Cover up synopsis

Discussions about the history of the ship, technical details, etc.

Moderator: Bill Jurens

Antonio Bonomi

Re: Cover up synopsis

Post by Antonio Bonomi »

Hello everybody,

first of all I want to thank personally both CAG as well as Paul Cadogan for their post's above and coming back into the discussion, ... and I invite everybody else to do it like they did, ... because it is by the inputs of everybody here in that this work as become so precise and deeply analyzed, ... because as many and valuable inputs I have ( and I do not care if you agree, lightly disagree or strongly disagree with me ) ... that this work is carefully scrutinized, ... washed and re-washed many times ... and becomes hopefully better, ... which is my real objective.
So, welcome back ! This said I will go into the responses.

@ CAG,

I think you got my point now.
What I have demonstrated is that Adm Tovey, despite knowing precisely the reality, wrote a different story to Their Lordships with point 19. This was accepted being the reality by the Admiralty and determined their actions after ( no inquiry and the King rewarding recommendation ) and only on 1948 the Admiralty itself realized that those inputs by Adm Tovey were incorrect.
This is the " Cover Up " occurred, and nobody can write that it did not happen, since there are Official documents demonstrating it, I have just listed them and presented to you all, ... nothing more.

I see your point 18 and it does contain other incorrect statements for timing and events. My personal opinion about it is that Adm Tovey wanted to "embellish" the story for the Hood since the Admiralty was strongly looking and asking for something positive about Hood to be declared for positive propaganda reasons on that particular moment. This can be easily realized by reading some other documents too.

@ Wadinga,

Wake-Walker awareness and the Flank Marking by the heavy cruisers are very important points, one related to the other, and of course everything is related to their distance from the enemy before and during the battle, so to point 17 of Adm Tovey dispatches.
We have long discussed in details above about Wake-Walker awareness and I will not repeat myslef about it.
About the Flank Marking we have Capt Ellis autobiography that explains it in full details, including the trial to contact the Hood to communicate it. On the other hand, the Flank Marking intention is also clearly mentioned on the Norfolk gunnery report by the gunnery Officer Ltnt Cdr Duncan Lachlan Johnston : " Attempt to Flank Mark for battleships failed owing the inability to find a suitable frequency before action was broken off. " As you can read it is just a perfect match with Capt Ellis declaration about that intention on Suffolk too on that moment : Flank Marking !
Johnston report is very interesting to be read about all this, since he wrote that he was ready to Flank Mark, but failed the radio contact Hood/PoW in order to do it, while he did not open fire because : " Fire was not opened owing the impossibility to see the fall of shot ". So it seems to me by reading his report that he could see the battleships fall of shot, and consequently do the Flank Marking successfully if he only could contact via radio them on the assigned gunnery frequency, which he failed, ... but he decided not to open fire because he was not sure to be able to correctly spot his own fall of shot inside the main battleship ones he could spot and communicate, ... since he was ready to do it.

Am I reading correctly those statements ? What do you think about it ?
At what distance from the enemy this could have happened for both Norfolk and Suffolk ?

@ Paul Cadogan,

you asked me :
Are you saying that the honors conferred on Leach an WW were based entirely on the DS battle?

Of course NO ! The recognition's took in consideration the whole efforts and not only the Denmark Strait engagement.

But I am stating that if Adm Tovey dispatches had been written the way they should have been, very likely the things would have gone a lot differently, because at that point the Admiralty would have had to manage both positive as well as some negative inputs, and nobody knows today ( and never will ) where those additional evaluations would have driven the Admiralty toward to, even if is not that difficult to realize it.
This is what the " Cover Up " is all about, and as I wrote above is well demonstrated. Somebody ( Adm Tovey ) took the freedom to change the event descriptions on his Official Dispatches ( point 17 and 19 ) and by doing so he removed any possibility for a negative potential evaluation to be done by the Admiralty, that consequently had only positive things to put together and went for the recognition recommendations.

I hope you will agree with me that the above occurrence cannot be ignored given the documents we have at hand today and the Admiralty own admission about that declaration error on 1948.

You very properly asked me about the point 13 of the Admiralty where one can read what was the evaluation done, based on what input and realize what could have been the evaluation in case something different was going to be declared.

By reading thru it now, ... you can respond yourself to your statement here below :
... and instead both officers would have been left off the award list and an inquiry/court martial held instead ?
Here it is :
Admiralty_Point_13.jpg
Admiralty_Point_13.jpg (41.57 KiB) Viewed 1169 times
You can read now what was the reference description of the events that was evaluated by the Their Lordship - Admiralty Board, ... ONLY the incorrect description of the events and timing written by Adm Tovey point 19 on his dispatches ( ref. ... fully set out ... ). The key statement being : " ... AFTER being damaged ... ".
You can read yourself in that statement how everything is ONLY DIRECTLY CORRELATED to Adm Tovey incorrect descriptions of the event sequence and timing contained on his despatches point 19 to sustain Their Lordships positive evaluation of the facts. The timing and consequent damages event description being declared incorrect on 1948 by the Admiralty itself.

SIMILARLY ( I use Their Lordships word here ) ... you can read in which way they evaluated Wake-Walker failure to re-engage, and you can just imagine the evaluation in case they had to judge the reality that was hidden to them ( real awareness, close distance to the enemy and failure to engage it ) by Adm Tovey writing the point 17 on that way.

Here the guy that signed that document for Their Lordships on September 10th, 1941 : Sir James Sidney Barnes
Sir_James_Sidney_Barnes.jpg
Sir_James_Sidney_Barnes.jpg (39.57 KiB) Viewed 1169 times
You can see Sir Barnes on this Admiralty Board photo between Adm Pound and Churchill on 1939, as well as you can see him on the previous IWM Admiralty board photo I attached above taken on 1943.
Admiralt_Board_6_December_1939_Barnes_Churchill_02.jpg
Admiralt_Board_6_December_1939_Barnes_Churchill_02.jpg (78.72 KiB) Viewed 1169 times
You wrote also :
You have indeed built a good circumstantial case on the face of it, but the problem is there is so much that can be argued to the contrary, whether each individual accepts it or not, that "reasonable doubt" will persist and you are ending up with a hung jury ! I for one, cannot vote to convict Tovey on his intentions, but on making statements that were erroneous to some shape or form (e.g. 18 and 19) however ... that he certainly did.

I do wholeheartedly agree however that V-Adm Holland deserves MUCH better.
All I am asking here to you all is to realize and acknowledge what has been done by Adm Tovey and the way it was read, accepted and used by the Admiralty, and I can hardly see anyone able not to agree and accept the reality given what I showed you with the Official documents.

That occurrence is what I call the " Cover Up " and it was real, a true occurrence, and I read with satisfaction that you are ready to agree with me of course.

I like a lot your final statement about ViceAdm Lancelot Holland, which memory I try to respect as much as I can too, he deserved MUCH, MUCH BETTER !

Bye Antonio :D
In order to honor a soldier, we have to tell the truth about what happened over there. The whole, hard, cold truth. And until we do that, we dishonor her and every soldier who died, who gave their life for their country. ( Courage Under Fire )
wadinga

Post by wadinga »

Hello Antonio,

You say
On the other hand, the Flank Marking intention is also clearly mentioned on the Norfolk gunnery report by the gunnery Officer Ltnt Cdr Duncan Lachlan Johnston : " Attempt to Flank Mark for battleships failed owing the inability to find a suitable frequency before action was broken off. " As you can read it is just a perfect match with Capt Ellis declaration about that intention on Suffolk too on that moment : Flank Marking !
Is this the same Duncan Lachlan Johnston whom you quoted on Oct 19th last year
But we need to keep into account her Gunnery data from Ltnt Johnston, I mean the 30.400 yards at open fire ( 05.52 and 30 secs ) with BS on 275° bearing and PG on 272° bearing, and 16 minutes after 27.200 yards at cease fire ( 06.09 ).
If he thought he was able to flank mark at 30,400 yds then why does Ellis' observation in his hazy sketchy, nine sentence memoir mean he was any closer? We know where the inaccurate 18,000 yd reference comes from. The radar ranging on Vaughn's own aircraft with a range that dropped to 12,000 yds. "Something was evidently wrong". Good job Ellis' didn't write 12,000 in his innacurate, irrelevant, inadequately researched nine sentence memoir, you would have had an even harder job claiming a 10,000 ton heavy cruiser was invisible to Busch at only 6 miles, let alone 9.

So now the allegation against W-W is that he was never closer than 27,200 yds or 30,400, but he should have opened fire anyway, and it was his fault they were that far away anyway, because he should have realised earlier that the BCF was not where he thought it was, 45 miles behind him with the destroyers, but in fact about 14 miles ahead of him. Before he received the decoded enemy in sight at about 05:50 when he logged the identity of the BCF.

BTW since you are in possession of Vaughn's full report, perhaps you can reproduce the part where Suffolk asks him for a bearing to the enemy, (because presumably they are so far away, Suffolk can't see them anymore).

All the best

wadinga
"There seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today!"
Antonio Bonomi

Post by Antonio Bonomi »

Hello everybody,

@ Wadinga,

sure it is the same gunnery Officer on board the HMS Norfolk.
He was ready to open fire if he was confident to be able to spot his own fall of shot.
He was ready to Flank Mark and communicate it to Hood and PoW if he was going to be able to establish a communication with them.
This is what he wrote on his report.
Question for you now, do you agree he was on board the HMS Norfolk and he was aware of Hood and PoW presence ?

You wrote :
BTW since you are in possession of Vaughn's full report, perhaps you can reproduce the part where Suffolk asks him for a bearing to the enemy, (because presumably they are so far away, Suffolk can't see them anymore).
I have both Vaughn as well as Pinhorm reports, ... and much more.
The book and statement you are referring to above and before on a previous post is incorrect both for the airplane as well as for the warship involved and contacted.

This is the problem with many books and authors, they do a superficial research work and do not refer to the Official documents.

We will do a better historical researched work ... at least we will try.

Not to confuse everybody here in with the airplane stuffs, ... lets manage this one on the dedicated airplane thread, ... I see what you want to realize and achieve, ... no problems for me to show the reality to you.

In order to honor a soldier, we have to tell the truth about what happened over there. The whole, hard, cold truth. And until we do that, we dishonor her and every soldier who died, who gave their life for their country. ( Courage Under Fire )
wadinga

Post by wadinga »

Hello Antonio,
Sean ,.. you can evaluate that Norfolk gunnery report the way you like it to ... I did it already from my side and it smells really bad ... as far as I am concerned.
This is what you said a year ago. Has the aroma improved at all? Does it now smell fragrant? You seem to accept Johnston's report today and you accept his ranges and that he felt he could flank mark at 13 to 15 miles and yet your only remaining defence for Suffolk being closer is
As you can read it is just a perfect match with Capt Ellis declaration about that intention on Suffolk too on that moment : Flank Marking !
If Johnston can flank mark at those ranges, so can Suffolk.

As for this
We have long discussed in details above about Wake-Walker awareness and I will not repeat myslef about it.
I can understand your position, when you are in a deep, dark hole- stop digging. :D

You provided a log to show Norfolk identified the BCF at only 05:50 ( I recorded my heartfelt appreciation for this and many other examples of generosity) and we know no message to Suffolk about welcome reinforcements preceeded this. Why keep this vital information secret? Because W-W never knew. And if he never knew there was no need to get dangerously close to Bismarck, was there? And when he did know he did all he could, but he wasn't able to intervene.

And before Alecsandros gets his record player out again, no warship has ever hit a moving target at more than 27-28,000 yards so why bother to shoot unless you don't mind wasting ammunition or you are still mourning the death of 1400 men and want to kick out even with not the slightest chance of hitting? Neither Norfolk nor Suffolk needed to do that prior to Hood's loss. (At 29,000 yds a 78.6 sec time of flight angle of fall unknown.)

I hope you will supply some "airplanes stuff" on the other thread.

All the best

wadinga
Antonio Bonomi

Post by Antonio Bonomi »

Hello everybody,

@ Wadinga,

the bad smell on the Norfolk gunnery report was related to the timing and the distance declared ( especially when we consider that also the PoW overestimated the distance before opening fire ) and the Norfolk Gunnery Officer never had the chance to verify his estimated distance with the real distance to the enemy by shooting and check his fall of shot like PoW did finding their evaluated distance was over estimated.
But on the timing and real distances we have other inputs and methodology to verify them, like you have teached me is much better to cross check the bearings rather than taking for granted measured distances that can be over or under estimated.

So my question for you is still valid : do you agree he was on board the HMS Norfolk and he was fully aware of Hood and PoW presence ?

It should be a very easy answer from your side since he wrote that he was ready to open fire if he was confident to be able to spot his own fall of shot and he was ready to Flank Mark and communicate it to Hood and PoW if he was going to be able to establish a communication with them. As I told you, this is what he wrote on his report.

I think you cannot avoid to admit he was well aware about the whole situation around him.

You are right, if they were both in condition to do Flank Marking they should have been in condition to see the enemy pretty well and completely, can you tell me at what distance this can be real for a County class heavy cruiser looking at the Bismarck ?

Sorry, I am not in trouble at all about Wake-Walker full awareness, please respond to the question above about the Norfolk Gunnery Officer well declared awareness and try to explain me why a Gunnery Officer was fully aware about something that the RearAdm commanding his heavy cruiser was still unaware of.

Does that sounds logic and credible to you ?

Francis Marliere

Post by Francis Marliere »

Alberto,

no offense, but we disagree on this subject.
Alberto Virtuani wrote:I do think their fire from effective range can well contribute to the enemy defeat
Alberto, as far as I know, the RN CA were at best at 10 nm, which is long range rather than effective range for these ships.

Alberto Virtuani wrote: as it certainly did Prinz Eugen at Denmark Strait (and she did not apparently disturbed at all Bismarck fire in the first critical minutes of the battle....).
As far as I know, Bismarck opened fire on Hood and PE on Prince of Wales. So PE's fire did not disturb Bismarck's aim.
Moreover, PE has better optics and fire controls than Norfolk and Suffolk and is in effective range since its guns has superior range than British 8" (36.000 yds vs 29.000). Hence, PE has decent chances to hit (and did hit PoW during the battle).
Last, according to www.navweaps.com, PE has lots of 8" shells (80 per gun) while British CA had few ones (20 per gun), which means that ships of CS1, would quickly have to use less effective SAP shells.
So the situation is different and the German decision to engage makes sense. Anyway the German squadron is engaged and there was no choce but to defend themselves.

Alberto Virtuani wrote:Suffolk fired and straddled Bismarck shortly after 18:30 the same day from 21000 yards and fired from 29000 yards to Prinz Eugen,
Ships don't always shoot for effect. Rear-admiral Walke-Walker perfectly knew that the chances to hit at 29.000 yds were very low. IMHO, it is more to put some pression on the German ships than to sink them.
Alberto Virtuani wrote:A 8" shell destroyed the main Bismarck gunnery director on May 27, thus contributing heavily to Bismarck inability to hit her opponents during her final battle.
Different battle, different men, different choices. One can say that British shooting this day was not outstanding, may be because of overconcentration of fire.

Anyway, I don't say that a cruiser should never fire on a battleship which is already engaged by another battleship. I say that it is a difficult decision where you have to carefully weigh the pros and cons.

Ciao,

Francis
Alberto Virtuani

Post by Alberto Virtuani »

Francis Marliere wrote: "As far as I know, Bismarck opened fire on Hood and PE on Prince of Wales. "
Hi Francis,
I'm afraid that PG opened fire at 5:55 on Hood from over 20000 yards. She hit the British flagship before Bismarck, at 5:57 from a range of around 19000 yards, igniting the ready to use AA ammo and causing the famous fire on the boat deck. Other hits on Hood are not officially confirmed, but possible. At around 5:58 she was ordered by Lutjens to switch fire on PoW. PG hit PoW 4 times from progressively shorter distances.

PG and BS fired to the same target for more than 2 minutes, in the critical initial ranging phases, without apparently disturbing their comrades spotting at all.

I think that the British cruisers, with their 16 8" guns had good chances to hit BS and to disturb her fire (or at least to "put some pressure" as you correctly say), but I agree that someone could evaluate things differently (as Capt.Ellis did, according to his autobiography, in which he considered his 4 fore guns not effective from 18000 yards at the start of the battle) . The maximum effective range of the British 8" was anyway 20000 yards (according to Adm. Wake-Walker), thus both British cruisers could have opened fire on Bismarck, albeit at quite long range.

The straddle obtained by Suffolk from 21000 yards after just 3 salvos (in the evening action on the same day) confirms this.

you wrote: "PE has lots of 8" shells (80 per gun) while British CA had few ones (20 per gun)"
According to Suffolk report, she fired 12 broadsides (so 12 shells per gun) in the evening action on May 24.....and Norfolk (according to her Gunnery Report) fired 103 broadsides to Bismarck on May 27...... NavWeapons (http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNBR_8-50_mk8.htm) says County class had from 125 to 150 shells per gun available and that makes more sense.

Anyway Ellis opened fire also from 29000 yards (extreme range) without apparently making any ammo calculation (and changing his mind regarding to the effectiveness of the 8" guns, after what had happened in the morning......)

Ciao, Alberto
Last edited by Alberto Virtuani on Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:34 pm, edited 9 times in total.
"It takes three years to build a ship; it takes three centuries to build a tradition" (Adm.A.B.Cunningham)

"There's always a danger running in the enemy at close range" (Adm.W.F.Wake-Walker)
Antonio Bonomi

Post by Antonio Bonomi »

Hello everybody,

@ Francis Marliere,

I let you and Alberto to discuss about the 203 mm ( 8 inches ) guns effectiveness when engaged against battleships, since this is NOT the argument in discussion on this thread.

Also the fact that they were at proper distance immediately before, or during the battle, ... and could or should have opened fire and when was the proper time and situation to do it, either according to the RN cruiser fighting instructions, or with a very "Nelsonian" aggressive initiative, or just waiting a favourable opportunity to do it.

The argument in discussion here is that Adm Tovey took the " freedom " to intentionally invent a version of those events ( in this case point 17 on his despatches ) in order to avoid any additional evaluation need about a defined situation that, if described the way it really happened, was surely going to require a more careful analysis by the Admiralty Board - Their Lordships, just as they did for the failure to re-engage by RearAdm Wake-Walker ( ref. point 13 of the Admiralty September 10th, 1941 response I posted above ).

This is the " Cover Up " done by Adm Tovey occurred by writing on his dispatches the point 17.

Exactly like happened for the point 19 I have demonstrated above, the way the events have been communicated thru Adm Tovey dispatches point 17 does not correspond to the real facts.
In this case and differently than point 19, Their Lordships did not even considered to mention the point on their responses.

RearAdm Wake-Walker awareness of the BC1 warships presence ( Hood and PoW ) is well demonstrated, and I think that Paul Cadogan perfectly realized the progressive timing of his awareness on a previous post where he wrote :
WW’s knowledge of BC1’s proximity also went through phases in that hour – from learning that they were in the general area at 04.45, to sighting smoke that might be them at 05.16, to the 05.37 sighting report from PoW, to confirming it and logging it at 05.50.
Wake-Walker awareness is confirmed by several Norfolk crew members and Officers full awareness long before the battle started at 05.52, even by a broadcasting occurred on board both Norfolk and Suffolk. More, on board Suffolk we have to consider that it took Capt Ellis just one minute ( 05.42 ) to realize everything and become aware when he received the Norfolk ( 05.41), Hood ( 05.43) and PoW ( 05.37 ) enemy radio reports.
I can hardly see somebody able to demonstrate me that RearAdm Wake-Walker was not aware about what was going on, more or less at the same time of the Norfolk Officers and Capt Ellis.

The " intention " about the " target assignment " being related only to the Prinz Eugen, decided by ViceAdm Holland and never communicated to RearAdm Wake-Walker, as written by Adm Tovey, is just an unfair ( versus Holland ) excuse to move away the enemy warship target selection responsibility from RearAdm Wake-Walker to ViceAdm Holland and than, due to Holland missed communication, justify the initial engagement failure to a defined target ( only the Prinz Eugen ) that was sailing ahead of the Bismarck.

The distance of both Norfolk and Suffolk being out of gun range ( around 15 sea miles ) being only a direct consequence of Holland missed communication ( ... therefore ... ) as written by Adm Tovey on his point 17, being a very unfair invented distance declaration directly correlated to the missed communication to close in and engage a defined target ( Prinz Eugen ), since the 2 heavy cruisers where not out of gun range and mostly they could have closed in to the enemy engaging it if they intended to do it, either the Bismarck or the Prinz Eugen.

As you can read and evaluate the way Adm Tovey dispatches point 17 has been written avoided to Their Lordships - Admiralty Board the need to further evaluate any other data. They did not even mention the point on their response.

dunmunro

Norfolk and aircraft

Post by dunmunro »

From the Admiralty War Diary:

also see for previous signals:
http://www.sfu.ca/~dmunro/images/PI1_2_3.jpg
dunmunro

Doctored reports.

Post by dunmunro »

Antonio are you saying that Norfolk and Suffolk intentionally altered their reports to hide their true range from Bismarck?

If Norfolk, Suffolk ( and PoW? ) altered their reports then why are there inconsistencies between Tovey's Despatch and the Action Reports?

Why didn't the conspirators get their stories straight?
dunmunro

Post by dunmunro »

Antonio Bonomi wrote:Hello everybody,

@ Wadinga,

sure it is the same gunnery Officer on board the HMS Norfolk.
He was ready to open fire if he was confident to be able to spot his own fall of shot.
He was ready to Flank Mark and communicate it to Hood and PoW if he was going to be able to establish a communication with them.
This is what he wrote on his report.
Question for you now, do you agree he was on board the HMS Norfolk and he was aware of Hood and PoW presence ?

You wrote :
I have both Vaughn as well as Pinhorm reports, ... and much more.
The book and statement you are referring to above and before on a previous post is incorrect both for the airplane as well as for the warship involved and contacted.

This is the problem with many books and authors, they do a superficial research work and do not refer to the Official documents.

We will do a better historical researched work ... at least we will try.

Not to confuse everybody here in with the airplane stuffs, ... lets manage this one on the dedicated airplane thread, ... I see what you want to realize and achieve, ... no problems for me to show the reality to you.

Suffolk attempted to spot the FoS with 3 salvos at ~1820. Was Suffolk able to spot the FoS?

I'm pretty sure that both Suffolk and Norfolk's gunnery teams would have rehearsed flank marking in anticipation of either Tovey or Holland's force, but the exact timing of that arrival was an unknown.
dunmunro

Post by dunmunro »

Francis Marliere wrote:
Alberto Virtuani wrote:A 8" shell destroyed the main Bismarck gunnery director on May 27, thus contributing heavily to Bismarck inability to hit her opponents during her final battle.
Different battle, different men, different choices. One can say that British shooting this day was not outstanding, may be because of overconcentration of fire.

Anyway, I don't say that a cruiser should never fire on a battleship which is already engaged by another battleship. I say that it is a difficult decision where you have to carefully weigh the pros and cons.

Ciao,

Francis
There is no way for anyone to know for certain if Norfolk actually hit Bismarck's director on May 27. Many of the claimed hits on May 27 against Bismarck never happened, and hits that did happen were probably often attributed to the wrong ships.

Again, we have this dance round and round about the actual ranges of Suffolk and Norfolk at 0552:30 24 May. The best available data indicates that both cruisers were well outside effective gunnery range and Suffolk was probably outside of maximum gun range.

Both cruisers acted according to the Fighting Instructions. Neither cruiser was in a position to engage PE with effective fire.

Suffolk's report states:
19. 0616 (B). Although the plot showed the enemy to be outside gun range, Prinz Eugen appeared at this time to be closing (now realised probably due to mirage), and at the same time Type 284 reported an echo at range 19,000 yards while trained on the Prinz Eugen.

0619 (B). Opened fire (six broadsides) using Type 284 range (initially 19,400 yards).

0623 (B). Type 284 ranges started decreasing rapidly.

0624 (B). Type 284 range 12,400 yards.
Ceased fire as there was clearly something wrong.

A large aircraft had just been sighted closing the ship from the enemy's direction, which turned across the line of fire at about six miles distant at 0624½, and it was then appreciated that this aircraft (not showing I.F.F.) was the object on which Type 284 had been ranging while trained on the enemy

Did PE report that any 8in shells came near her?
Antonio Bonomi

Post by Antonio Bonomi »

Hello everybody,

@ Dunmunro,

you asked :
Antonio are you saying that Norfolk and Suffolk intentionally altered their reports to hide their true range from Bismarck ?
NO Duncan, if you read above I am saying that Adm Tovey on his dispatches at point 17 " invented " a new version of the events and the reasons behind them that did not even take in account the Norfolk and Suffolk reports, did not take in account the Hood First board inputs, and neither the reality he should have realized by reading and understanding the many reports he had made available to him by July 1941.

By doing this he intentionally "Covered Up" the reality and avoided further scrutiny for those events by Their Lordships-Admiralty.

Accoding to you and given the distance Adm Tovey declared ( around 15 sea miles before the battle ) and " The Plot " after showed for Suffolk ( around 21 sea miles at 06.00 ), do you think they were able to Flank Mark and spot something on Suffolk from around 15 sea miles at 05.42 and around 21 sea miles at 06.00 ?

wadinga

Post by wadinga »

Hello Antonio,

This would be the sole subject of discussion
The argument in discussion here is that Adm Tovey took the " freedom " to intentionally invent a version of those events
except that only you (and possibly a couple of others) believe the cruisers were not at 15 miles. Nobody else disbelieves Tovey. You now like the Norfolk gunnery officer's flank marking but you don't like the ranges, nothing under 27,000 yds reported, or the timing (definitely out).

You say
Wake-Walker awareness is confirmed by several Norfolk crew members and Officers full awareness long before the battle started at 05.52, even by a broadcasting occurred on board both Norfolk and Suffolk.
when are these things mentioned? Norfolk's crew is probably already at action stations and how long does it take to flip a switch and tell the crew that the main event is about to start? You have still not mentioned why the news of the BCF's arrival , or even suspected arrival was not transmitted to Suffolk. You assert that everybody else aboard Norfolk knew for half an hour that the BCF was in the vicinity but W-W keeps it a secret from Ellis?

You allege
More, on board Suffolk we have to consider that it took Capt Ellis just one minute ( 05.42 ) to realize everything
Errmm based on what exactly? You have chosen to read
17. 0542 (B). Received Norfolk's 0541 reporting sighting enemy, followed by Prince of Wales' 0537 and Hood's 0543.
and only read 05:42 when Hood's 05:43 has not even been transmitted. There is no reason to imagine Ellis was better informed than W-W although he had been able to see Bismarck in the far distance. He only saw BC1 because of the gun flashes at 05:53.

Paul will have a think and realise it is clear that relevant section of W-W's report makes it clear he assumed BCF was with Icarus. Why would W-W think otherwise? Holland has sent off the destroyers to search using a light signal. Since W-W does not know the BCF is at sea how can he know if they are maintaining radio silence?

Until we have the Icarus signal we cannot know where she reported she was but W-W's report says he believed she was with BC1. We know the destroyers took 90+ minutes to reach Ted Briggs and the others.

Suffolk ceases fire at
0624 (B). Type 284 range 12,400 yards.
Ceased fire as there was clearly something wrong.
which confirms Duncan's input (thanks for witholding information Antonio) Norfolk talked to Vaughn via Aldis lamp, not Suffolk, this makes sense. Suffolk was firing at 19,000 to 12,400 yds- did the Germans even see this? Norfolk has already informed destroyers of Hood's sinking location. It is W-W who needs Vaughn to tell him whwere the enemy is- because they are so far away.

All the best
wadinga
dunmunro

Post by dunmunro »

Antonio Bonomi wrote:Hello everybody,

@ Dunmunro,

you asked :
Antonio are you saying that Norfolk and Suffolk intentionally altered their reports to hide their true range from Bismarck ?
NO Duncan, if you read above I am saying that Adm Tovey on his dispatches at point 17 " invented " a new version of the events and the reasons behind them that did not even take in account the Norfolk and Suffolk reports, did not take in account the Hood First board inputs, and neither the reality he should have realized by reading and understanding the many reports he had made available to him by July 1941.

By doing this he intentionally "Covered Up" the reality and avoided further scrutiny for those events by Their Lordships-Admiralty.

Accoding to you and given the distance Adm Tovey declared ( around 15 sea miles before the battle ) and " The Plot " after showed for Suffolk ( around 21 sea miles at 06.00 ), do you think they were able to Flank Mark and spot something on Suffolk from around 15 sea miles at 05.42 and around 21 sea miles at 06.00 ?

According to PE's war diary 8in (p41)shell splashes from Suffolk were spotted 4-5000m away from PE. At 0619 PE had turned about 3000 yds to the north-east, from her earlier course. This means that at 0619 Suffolk was at least ~25k yds (IE beyond type 284 range) from PE, but prior to that the minimum distance would have been ~30k yds and before 0604 the range would have been greater still.

http://www.hmshood.com/history/denmarks ... tlemap.gif