Japan Earthquake

Anything else you want to talk about.
RF

Japan Earthquake

Post by RF »

Only a few weeks after the NZ quake, we now have a major quake in Japan, with the horrific results displayed by our news media.

Even in the midst of this disaster, we should I think retain a sense of proportion. Japan is the world's third largest economy, it will very quickly rebuild given the time, just as the NZ government is now queitly getting on with the job of reconstruction out of the glare of media publicity. Japan in the past has suffered far worse and recovered - the Tokyo earthquake of 1923 and the American bombing in 1945 were both cataclysmic in loss of life and damage to housing and infrastructure.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
José M. Rico
Administrator

Re: Japan Earthquake

Post by José M. Rico »

These two messages posted on CNN's website draw my attention today:

millerst419

Dose rates at Fukushima Daiichi as reported at 10:22 p.m. EDT on March 14 were:

Near Unit 3 reactor building 40 rem/hr
Near Unit 4 reactor building 10 rem/hr
At site boundary 821 millirem/hr.
Kitaibaraki (200 km south of site) 0.4 millirem/hr.

Hangedman

To put those numbers in perspective, I was a nuclear power plant operator on the USS Enterprise. I received a dose of 2.76 rem (that's 2 point 76 rem) in four YEARS. The workers at the plant are receiving from four to 15 times that amount every HOUR. May whatever gods they worship have mercy on them.
RF

Post by RF »

I presume these workers are wearing appropriate protection and decontamination measures taken?
celticmarine10

Post by celticmarine10 »

Geez,
I can't even begin to comprehend what they must be going through. First, an earthquake quickly followed by a tidal wave, now an explosive nuclear reactor. AND they fear another earthquake is in the making.
I'm so sorry for Japan. :(
"Permission to Fire!" - Kapitan Lindemann
RF

Post by RF »

Well, they have had major disasters before, and recovered, especially from the defeat in 1945. Full international assistance will be on hand to deal with these nuclear power plants, and I am optimistic that the situation will be contained and controlled without too much nuclear contamination and fallout.

I would add that I am a little puzzled at the positioning of these power plants on the east coast, the coast that faces the tectonic fault line and the Japan Trench. Surely it would have been better to locate them towards the west coast, which is shielded from tsunami and further away from the earthquake epicentres - or were the Japs too overconfident about the ''earthquake proof'' qualities of these power plants?
celticmarine10

Post by celticmarine10 »

Very true. They said that this is the worst disaster since and hardship since the end of the 2nd World War. Bad planning on some Japanese designer to put the plants on the coast, but perhaps they thought something like this would never occur. Good thing that their Nuclear problem is nothing on the scale of Chernobyl.
I do hope that this is the end of their suffering. :(
"Permission to Fire!" - Kapitan Lindemann
Gary

Post by Gary »

Its awful what has happened to Japan.
Heres hoping they can recover
God created the world in 6 days.........and on the 7th day he built the Scharnhorst
RF

Post by RF »

Japan has the worlds' third largest economy. Give it ten years, this disaster will be but a distant memory in Japan, and forgotten by the rest of the world.