New USS Texas

Anything else you want to talk about.
Karl Heidenreich

New USS Texas

Post by Karl Heidenreich »

Just found this at the US Military website:
New Navy Nuclear Sub Debuts
Associated Press | August 26, 2006
ABOARD THE U.S. NAVY SUBMARINE TEXAS - The big red panic button here is on a computer touch screen, the steering instruments a couple joysticks instead of two cumbersome hydraulic yokes.

Its periscope projects sea-level surroundings onto a 30-inch (76-centimeter) monitor instead of a lookout sailor's eye, and the expanded payload is made to carry and deploy special forces teams anywhere in the world.

The U.S. Navy debuted its newest nuclear-powered submarine Friday in an Atlantic Ocean swing off the Florida coast, the second in the latest fast-attack class that marks a broad departure from the Cold War-era deterrence boats.

The Texas, which will officially earn a "USS" designator in a commissioning ceremony in two weeks, weighs 7,800 tons, measures 377 feet (115 meters) long and can remain submerged on covert surveillance up to three months. It travels faster than 25 knots underwater and dives farther than 800 feet (244 meters).

"It's much more effective than any ship I've been on before," said Capt. John Litherland, who has been on more than 50. "It's not the fastest, but the difference is that it's quiet even at its top speed."

Perhaps the biggest improvement is the ability to travel with a small special forces submarine, nine commandos and their gear. Previous subs would have carried only three Navy SEALS.

That kind of space is premium on a vessel designed to hide and spend most of its life underwater. Its maximum time submerged is limited only by the amount of food it can carry, because the boat generates its own power and oxygen.

Sailors sleep 12 to a room, on 6 1/2-foot (1.8-meter) beds with about 3 feet (a meter) of top-to-bottom sleeping space, the 4-inch (10-centimeter) deep compartment under it the only place to stow belongings.

That is why they spent four weeks in basic training learning how to fold, crew members joke. And they have learned to carry less stuff, after training to spend up to six months at a time in the middle of the ocean.

More than 130 Sailors will staff the sub when it begins serving missions, which after further trials might not be until 2008.

The boat carries sea-to-shore Tomahawk missiles, advanced capability Mark 48 torpedoes and mobile land mines. But one of its most critical missions is covert intelligence and surveillance.

The second of the so-called Virginia boats, following the USS Virginia, the Texas also features advanced navigation and computer systems that only require two Sailors piloting. The periscope is fiberoptic, useful for two reasons: there is no longer a vulnerable hatch on top to telescope into and out of, and its images can be projected to everyone in the control room.

The Texas was built at a shipyard in Newport News, Virginia, where all or parts of the first 10 subs of the Virginia class are being built. It cost US$2.7 billion and arrived about a year late for trials, though Navy officials expect future expenses and construction to be lower and smoother. The entire class could eventually number 30 submarines.

Though the sub is nuclear powered, it may or may not carry nuclear weapons - information the Navy keeps classified.

First lady Laura Bush christened the sub in the name of her home state in July 2004, smashing a ceremonial bottle of sparkling wine against the hull. The boat will be commissioned in Galveston, Texas, on Sept. 9, and its home port will be Groton, Connecticut.

It is the fourth vessel to be named after the state of Texas.

Sound Off...What do you think?
Somewhere I read that the Soviet Subs were better, but with a great problem called maintenance.

Best regards!
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.
Sir Winston Churchill
_Derfflinger_
Supporter

Post by _Derfflinger_ »

I'm not sure I have ever heard of a single thing about the Soviet's subs that was the equal, let alone better, than their USN counterparts. Which Soviet sub class are you talking about? Red October?

:angel:

Derf
Karl Heidenreich

Hi,

I didn´t read it but heard it in a documentary History Channel did late in 2005 about the K-19. They interviewed some russian designers who explained how their designs were much better than USN but that the regime, with their hurry to assemble a fleet, cover ups for their incompetence, and deficient maintenance, bring disaster after disaster for the sub arm.

If they really were better or not, we will need a sub expert to tell, but I don´t believe that the russian designs were all that faulty. Those guys really made miracles if we consider the BS regime they were serving.
:cool:
Sir Winston Churchill
_Derfflinger_
Supporter

Post by _Derfflinger_ »

karl,

I understand what you are saying. Their sub designs might be like the Russian aircraft designs are. Their designs are brilliant, but the execution is sub-par.

Derf
Gary

Post by Gary »

The Soviets had the largest submarines, the Typhoon class but largest doesnt necessasarily mean best.
God created the world in 6 days.........and on the 7th day he built the Scharnhorst
Karl Heidenreich

I think Derfflinger has a point here, the russians had very good designs but were unable to build a craft in accordance to that design. Once Stalin shot his Propaganda Minister (or such) because he found that the film projectors, even beautifully designed, were inferior to German ones. On another ocassion a full Air General said in a Cabinet Meeting (being quite drunk apparently) that their bombers will continue to fall as long they put crews on "those flying coffins". The Air General dissapeared without a trace days after that remark was done.
Soviet Russia: quite a good place to have ideas. :?
Sir Winston Churchill
Gary

Post by Gary »

Hi Karl.

I believe Old Stalin had a saying - "If you remove the man, you remove the problem".
God created the world in 6 days.........and on the 7th day he built the Scharnhorst