Battle of Denmark photo

Discussions about the history of the ship, technical details, etc.

Moderator: Bill Jurens

Lclark1947

Battle of Denmark photo

Post by Lclark1947 »

Regarding photos of the Battle of Denmark: I have three photos purportedly found on the Prinz Onegin (Prince Eugene) when it was being refitted for sailing to the Pacific for use in nuclear bomb tests by the United States. One is included in the sinking of the HMS Hood - the one tagged as one of the most well-known of the Bismarck photos where the ship is firing a salvo at the Hood. Another is the last German inspection of the Prinz Onegin, but it is from a different perspective than those in this archive. My photo shows the superstructure to the rear of the officers on deck with sailors lined up on the right side of the photo in the foreground, and sailors on the left side in the background behind one of the officers and deck equipment. The third photo is one in this collection of the Bismarck being towed by the Eugene. I know these photos are authentic. My question is where did you get your photos? Were my photos made from negatives recovered from the Prinz Eugene, or were they obtained on the open market? Any insight would be appreciated. I have kept these photos safe in the first edition, third printing, 1945, of "Eyes of the War" (I also have the second volume, second printing, published in 1945) that belonged to my father, a veteran of Operation Overlord. My father also thought these three photos were found on the Eugene. I'm trying to get at the facts and not just go by family folklore. Thanks. Larry Clark
Bill Jurens

Re: Battle of Denmark photo

Post by Bill Jurens »

I take it from your memo that you have three photos that need identification and authentication. Although there is probably enough expertise on this board to accomplish that task, written descriptions are really not enough, i.e. you would probably have to post copies of the photos first.

Bill Jurens (moderator).