Mary Celeste and Ghost Ships?

Anything else you want to talk about.
Karl Heidenreich

Mary Celeste and Ghost Ships?

Post by Karl Heidenreich »

Hi,
I love sea ghost stories and all that such. That´s why Mary Celeste´s story is one of my favorites. But, the other day I was reading and found that when the ship was found one of her boats was missing. :( That makes the story to lost a lot! Maybe the crew use the boat and just flee. Just flee in the middle of the ocean? Well, the missing boat makes that many methaphisical "explanations" go directly to the Recycle Bin. Anybody knows something about the Mary Celeste?
Or the Marine Sulphur Queen? Or Sargasso Sea? The Flying Dutchman? About this last one my dad, who was a sailor in the 50s ,told me that when a ship sights the FD means that someone on board is about to die. :?
He also told me about a bird called Albatross: when one lands on a ship´s deck is very bad luck.
Best regards!
RF

Post by RF »

The thing about the Mary Celeste is that the Die Gratia is hardly ever mentioned.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
Karl Heidenreich

Post by Karl Heidenreich »

RF:
The thing about the Mary Celeste is that the Die Gratia is hardly ever mentioned.
Hey, what about Die Gratia? It was the ship that found the Celeste, and her skipper was a close friend of Cpt. Briggs. Do you believe it was foul play or something?
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.
Sir Winston Churchill
RF

Post by RF »

Karl Heidenreich wrote:RF:
Hey, what about Die Gratia? It was the ship that found the Celeste, and her skipper was a close friend of Cpt. Briggs. Do you believe it was foul play or something?
The Die Gratia crew collected the prize money for recovering the Mary Celeste and her cargo. Who knows what happened to the Celeste crew, they vanished without apparently leaving any trace.
Ulrich Rudofsky
Contributor & Translator

Post by Ulrich Rudofsky »

Thanks for reminding me of the great story of the Mary Celeste and the Dei Gratia. From what I have read, many sailors generally took their prize money and never left terra firma again; some became farmers and some spent it on women or drink.........
There was no evidence of blood or foul play found http://www.maryceleste.net/doctor.htm but didn't the Dei Gratia crew have their prize money reduced due to suspicion of foul play?
Ulrich
RF

Re: Mary Celeste and Ghost Ships?

Post by RF »

A few days ago I saw yet another story about the Mary Celeste, or in this instance the ''Marie Celeste''. Here apparently the ship was abandoned by its crew because of a fear of the cargo exploding..... and it conveniently didn't, and the disappearance of the crew without trace is still not explained.
lwd

Post by lwd »

I've seen that one. I thought the explanation at that point was "small boat large ocean". Not every one is a Captain Bligh.
RF

Post by RF »

I believe that the ship was found off the coast of Portugal. If the crew had abandoned ship - one of the boats on board was missing - then presumably with compass etc. they could make landfall.
Captain Blyth was in a different position - he had to negotiate some 2,000 miles of hostile Pacific Ocean to make landfall.
RF

Post by RF »

UK members of the forum may be interested to know that there is another TV programme on the Mary Celeste on Channel 5 tonight.