Tour on the Intrepid and Smithonian Air and Space

Anything else you want to talk about.
Karl Heidenreich

Tour on the Intrepid and Smithonian Air and Space

Post by Karl Heidenreich »

This summer got the chance to return to the East Coast and visit NY, Philadelphia and Washington. Good to be aboard the USS Growler (they now let you take photos which some years ago wasnt' allowed) and the USS Intrepid.

A great impression for the excelent 9/11 Memorial at the WTC and the impressive Freedom Tower which is almost ready. In 1999, 2000 and 2001 I had the oportunity of visiting the observatory at the South Tower and in November 2001 visit the Ground Zero ruins. So to see such a incredible work epitomizes freedom and the light that is the US has been and is.

In Washington, which I didn't knew before, not only the monumental memorials but also had the oportunity of visiting the Andrews Air Force Base with a friend of mine which is a US Air Force officer (who by the way served in Irak and Afganistan). The WWII Memorial was very emotive with the words of heroes like McArthur engraved in the stone.

The Smithonian Air and Space musseum, both locations, was simply great.

I got extensive photo coverage in my facebook so those that want to see it just visit as Alexandros has done.

Bad thing that I didn't have the oportunity to visit again the New Jersey but soon I will do it.

Very best regards,

Karl

PR: Also visit the house in Prospect Street where the Exorcist was filmed and the famous stairs to M street. Spooky place.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.
Sir Winston Churchill
lwd

Re: Tour on the Intrepid and Smithonian Air and Space

Post by lwd »

If you get to go to the DC area again I think they have the armor plate that was used for testing from the Shinano on display in the naval yard. Especially if you have someone from the US military with you I'd think there's a good chance you could get in to see it. Dahlgren about 45 minutes away from DC has some very interesting stuff as well but I'm not sure how hard it is to get on base now. I would think you would be particularly interested in the gun line but it's behind the security fence. They did used to have a section of armor plate with one hole from a battleship caliber gun in it and another with the shell still stuck in the hole (the base was inside the armor from what I recall).