President Trump: mid-term

Anything else you want to talk about.
RF

President Trump: mid-term

Post by RF »

We are now approaching the mid-term elections in the US, how do the American members of this forum now feel about him? Have views changed since his election?
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
frontkampfer

Re: President Trump: mid-term

Post by frontkampfer »

Nope! Voted for him & will so again!
"I will not have my ship shot out from under my ass!"
Byron Angel

Post by Byron Angel »

Hi RF,
My 2016 presidential vote was against the homicidal psychopath, Hillary Clinton; in other words, I took a chance on Trump because I believe Hillary Clinton to literally pose a threat to the survival of the American Republic. My 2020 presidential vote will be enthusiastically cast for Trump, who has proven himself to be the first honest and effective national leader to occupy the White House in several decades.

Byron
OpanaPointer

Post by OpanaPointer »

Whoever wins in 2020 will have to be less embarrassing than T.rump.
Dave Saxton
Supporter

Post by Dave Saxton »

I don't care what he says or how he says it. It is was he does that matters, and most like everything he has done so far. I'm definitely voting for him and his acolytes. We don't pay any attention the media narratives.
Entering a night sea battle is an awesome business.The enveloping darkness, hiding the enemy's.. seems a living thing, malignant and oppressive.Swishing water at the bow and stern mark an inexorable advance toward an unknown destiny.
OpanaPointer

Post by OpanaPointer »

Dave Saxton wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:45 pm I don't care what he says or how he says it. It is was he does that matters, and most like everything he has done so far. I'm definitely voting for him and his acolytes. We don't pay any attention the media narratives.
Not even Faux News?
Where do you get your information from then?
dunmunro

Post by dunmunro »

The dependence of the US on massive deficit spending is frightening. When interest rates rise, as we know they will, then the proverbial s__t will hit the fan and it will be 2007 all over again. We've seen the same pattern of massive deficit spending by the previous 3 Republican admins, and there's not likely to be a happy ending this time either.The fact is that any regime can boost the economy temporarily by spending like crazy.

Millions of retired Americans are in for a rude shock when Trump pulls the plug on Medicare and Social Security to pay the bills.
Byron Angel

Post by Byron Angel »

dunmunro wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:17 pm The dependence of the US on massive deficit spending is frightening. When interest rates rise, as we know they will, then the proverbial s__t will hit the fan and it will be 2007 all over again. We've seen the same pattern of massive deficit spending by the previous 3 Republican admins, and there's not likely to be a happy ending this time either.The fact is that any regime can boost the economy temporarily by spending like crazy.

Millions of retired Americans are in for a rude shock when Trump pulls the plug on Medicare and Social Security to pay the bills.
- - -

Pqliticians talk. Pundits predict. I prefer tq view accqmplished deeds. At the end qf the day, this is nqt abqut Republicans versus Demqcrats. It is abqut patriqts versus kleptqcrats.

Strictly my qpiniqn, qf cqurse.

B
paul.mercer

Post by paul.mercer »

dunmunro wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:17 pm The dependence of the US on massive deficit spending is frightening. When interest rates rise, as we know they will, then the proverbial s__t will hit the fan and it will be 2007 all over again. We've seen the same pattern of massive deficit spending by the previous 3 Republican admins, and there's not likely to be a happy ending this time either.The fact is that any regime can boost the economy temporarily by spending like crazy.

Hi dunmunro,
The above quote is so true, I just hope that the voting public here in the UK realise that the UK run by Labour Government under what would be a Marxist administration run by Messrs Corbyn and McDonnell will suffer the same fate if they ever got into power.
Byron Angel

Post by Byron Angel »

"We've seen the same pattern of massive deficit spending by the previous 3 Republican admins ..."

Which Republican administration was it that doubled the national debt of the United States in eight years?

B
dunmunro

Post by dunmunro »

Byron Angel wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:31 pm "We've seen the same pattern of massive deficit spending by the previous 3 Republican admins ..."

Which Republican administration was it that doubled the national debt of the United States in eight years?

B
President Donald Trump: Total Actual plus Budgeted = $5.683 trillion, almost as much in one term as Obama accumulated in two. For this reason, many often ask, “Is Trump or Obama better for the economy?”
https://www.thebalance.com/deficit-by-p ... de-3306151
The trend towards massive deficits began with Reagan. Clinton held the line and succeeded in balancing the budget but Obama faced a dire economy in a Republican created crisis and was forced to spend massively to restore it (and with depleted revenues from previous tax cuts) but Trump's deficits are only overheating a well performing economy and the result is going to be disastrous.
Byron Angel

Post by Byron Angel »

1 - The budget deficit is completely different from the national debt.
2 - The budget was balanced during the Clinton administration years because, after the first mid-term election, the Republican party achieved control of both houses of congress and thereby controlled the budget process.

B
dunmunro

Post by dunmunro »

Byron Angel wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:31 pm 1 - The budget deficit is completely different from the national debt.
2 - The budget was balanced during the Clinton administration years because, after the first mid-term election, the Republican party achieved control of both houses of congress and thereby controlled the budget process.

B
1 - it is different, but not completely different, as both types of deficits create unsustainable economic conditions.

2 - Yes, and now the Republicans control all 3 branches of government and the deficits are completely out of control. The main Republican proposals to contain the deficit involves massive cuts to Social Security and Medicare.

Constantly reducing tax revenues, via tax cuts, and an aging population that needs more care = disaster. Pumping money into an overheated economy will create commodity bubbles and then disaster as interest rates rise.

We all know how this will turn out and it's going to be ugly... Deficits are, apparently, only a problem when they involve Democratic Admins.
Byron Angel

Post by Byron Angel »

Dunmunro,
My response to you was because you did not have your facts straight (for whatever that's worth at this stage of the game).

My last employment before retirement was with the international trade department of the Royal Bank of Scotland, handling the international commercial letter of credit activities of the bank's top US export client. Even the small sliver of things that I saw from my desk were unbelievable. The issue of budget versus debt versus global monetary stability is (IMHO) multiple orders of magnitude more complicated, devious and opaque than most people can possibly imagine. If you are interested to take a peek at what really goes on, take a deep dive into the background of the sub-prime mortgage scandal that triggered 2008, or the sudden surprise switch in tax laws governing commercial real estate that caused the 1987 collapse of the nation's savings and loan banks. Or take a look at how "swimmingly well" Deutsche Bank (one of the largest commercial and investment banks on the planet) is supposedly doing ... at least according to the official press releases.Nobody's balance sheets can be trusted today (including those of any government).

This is not a Republican versus Democrat, or Conservative versus Liberal, or neo-con versus progressive issue. It is a matter of cynical politics and an organized financial kleptocracy; we have the best government money can buy - in the very worst sense of the phrase - and the game has been so rigged for about a hundred years. Talking about budget deficits or the national debt at this point is (IMO) little more than an amusing diversion from the real thrust of events.

Trump is the first American president in my adult lifetime to make a move toward tackling this gigantic problem. I'm sorry if you find him unpalatable or uncomfortable to watch on TV. Given the choice of presidential candidates offered in 2016, I would make the same choice 50 times out of 50.

BRgds/ Byron
frontkampfer

Post by frontkampfer »

Bravo, Byron!
"I will not have my ship shot out from under my ass!"