38 cm and 15 cm sound

Discussions about the history of the ship, technical details, etc.

Moderator: Bill Jurens

hanswittman

Re: 38 cm and 15 cm sound

Post by hanswittman »

pgollin wrote:.

The major reason for the different weights was that the USN used a "single base" propellant (powder) whereas most other nations (including the Germans) used a double base propellant, which meant less weight/volume was required for equivalent power. I would ASSUME that single and double base propellants would have SLIGHTLY different noise signatures due to the speed of propagation, certainly single base produced more smoke.

Hi pgollin,

That make sense and regarding the smoke i found some nice footage of USS Iowa shooting the 16 inch guns and i notice 3 different colors for the smoke so i guess this was probably similar on German ships.

Regards Hans
tommy303

Post by tommy303 »

German RP 38 propellant was double based, as Phil says, but whereas nitroglycerine and nitro-cellulose formed the double base, the Germans substituted DNG (diethylene glycol dinitrate) which lowered the burning temperature and reduced bore erosion. The trade off was this produced considerably more smoke than NC/NG propellants. The smoke is described as being generally dark brownish in colour after the muzzle flash had died off.

Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
They stood and Earth's foundations stay;
What God abandoned these defended;
And saved the sum of things for pay.
hanswittman

Post by hanswittman »

tommy303 wrote:German RP 38 propellant was double based, as Phil says, but whereas nitroglycerine and nitro-cellulose formed the double base, the Germans substituted DNG (diethylene glycol dinitrate) which lowered the burning temperature and reduced bore erosion. The trade off was this produced considerably more smoke than NC/NG propellants. The smoke is described as being generally dark brownish in colour after the muzzle flash had died off.
Hi Tommy,

Thank again you are a living encyclopedia regarding the Bismarck!

Regards Hans
hanswittman

15 cm is now done

Post by hanswittman »

Hi gentleman's,

[URL=http://s886.photobucket.com/user/H ... .gif[/img][/url]

I just finish the 15 cm turrets and i was having some question regarding some info that i found in my books collection :

They mention 8 degrees of elevation per second and i animated it with this value and that seem way to fast in my opinion after watching many videos on various battleships, you cannot see it in this gif i made since i skip many frames.

This 15 cm turret is the actual model that will go in game but some errors are visible on the cloth piece at the right barrel and they will be fix later on.

Also i wish you all a happy holidays and don't drink and drive please.

Regards Hans
tommy303

Post by tommy303 »

Nice!

Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
They stood and Earth's foundations stay;
What God abandoned these defended;
And saved the sum of things for pay.
hanswittman

Post by hanswittman »

tommy303 wrote:Nice!
Thank Tommy,

For sure the high resolution model look a lot better since all the rivets are really popping off but for a game model we can only rely on what we call normal map, a technology that simulate elevation bump on a surface.

We will make some test in the game engine to see how costly it would be to use parallax shader that simulate real 3d elevation for surface details.

Having one ship with it would not be a problem but imagine when you encounter a convoy or a task force this is where the system resources could quickly bottle neck.

Regards Hans
frontkampfer

Post by frontkampfer »

Outstanding! Can't wait for more! :clap:
"I will not have my ship shot out from under my ass!"
hanswittman

Post by hanswittman »

frontkampfer wrote:Outstanding! Can't wait for more! :clap:
Thank frontkampfer it is always comforting when someone appreciate our work since it is sometime very frustrating to get good result.

A lot more is to come and i think many from the naval sim community will be very happy to see that not all developers are going the arcade way.

For us in team here history is our main passion and second come the tech required to recreate history as close as possible to the real thing.

We are planning a multiplayer mode that will be call rules of engagement where any player will be allowed to choose from any ships in the roster and fight against another opponent, you will spawned in a random or predefined grid location and then you will have to locate the enemy ship and engage it.

If the server handling go well and performance is steady we might even include a coop system so up to 4 friends could join you in a small task force with various ships.

Regards Hans
Djoser

Post by Djoser »

Beautiful work on that secondary turret!
hanswittman

Post by hanswittman »

Djoser wrote:Beautiful work on that secondary turret!
Hi Djoser,

Thank for the good words and i wish you all a happy new years with plenty of supercharged health and prosperity and peace!

Regards Hans