Hurricane Dean

Anything else you want to talk about.
paulcadogan

Hurricane Dean

Post by paulcadogan »

Hello All,

Tonight, here in Jamaica we are bracing for a very probable direct hit from Hurricane Dean - the first hurricane of the 2007 Atlantic season. It is currently a Category 4 with winds of 145 mph with gusts to 185. It could strengthen to a Cat. 5 (>155 mph sustained) before it hits. This could be catastrophic for this island.

Our last direct hit was Cat. 3 Hurricane Gilbert (115 mph winds) in 1988 which caused much devastation and required months for recovery. In my area we were without power for 1 month. (No comparison to Katrina though!)

In 2004 we had a close brush with Cat. 4 Hurricane Ivan which miraculously did not make landfall, but at the last moment wobbled to the south crept slowly by lashing us with 2 days of hurricane conditions and storm surge , the heaviest winds remaining offshore.

As I write this the winds are gusting occasionally outside, even though the eye of the hurricane is about 20 hours away. I feel like I'm aboard a merchantman on a poorly protected convoy about to be intercepted by the Bismarck!

My friends, I may not be able to log on for a long time, if this thing comes ashore, so until then I wish you all the best.

Paul
Qui invidet minor est - He who envies is the lesser man
Bgile

Post by Bgile »

Good luck Paul, if you can read this!
paulcadogan

Post by paulcadogan »

Thanks Bgile! We still have power this morning, though they'll be cutting it in about an hour. It's raining steadily but the winds are still light. That should change in a couple hours as it closes in.

The storm thankfully looks like it will score a near miss as far as the eye is concerned, but we're still going to get a wallop.

I'm going offline now until it's over..

Paul
José M. Rico
Administrator

Post by José M. Rico »

Best of luck over there.

The news reached us here in Spain as well.

http://elmundo.es/elmundo/2007/08/19/ci ... 87152.html

Give us an update as soon as the storm calms down.
Karl Heidenreich

Post by Karl Heidenreich »

Hi Paul,

Here in Costa Rica we are receiveing the collateral effects of Dean. Hope that everything´s is fine with you people. The photos from the Caribean are discouraging.

Luck...
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.
Sir Winston Churchill
paulcadogan

Post by paulcadogan »

Hi Folks!

I'm back on-line thanks to having a relative with a generator! Dean was quite the experience, but we got off lucky. The eye passed 50 miles south of Kingston so Hurricane force winds only extended 10 miles or so inland. I think we experienced generally category 1 winds, probably around 80 mph with some gusts to over 100.

There were lots of downed trees and branches, some power lines, some roofs went (including part of the roof where I work). There were 3 confirmed deaths. Most of the heavier damage was on the south coast of course. The small fishing districts of Rocky Point and Portland Cottage on the extreme south central tip of the island were inundated with storm surge as they were three years ago with Hurricane Ivan. The north coast, where most of the tourist resorts are got off lightly for the most part, with rain and tropical storm force winds (39-73 mph).

I live in the hills above Kingston an was able to observe the growing effects of the storm as the wind strength gradually grew with the heavier gusts as the hours passed. Trees were ripped apart and the air was filled with leaves, branches, fruits, the occasional coconut ( I saw one fly into a car's windshield) and other debris. The storm force winds began picking up about 10 AM on Sunday (19th Aug) and by 2 - 3 PM the hurricane force gusts started and continued for about 6 or 7 hours until they gradually eased off overnight.

Initially the wind came from the east-north-east, but when the eye was directly south of us there was a very strange lull - heavy rain, but no wind. It was as if we were in the eye but we weren't. It lasted for about 45 minutes and then the wind returned from the east-south-east. I need a meteorologist to explain that one.

By daylight all was quiet except for some light showers. People were soon out on the streets with machetes, hatchets and chainsaws, clearing trees that had blocked the roads, while others wandered about looking at the damage.

Fortunately for me and my family, all is well. No structural damage at home, though trees were downed or ripped up. Water and phone services are OK, but no electricity yet. Hopefully in another day or two as the power company is working feverishly!

Thanks for all the good wishes!

Paul
Bgile

Post by Bgile »

Glad to hear you came through it ok!
Karl Heidenreich

Post by Karl Heidenreich »

Paul,

It´s nice to hear from you and that you´re ready for a hard-a-starboard...shoot!

Best regards
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.
Sir Winston Churchill
Gary

Post by Gary »

Glad to hear your ok Paul :clap:
God created the world in 6 days.........and on the 7th day he built the Scharnhorst
paulcadogan

Post by paulcadogan »

Thanks guys!

Got back electricity at home today, though many parts of the island are still without. Some areas may be out for some time because of the extent of the damage.

Tonight there are no tropical storms/hurricanes/typhoons/cyclones anywhere in the world. So weatherwise, the tropics are at peace. We'll enjoy it while it lasts. For us in the Atlantic theatre we've still got over three months of hurricane season to get through...

Paul