28th May 1941 HMS Mashona

Discussions about the history of the ship, technical details, etc.

Moderator: Bill Jurens

José M. Rico
Administrator

28th May 1941 HMS Mashona

Post by José M. Rico »

This topic has been moved here from the old forum. Feel free to continue the discussion.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

01 Jan 2004 04:57:39 - Keith Martin

Can anyone tell me what type of plane bombed the Mashona as it returned to port from the Bismarck hunt?

What type of plane, from where? Flown by whom?

Any help would be great. Thanks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

02 Jan 2004 18:40:10 - thomas

The planes involved were twin-engined, Junkers Ju.88 bombers, although I cannot tell you more than that.

02 Jan 2004 23:39:52 - Peter K.

Hello @ all!

On 25.may 1941 Göring ordered ordered "Fliegerführer Atlantik" at Lorient and Luftflotte 3 to give the maximum possible support for battlership BISMARCK.

Fliegerführer Atlantik:
I./KG40 with Fw200
Kü.Fl.Grp.606 with Ju88
Kü.Fl.Grp.406 with He115 and Ar196
3.(F)/123 with Ju88 and Me110

Luftflotte 3:
I./KG28 with He111
KGrp.100 with He111
II./KG1 with He111
II./KG55 with He111
I./KG77 with Ju88
2 of these 5 groups were already located at the Bretagne, the others were transfered.

2 Fw200, 7 Ju88 recon, 42 Ju88 bomber, 29 He111 and 15 He115 were used to support the BISMARCK
09.45: 5 Ju88 found the BISMARCK and attacked unseccessfully a cruiser
about 10.00: some aircrafts of KGrp100 found ARK ROYAL and attacked unsuccessful
37 Ju88 started to attack Force H, but should finally go for NORFOLK and DORSETSHIRE - they couldn´t find the ships!

28.05:
63 aircrafts were used the whole day
KGrp.100 managed to sink MASHONA and heavyly damaging MAORI attacking from 1.600 to 2.500 m height.
NORFOLK received some splinter damage.

source:
Sönke NEITZEL
Der Einsatz der deutschen Luftflotte über dem Atlantik und der Nordsee 1939-1945
ISBN 3-7637-5938-7

Greetings from Austria
Peter K.

03 Jan 2004 00:07:49 - thomas

Very good. Interesting though that the British give credit for Mashona's loss to Ju88s, but then it would not be the first, nor I suspect the last, time that someone being attacked has misidentified the planes used by an attacker.

07 Jan 2004 04:17:23 - Alan Kemp

The fog of war....

A German reference (http://www.wlb-stuttgart.de/seekrieg/41-05.htm) also credits the "Mashona" to JU 88s "Am 28. 5. versenken Ju 88 der I./KG.77 westlich Irland den brit. Zerstörer Mashona". The site also credits KG 100 with heavily damaging the "Maori".

Tovey's dispatch (ADM 234-509) summarizing the Bismarck episode indicates that the "Piorun", suffered several air attacks and that "all were driven off by gunfire".

Also, according to Tovey, the "Maori" helped screen the "Rodney" after Rodney was dispatched to the Clyde. An odd assignment for a heavily damaged ship.

None of the other references that I have researched, including Vian's autobio and Brice's "The Tribals" mention air attack damage to the "Maori" or any destroyer other than "Mashona". Some references indicate that the "Tartar" was damaged, (she was with the Mashona), but Brice specifically mentions that "lucky Tartar was not touched" by the air attacks that claimed "Mashona". Brice mentions initial attacks on Mashona by He-111s. He mentions later attacks on Tartar after Mashona was abandoned but does not specify what type of aricraft.

Maybe, in German eyes, Ju 88s and He 111s attacked two Tribal class ships... but they both claimed the Mashona?

Piorun wasn't hit, didn't resemble a Tribal and no vessels were damaged or sunk near the Piorun.

Who knows...

19 Jan 2004 02:58:57 - Keith Martin

Thanks for the information.

I am researching the history of the Mashona and I would like to be able to confirm what type of plane sunk Mashona.

Can I ask what your sources where. There seems to be an awful lot of confusion re which type of plane it was.

I really appreciate your help and would be glad to give you credit for your research on the site.

http://www.hmsmashona.netfirms.com/

19 Jan 2004 03:01:40 - Keith Martin
Thanks for that.

Do you know where Kgrp where based?

Thanks for all your help