Paris - Friday, 13 November 2015

Anything else you want to talk about.
Byron Angel

Paris - Friday, 13 November 2015

Post by Byron Angel »

Let's have a big round of applause for the "Arab Spring". What a great idea to destabilize and collapse so many of the governments in the Middle East all at one time and introduce total regional chaos.

I can hardly wait to see what will come next.

B
ede144

Re: Paris - Friday, 13 November 2015

Post by ede144 »

You can keep pressure inside a boiler for so long. The failure was to support the opposition in Syria only verbal instead with hardware and logistics
RF

Post by RF »

That area of the world will always be volatile.

But the root cause of the instability is not the ''Arab spring'' at all - you need to look at WW1 and the resulting dissolution of the Ottoman Empire, the effects of the Balfour Declaration and the campaigns of Lawrence of Arabia to see the end results we have today.

With respect to the acts of terrorism seen in Paris I would place culpability on the European Union and the French government on the insistence of open borders which allow terrorists to simply walk in and do their dirty work. There is no substitute for security based on proper border controls. But Hollande and Merkel want free movement of labour in the EU and that includes unlimited immigration from eastern Europe and Asia Minor. Large business combines in the EU benefit because the free movement of labour depresses wage levels and sustains profitability, yet at the same time trade unions and the political left openly support such migration as it is the ''politically correct'' thing to do, to boost their ''anti-racism'' credentials.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
RF

Post by RF »

ede144 wrote:You can keep pressure inside a boiler for so long. The failure was to support the opposition in Syria only verbal instead with hardware and logistics
This is a multi-sided civil war, with numerous outsiders getting involved with their own agendas.

Which opposition do you mean? Who are the ''good guys'' - are there any?

We are now in the situation where the original bad guys are now the goodies ((Assad) and the good guys are now the baddies, with some of the baddies worse than the other baddies, with some baddies changing sides, some baddies fighting everyone else and so on and so on.

In comparison it makes the Spanish Civil War and its various Republican factions look like a relatively simple matter to explain.
Steve Crandell

Post by Steve Crandell »

I think we can all agree that ISIS is a horrible monster, but there really does need to be a Sunni State in the region, as well as an independent Kurdistan. I don't think anything else will work over the long term.

Maybe they are all doomed to fight for the forseeable future.
RF

Post by RF »

Steve Crandell wrote:I think we can all agree that ISIS is a horrible monster,
But its nothing new. We have seen the likes before, and they don't last.

Even in the nineteenth century there was the Mahdi uprising in the Sudan, leading to the death of General Gordon in Khartoum. The Mahdi later died, and his successor the Khalifa was crushed at the Battle of Omdurman.