Bismarck fuel stores at Operation Rheinübung

Discussions about the history of the ship, technical details, etc.

Moderator: Bill Jurens

SK

Bismarck fuel stores at Operation Rheinübung

Post by SK »

Hi all,

How much fuel have Bismarck when he leave from Gotenhafen at 18 may 1941?

Thanks

SK
Ulrich Rudofsky
Contributor & Translator

Post by Ulrich Rudofsky »

Take a close look at the Bismarck's war diary at http://www.kbismarck.com/archives/index.html

It is not clear what the exact fuel stores were at the time she left Gotenhafen, but on 16.5. the ship had 5436 cubic meters and this dropped on 19.5. to 3112, to 2924 on 20.5. and by 21.5. there were only 2547.......
Ulrich
Tiornu
Supporter

Post by Tiornu »

How much of Bismarck's fuel load could be used? I'm guessing that some was in compartments that could not be pumped.
SK

Post by SK »

Ulrich Rudofsky wrote:Take a close look at the Bismarck's war diary at http://www.kbismarck.com/archives/index.html

It is not clear what the exact fuel stores were at the time she left Gotenhafen, but on 16.5. the ship had 5436 cubic meters and this dropped on 19.5. to 3112, to 2924 on 20.5. and by 21.5. there were only 2547.......
It ´s wrong. :negative:
In BS war diary isn´t presentation fuel stores on 19.5 - 21.5. There are presentation for Prinz Eugen fuel store:
19 may 1941, 0800 hours: Message from Cruiser Prinz Eugen to fleet: Fuel oil stores 3.112 cubic meter.
...etc for 20.5 - 21.5.1941.

And what was BS fuel oil stores? It is the answer. :think:
SK

Post by SK »

Tiornu wrote:How much of Bismarck's fuel load could be used? I'm guessing that some was in compartments that could not be pumped.
Hi Tiornu,

I'm guessing that Bismarck have about several hundred ton (about 200 ton ?) oil fuel lesser of his full capacity because that was accident in pumping procedure in Gotenhafen. But how was possible, that the accident wasn´t reported in war diary? :think:
Ulrich Rudofsky
Contributor & Translator

Sorry I goofed :oops: . The real KTB ends on 16.5. with Lehmann's entry of 5426 cbm. Nothing is known thereafter because the next KTB due on 1.6.41 was lost at sea. The reconstruction of that latter KTB by the Seekriegsleitung obviously has no data on fuel and water consumption; however, I think the SKL or Group West at one point near the end overestimated the fuel of BS.
Ulrich
RF

Post by RF »

It is noted by Ludovic Kennedy in his book that Bismarck sailed 200 tons short of full capacity after several Polish labourers involved in the fuelling were killed from inhaling the fuel vapours.
Ulrich Rudofsky
Contributor & Translator

200 tons does not seem like anything to worry about unless your tanks start to leak.
Ulrich
RF

Post by RF »

Ulrich Rudofsky wrote:200 tons does not seem like anything to worry about unless your tanks start to leak.
And they did!!! - thanks to POW and its dodgy guns!!!
Admiral-scheer

Post by Admiral-scheer »

Your right a hose rupuured so they canelled refueling the bismarck to clean the mess up.
Also during rheinbung that did not refuel even though they were anchored for 1 day,because original they were not supposed to refuel
Best regards
Ulrich Rudofsky
Contributor & Translator

Don't you think the estimated fuel consumption also has something to do with the quality of the fuel, burning efficiency, water and sludge contaminants etc. ? Distance and speed made good depends on many external and internal factors than just the volume in the tanks.
Ulrich
Admiral-scheer

Post by Admiral-scheer »

I am sure it did.I also think that Rheinbung being the Bismarck's maiden voyage into the Atlantic they would have increased or at least the same quality of the fuel they used in the Baltic.
Best regards
Laurenz

PE

Post by Laurenz »

fueled.
For Master Scheer:
You hear to much Rammstein :-)
Und wird nie vom Himmel fallen......
Nice american book is......holt Hartmann vom Himmel.....

And for RF:
The hits of PoW finished the british empire. Do you are thankful for that?
Kind regards,
L.
shuttlefan101

Post by shuttlefan101 »

on her way out she was 2,000ton of fuel shout from what i read!
NIKKI
Antonio Bonomi

Bismarck. .... Lutjens,... fuel,.. and more

Post by Antonio Bonomi »

Ciao all,

since there are historical researchers currently making a very good study about this whole argument, ... I preffer to respect them and wait their very competent final results.

One thing you must keep in mind when you talk about this argument,.... it was very sensitive especially for one person..... Admiral G. Lutjens.

For him this was a very delicate aspect of the whole mission, ... and what he did on the preparation for Op. Rheinunbung .. based on Op. Berlin learning path ... is a very evident confirmation.

The whole activity on the Baltic sea between Bismarck and Prinz Eugen in May 1941 ... was mainly dedicated to this aspect :wink: .

That's all for the moment, ....

Ciao Antonio :D