plainly visible from near the waterline upwards. HOOD opened fire first - probably from all turrets - followed shortly by BISMARCK. Shooting on both sides appeared accurate and HOOD was very quickly straddled; straddles were also observed on the BISMARCK. After a few minutes of action I observed what appeared to me to be a hit, which I should estimate to be on or near the starboard above water torpedo tubes. This hit, which was quite separate in time from the firing of HOOD's salvoes, had the appearance of a brilliant splash of flame, as I have tried to indicate in rough sketch Phase I. I remarked on this to Admiral Wake-Walker and suggested that she had been hit near the torpedo tubes.
You are of course right that Phillips spoke as a witness on the 12th August, however his estimate of distance to Hood at this time is merely inferred by you from his statement above and your estimate of what part of the hull could be seen, whilst conveniently ignoring the effects of cold water mirage refractions commented on by several witnesses. You are even blind to his words in the first half of a sentence, the second half of which you are very keen on.
NORFOLK was fine on the starboard quarter of our heavy ships
ie Norfolk was close to being directly astern of Holland's ships.

Much more specific, Paymaster Balmer says “
I cannot remember the range but it was about 15 miles.”
You have identified him as one of WW’s staff, and therefore happy to perjure himself, and yet he gets no award of recognition of his loyalty to the Grand Conspiracy. :?

Leading Writer Collard responds to a question:
76. Could you see if the armoured doors in the side, masking the torpedo tubes were open or shut?
It was quite impossible to see as the ship was too far down over the horizon, for me to see from my position.
He was looking through binoculars and his evidence directly contradicts Phillips’ making it clear that if the Captain ever saw Hood’s side it was as a result of a temporary refraction not seen by Collard. Phillips was busy conning his ship, Collard had time on his hands to observe, and as a writer, training to record accurately, I know which witness I would believe.

Wake-Walker’s report K856/189 also included a map. On Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:37 am you reproduced the header for what you have always described as Norfolk’s “original” plot. However it is actually dated 5th June and drawn at a small scale which allows the whole pursuit to be displayed, the same as Admiralty chart 2060A covering the entire Eastern Atlantic. As Marc observed at the time this is obviously not “original” at all, but a strategic simplification and rationalization produced after return to port, and incapable of recording at this scale, the detail the real large scale tactical plot which Pinchin “tirelessly” produced over four days and for which he actually received his citation. Where is that document? Don't tell me, destroyed to hide the evidence. :stubborn: I believe you have reproduced postage stamp samples of this small scale map to justify various points in your arguments, including positions for Suffolk which cannot really be justified, since D/F, even if used by Kelburn (see citation) gives only bearings, not ranges.

You have now confirmed the citation is dated June 5th, i.e. 2 months before Pinchin created “the Plot” for the Second Enquiry, the so-called “shameful”act for which you have always maintained he was recommended for an award.

Pinchin recommended for award long before he actually produces the goods, Balmer refused an award even though he faithfully delivers his lines. And when we be told of the part Able Seaman Disborough played in the Great Lie which Wake-Walker had him commended for?

The case for the Great Conspiracy cannot be said to be collapsing, because it had no substance in the first place.

Mr Raven, I would be honoured if you were to quote some of my observations when you get your opportunity to refute Antonio's assertions should they (heaven forfend!) ever make it to print. Doubly-honoured, were you to plough through my humble article at http://www.hmshood.com/history/denmarks ... olland.htm to reach my true name at the bottom.

All the best

wadinga
Alberto Virtuani

@Herrr Nilsson
Hi Marc, thanks for your usual precision !

Does anybody know what were the "Local Defense Division" mission and operative task in 1942 ? Can this be considered a promotion (and not only a removal) for a Captain with a command at sea ?

Bye, Alberto

Herr Nilsson

Post by Herr Nilsson »

In his testimonial Wake-Walker writes:
Two years at sea culminating in a long period of bad weather at sea and harbour finally affected his nerves but I'm certain it is only temporary and a period of rest will right him.
So I think his transfer was for health reasons.
Regards

Marc

Alberto Virtuani

:shock:

Another coincidence.......

Thanks Marc

Bye, Alberto

Herr Nilsson

Post by Herr Nilsson »

What coincidence?
Regards

Marc