Prelude to Matapan

Discussions about the history of the ship, technical details, etc.

Moderator: Bill Jurens

pgollin

Re: Prelude to Matapan

Post by pgollin »

Thanks for that.

Re. my idea of a "military" option, I was thinking that if convoys/warships weren't encountered then a bombardment of a coastal target might take place (where battleship calibre guns - and range - might be more useful ????).

Again, I am somewhat confused as to why, if the Supermarina files are available, there is not a proper explanation for the planning of the operation, including the choice of ships.

Alberto Virtuani

Post by Alberto Virtuani »

@pgollin: I cannot say there is no document. I have never seen any and my books authors don't mention this aspect as they don't mention any other military option, that were not included in the official order.
Bye, Alberto
"It takes three years to build a ship; it takes three centuries to build a tradition" (Adm.A.B.Cunningham)

"There's always a danger running in the enemy at close range" (Adm.W.F.Wake-Walker)
pgollin

Post by pgollin »

So ALL books are missing the vital information regarding the planning of the operation - seems to match YOUR definition of a conspiracy - Have you accused the Italian Navy of a cover-up and demanded that all the admirals should have been court martialled ?

?????
Alberto Virtuani

ALL books ? vital information ?? what are you talking about ??? If you want to speak of court-martial, please use that thread.....

??????
"It takes three years to build a ship; it takes three centuries to build a tradition" (Adm.A.B.Cunningham)

"There's always a danger running in the enemy at close range" (Adm.W.F.Wake-Walker)
pgollin

Post by pgollin »

Oh dear - you really do like to avoid the issue of your standards.

From what you have said, ALL books do not cover the most basic information regarding the planning and choices despite the Supermarina files being available. According to your ideas this means that there has been a conspiracy to cover-up the truth, but for some reason YOUR logic does not apply to the Italian navy and Italian authors.

Why do you not judge the Italian navy and Italian authors by the same "standard" that you want others to apply ?

You seem incapable of understanding what happened in WW2.
Alberto Virtuani

Coulld you Please quote my sentenze instead of inventing things to avoid discussing?

pgollin

Post by pgollin »

PLEASE could you stop avoiding your hypocrisy ?
Alberto Virtuani

PLEASE could you stop inventing things in your mind ? Try, if you are able, to stay to facts related to the prelude to Matapan....

pgollin

Post by pgollin »

I have. I have noted that according to you the Supermarina files are available. That according to you none of the books cover the reasons for the use of only one battleship. Thus, according to YOUR logic displayed elsewhere, Italian authors have deliberately avoided telling the truth about the matter.

And, according to YOUR logic expressed on this site this shows your hypocrisy in not decrying the authors for their dishonesty.

All you have to do is look at your other posts and admit your hypocrisy.
Alberto Virtuani

Elsewhere where ? You are confusing authors with admirals, I'm afraid. .....Unable to quote any of my statements, as usual.....

You are INVENTING things that I have never said, trying to provoke, while I have tried to provide you with some info...... what a pathetic behavior.....

pgollin

Post by pgollin »

Do you deny my claims ?

Why do you have the hypocritical attitude to Italian authors ?
Alberto Virtuani

Yes I do, they are totally incorrect.
Please, try to quote the sentence of mine and, unlike you, I'm ready to admit a mistake (if any......) !

A Raven

Post by A Raven »

You are in error.

Alberto Virtuani wrote:Yes I do, they are totally incorrect.
Please, try to quote the sentence of mine and, unlike you, I'm ready to admit a mistake (if any......) !
A Raven

Post by A Raven »

You are in error.

Alberto Virtuani wrote:Yes I do, they are totally incorrect.
pgollin

Post by pgollin »

As far as I can see, you and Antonio are trolling these boards. You make ridiculous claims and have totally double standards between Italian and British actions.

You make up the idea that the Italians could not use their main guns at night.

You ignore the fact that Italian authors ignore Italian files whilst condemning British authors for not using non-existent files.

All in all a mess - of your own making.