Need copyright advice for Bethlehem Steel Shipyard booklet

Anything else you want to talk about.
Ulrich Rudofsky
Contributor & Translator

Need copyright advice for Bethlehem Steel Shipyard booklet

Post by Ulrich Rudofsky »

I have a booklet "An Introduction to Shipbuilding". Bethlehem Shipbuilding Division, 1941. 70 pages. It is a very interesting introduction how things were done then in welding and riveting. In front is a 2 page typed memo to all new workers: ... no cameras, no weapons, no drinking, no gambling, no smoking.......no eating in or under the hull.......speak English only.......

Bethlehem Steel went under in 2003. How would you obtain permission to reprint this booklet? Or to distribute it to interested persons?
Ulrich
RF

Post by RF »

I am not familiar with US copyright law, but if the company ''went under'' then I would have thought that all copy rights, along with all other assets of the company, would fall under the aegis of the persons administering the legal affairs of that company.

If the company has been dissolved so that there is no ongoing administration, then it is a matter for whoever purchased/acquired any copyright pertaining to the company, or failing that, it is a matter of US law as to whether the copyright is still enforceable.

Although I have knowledge of the proceedures in the UK from a professional standpoint as I am an accountant, this information above is a presumption only and should not be relied upon in law of any jurisdiction.

Disclaimers aside, I hope this helps.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
marcelo_malara

Post by marcelo_malara »

I think that the copyright ends after 50 years.
RF

Post by RF »

There are international restrictions on copyright and the European Union has for example adopted the fifty year rule Marcelo quotes. But this is not universally accepted and it is not yet codified into UK law as the British Government is holding out for a seventy year period. It is possible that as a compromise the EU will adopt seventy years.

The USA will inevitably adopt its own time period, and it would probably be best for Ulrich to consult an attorney on the matter to be sure of the position.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
lwd

Post by lwd »

Looking up Bethlehem Steel at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bethlehem_ ... bankruptcy
They were a US company up until 2001. The original copywrite was almost assuredly a US one and even if they got the 20 year extension which they probably didn't it would have expired in 1981.

I'd consider it public domain. If you wanted to be doubly sure you could ask the public relations department at Mittal steel for permission and acknowledge the same. Note that even a 70 year copywrite expires in 4 more years. The disadvantage of asking is you might get a run around. The advantage is if you found the right person you might actually get more useful information. Most companies today love free positive publicity.