Question about Bismarck details

Discussions about the history of the ship, technical details, etc.

Moderator: Bill Jurens

FightingSteel1

Question about Bismarck details

Post by FightingSteel1 »

Hi,

This is my first post here... I'm looking for a little information regarding some areas of the Bismarck. He is one of my favorite naval subjects, and I'm building a model of the ship.

A big part of what I'm looking for is paint colors of some small details. I'm not sure what colors the launch boats/cutters should be, as well as the rafts(?) stacked around the stern and placed on the superstructure. I've seen a lot of different color schemes for those details, like anything from tan to green for the rafts. Also, what color were the blast bags on the turrets?

My final detail question is in regard to the false bow wave. I'm painting this as the ship looked leaving Norway, but I've seen information showing the bow wave to be the same shape port and starboard, and seen information suggesting they were different.

I appreciate any information I can get about these details. Thank you.
alecsandros

Re: Question about Bismarck details

Post by alecsandros »

Hello,
Welcome to the board,

I don't know how many modelers are still around. there was a time when we had quite a few...

From the ones still active, you can try messaging Antonio Bonomi as I know he worked on paint schemes of German capital ships...

Best of luck,
frontkampfer

Post by frontkampfer »

Try "German Naval Camoflage: Vol. 1: 1939-1941" by John Asmussen & Eric Leon.
"I will not have my ship shot out from under my ass!"
Antonio Bonomi

Post by Antonio Bonomi »

Hello everybody,

Surely different.

Bye Antonio :D
In order to honor a soldier, we have to tell the truth about what happened over there. The whole, hard, cold truth. And until we do that, we dishonor her and every soldier who died, who gave their life for their country. ( Courage Under Fire )
Herr Nilsson

Post by Herr Nilsson »

Antonio Bonomi wrote:Hello everybody,

Surely different.

Agreed
Regards

Marc

"Thank God we blow up and sink more easily." (unknown officer from HMS Norfolk)
Antonio Bonomi

Post by Antonio Bonomi »

Hello everybody,

@ Fightingsteel1,

welcome to the forum, you also asked :
I'm not sure what colors the launch boats/cutters should be, as well as the rafts(?) stacked around the stern and placed on the superstructure. I've seen a lot of different color schemes for those details, like anything from tan to green for the rafts. Also, what color were the blast bags on the turrets ?

Boats : bottom hull was black, top was dark wood, inside floor light wood color.

Rafts : matt yellow

Blast bags : light beige, a light canvas color.

The above referenced book does not have the correct fliegersichtzeichen ( air recognition scheme ) information and colors too, ... so if you need those as well, ... just ask me referencing for which period, ... day, hour and situation you like to make your model.

@ Herr Nilsson,

thanks for the confirmation about the 2 bow waves being different on the two sides.

In order to honor a soldier, we have to tell the truth about what happened over there. The whole, hard, cold truth. And until we do that, we dishonor her and every soldier who died, who gave their life for their country. ( Courage Under Fire )