Should we complain?

Anything else you want to talk about.
lwd

Should we complain?

Post by lwd »

We've got a spammer again with links to potentially dangerous sites in his messages.
Should we complain to his isp(s)?
Compalaint info could be posted in this thread so we can complain even after his messages are gone.
That would also minimize the risk to board members.
lwd

Re: Should we complain?

Post by lwd »

Note the latest spammer also was spamming English gibberish to the spanish forum on this board. Can't figure out if its really dumb or really devious.
RF

Post by RF »

I presume Jose as Administrator will cut the spammer off by removing his/her access to these forums.

A complaint to the ISP should have the spammer removed but of course what will happen is that the spammer will assume a new identity and start their spamming again.
There are other ways of dealing with spamming but unfortunately it would involve a loss of poersonal liberty to all of us and make it more difficult and inconvenient to use the internet at all.

The only real deterrence is to locate the identity of the spammer and pursue them for damages, with imprisonment the penalty for non-payment. The problem is finding the spammer, but it can be done, and will be done if you hack into the computers at the Pentagon...
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
RF

Post by RF »

lwd wrote:
Can't figure out if its really dumb or really devious.
Or a form of phishing or planting a time bomb etc. Best thing is to delete all spam, especially any attachments, above all else DON'T OPEN any attachments.
lwd

Post by lwd »

In the case of spammers promoting web sites some times you can get the web site taken down and that makes his efforts in that regard useless. If that's what is intended then a flurry of complaints as soon as possible works best. Also there have been a couple of significant decreases in spam recently when major ISPs cut off spam friendly ones. Being able to document that an ISP is spam friendly may be of some use in that regard.
RF

Post by RF »

I see we have yet another spammer this morning. This one is really tiresome and pointless - have they not got anything better to do?