World Cup 2010

Anything else you want to talk about.
frontkampfer

Re: World Cup 2010

Post by frontkampfer »

RF wrote:
Bgile wrote:The USA will probably never have a competitive World Cup team because it competes for attention with USA Football.
It will compete for attention against all other sports in the US, will get media exposure and as soon as there is money to be made from it soccer will grow into big business in the US. Then you will have a competitive US World Cup team.

All part of the process of ''globalisation.''
The one thing that holds soccer back from becoming big in the US is network television and that means advertisers. When advertisers will pay $ to advertise the broadcasts then you'll see it become a national type of sport. But that raises the ugly fact that in order to have sponsors the networks have show commercials and to do that there has to be stoppages in play or "TV timeouts". From what I have seen the international soccer federation refuses to alter the game for US commercial interests. Hockey has had to implement commercial timeouts in order to be broadcast in the US and that includes radio. So until the issue of timeouts is dealt with you'll not see soccer as a major league sport in the US in my humble opinion. This not meant to say the US is better or worse or deserves some kind of exemption but rather a simple case of economics.
"I will not have my ship shot out from under my ass!"
Karl Heidenreich

Post by Karl Heidenreich »

A great day for Germany's sports:

1. Le Mans, a straight win of the three positions of the podium.

2. F-1: the McLaren with German Mercedes engines won 1-2 podium

3. Germany starts the World Cup giving a hard kick at the Australian team 4 - 0!

A Blitz Day!
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.
Sir Winston Churchill
RF

Post by RF »

I wouldn't have thought that the TV ''timeouts'' would be much of a problem in the US - their brand of football can adapt.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
Bgile

Post by Bgile »

RF wrote:I wouldn't have thought that the TV ''timeouts'' would be much of a problem in the US - their brand of football can adapt.
True, but if there are too many of them they help the defense more than the offense. Fans will get upset as well. If you are actually there, they are just an unnecessary extended break in play.
RF

Post by RF »

I agree, the traditional fans will get upset - as per the England v USA match the other day when the England goal was displaced by an advert, only to return to the celebrations.... Those fans might have preferred Robert Green's faux paus to have been ''adverted over'' instead....
frontkampfer

Post by frontkampfer »

Gents,

I really don't think its a question of the fans getting used to TV timeouts but one of the federation permitting them for the US based network TV games. Unfortunately, all professional sports are businesses and $ as a % of revenue received for broadcasting rights has a big role in the US. All you have to do is see how much $ the NFL (National Football League) or MLB (Major League Baseball) get from networks and how the teams count on that $ to help cover costs. So if NBC or ESPN what 3-5 minutes of commercial time for every 10 - 15 minutes of actual playing time then there really isn't any objection from them. They may go through the motions of "preserving the integrity of the game" but when all is said and done the phrase "money talks, bullshit walks" seems to have a lot of validity. I think this is a sort of cultural thing that makes sports different in the US. Again, it's not meant to be a better or worse thing but more just the way things are IMHO.
"I will not have my ship shot out from under my ass!"
RF

Post by RF »

frontkampfer wrote: They may go through the motions of "preserving the integrity of the game" but when all is said and done the phrase "money talks, bullshit walks" seems to have a lot of validity. I think this is a sort of cultural thing that makes sports different in the US.
I think that phrase is also valid for Britain and indeed the rest of the world. Look how even African football has become big business, and not just in the African countries.
Karl Heidenreich

France got fairly beaten by Mexico... Good Lord! Never been a mexican fan until today, I love you, Mexico LIndo y Francia... a la chingada!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sir Winston Churchill
RF

Post by RF »

Was there any suggestion that they were unfairly beaten? Perish the thought!
Karl Heidenreich

What a shameful show that of Germany against Serbia. Of course the referee help Serbia a lot but that doesn't dismiss that disgrace ofthe match. They look like... well, like frenchmen!
Sir Winston Churchill
Gary

Post by Gary »

It proves that Germany are not unbeatable.
France didnt seem to give a damn in their match last night.
Argentina have looked a very good team so far and I'm really warming to little Uruguay! - if England cant win then I want Uruguay to lift the cup
Heres hoping we (England) beat Algeria in about an hours time!.
God created the world in 6 days.........and on the 7th day he built the Scharnhorst
Karl Heidenreich

If Germany would perform poorly then it will be nice that a non favorite lifts the cup. I will prefer Uruguay over Argentina, but Argentina (or South Africa) over Brazil. Italy will be boring. If for anything, Mexico will be great!
Sir Winston Churchill
Gary

Post by Gary »

England were a shambles last night, the only player to do himself proud was Jamesy (the bloody goalkeeper!!!!!)
Rooney and Lampard were headless chickens, Heskey was lost in space, Gerrard cant seem to get going........

Drop Rooney and Lampard for the Slovenia game.
Put Defoe upfront with Gerrard just behind him.
Lennon on the right, Carrick and Barry in the middle and put Joe Cole on the left - ARE YOU LISTENING MR CAPELLO?
Ashley cole as leftback, Johnson as rightback with Terry and Upson in central defence (Carragher is suspended)
James in goal.

I duuno if we can turn this shambles around, we got through with 2 draws and a win at Italia 90 but this time I just dont know!
The only consolation if we go out is that its the last time we'll see some of these moron players in England shirts at a world cup!

If England go out then I'll cheer for little Uruguay

They play good football, I like their flag and they have no love for Argentina (like us :lol: )
God created the world in 6 days.........and on the 7th day he built the Scharnhorst
José M. Rico
Administrator

Post by José M. Rico »

Main page from "The Sun".

I expected England to do much better, but then I also expected Spain to do well and we lost!! :( Who understands football?

I hope Uruguay does well. Who does not like Diego Forlan?
Gary

Post by Gary »

Hi Jose.

Yes, Diego Forlan is a wonderful player, he is at the top of his game and he is a pleasure to watch.
Uruguay as a team are exciting to watch and we must not forget that they are 2 time world cup winners.
If England do get knocked out then II'm cheering Uruguay all the way!