Political correctness gone mad?

Anything else you want to talk about.
Post Reply
northcape
Member
Posts: 229
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:31 am

Re: Political correctness gone mad?

Post by northcape » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:34 am

Dave Saxton wrote:
northcape wrote:
A Youtube-Video of a screaming guy calling himself an "independent scientist" is now considered as a proof for a broken peer-review process. Do I need to say more?
You have no idea who Willie Soon is, do you?
I'm afraid I do. I already referred to him as a screaming guy callimg himself an "independent scientist", and that is down to the point.

Willie Soon is a mediocre physicist who did not get a permanent academic position nor any other job in the private sector. So he took the opportunity to jump on the payroll of organizations and companies which are fighting for pushing the climate-change denial and are looking for a spokespesron they can present as a "scientist" to the general public (note, this has nothing to do with science but simply with dollars). That"s really all which is to say about Willie Soon.

I've a science background, and I myself worked in the oil industry. Checking facts, judging scientific reasoning, separating unfounded opinions and superficial pseudo-"knowledge" from the essential and firm foundations was and is my daily bread, because in the real and serious world (outside the iinternet and youtube) this is the only thing that counts in the long run.

What I really don't get, is why the right-wingers are so obsessed with climate change. I understand that they are concerned about race, gender-issues, stromg nations, etc. But why do they tap into something they have absolutely no clue or serious interest about (like science; science is per definition opposed to conservatism since it is looking forward, also, real science is a team effort, it about a topic and not about self-centered to narcisstic individuals). Guys, reading on Breitbart on people like Willie Soon or watching youtube-videos is not science. I mean, I also don't discuss the latest gun models or big trucks - it simply is not my world. Also, you should ask yourself,in case you get sick,if you want to be treated by a real doctor (beware, mainstream!) or by somebody who failed medical school and makes a living critizising hospitals since then.

I'm out here. If my words are considered to harsh and maybe even cynical, then I apologize, it is really not my intention to personally attack somebody. I'm possible just frustrated with myself that I again spent too much time on a lost cause. I wish you a good day.

User avatar
RF
Senior Member
Posts: 7525
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:15 pm
Location: Wolverhampton, ENGLAND

Re: Political correctness gone mad?

Post by RF » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:22 am

paul.mercer wrote:Quote. Can you give us more insights on the "children experiments in being transgender"? I would appreciate some facst, if you have some. Thanks
Absolutely no idea! It was a program on the BBC about a trial with getting kids to pretend to be transgender - or something!
I'm afraid that being brought up in a different era the whole politically correct and perfect world idea is a mystery to my old eyes and ears! All I know is much of what I said or did many years ago is no longer acceptable today - and in some cases quite rightly so, but as I said in my first post it seems that the politically correct brigade go out of their way to find something to offend them so they can write to the papers or go on TV to complain about it and no doubt try to make a name for themselves. Oh well,such is life I suppose!
The essence of this is that there is usually a hidden agenda behind it rather than ''make a name for themselves.''

You mention the BBC, an organisation funded by a tax (the television licence) and by other taxes (including monies funded through the EU) so it can play with these projects using other peoples money without being properly accountable for it.
Nice jobs if you can get them. That's why the lobbbyists like the BBC.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.

User avatar
RF
Senior Member
Posts: 7525
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:15 pm
Location: Wolverhampton, ENGLAND

Re: Political correctness gone mad?

Post by RF » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:27 am

northcape wrote:
I've a science background, and I myself worked in the oil industry. Checking facts, judging scientific reasoning, separating unfounded opinions and superficial pseudo-"knowledge" from the essential and firm foundations was and is my daily bread, because in the real and serious world (outside the iinternet and youtube) this is the only thing that counts in the long run.
Then why not try this approach to this issue as I have.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.

User avatar
RF
Senior Member
Posts: 7525
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:15 pm
Location: Wolverhampton, ENGLAND

Re: Political correctness gone mad?

Post by RF » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:47 am

northcape wrote:

What I really don't get, is why the right-wingers are so obsessed with climate change. I understand that they are concerned about race, gender-issues, stromg nations, etc. But why do they tap into something they have absolutely no clue or serious interest about (like science; science is per definition opposed to conservatism since it is looking forward,
More clichés and ignorant abuse, yet you claim to have a scientific background?

I am not a ''right winger'' it is a meaningless cliché.

I am not obsessed with ''climate change'' I have views on it but it is not an obsession.

You make the ignorant presumption that I have no interest in science and arrogantly insert by that meaning that people who disagree with you must have no knowledge of science. This indicates an intolerance of opinions you do not agree with and such attitudes are often labelled as bigotry.

By your own admission you don't understand why the AGW lobbyists should be challenged. Now if you followed the principles you outlined in being a scientist you would understand, but your mind is closed to this argument.
AGW lobbyists should be challenged because the policies they advocate to deal with an overstated threat has implications for energy policy, taxation, accountability of the scientific profession and education issues.
In particular taxation policy is relevant in that we pay the taxes and the government spends that money on inappropriate and wasteful energy policies. It directly affects consumers with their energy bills because of the ''climate change'' levies that increase energy costs, Most fundamentally it causes a misallocation of resources with monies being spent on ''carbon capture'' projects which will yield no real benefit to anybody beyond those employed in those projects.
In other words the AGW lobbyists do it to benefit themselves and their sectional interests, without which many of them would be without jobs.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.

paul.mercer
Senior Member
Posts: 644
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:25 pm

Re: Political correctness gone mad?

Post by paul.mercer » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:02 am

OpanaPointer wrote:
paul.mercer wrote:Quote. Can you give us more insights on the "children experiments in being transgender"? I would appreciate some facst, if you have some. Thanks
Absolutely no idea! It was a program on the BBC about a trial with getting kids to pretend to be transgender - or something!
I'm afraid that being brought up in a different era the whole politically correct and perfect world idea is a mystery to my old eyes and ears! All I know is much of what I said or did many years ago is no longer acceptable today - and in some cases quite rightly so, but as I said in my first post it seems that the politically correct brigade go out of their way to find something to offend them so they can write to the papers or go on TV to complain about it and no doubt try to make a name for themselves. Oh well,such is life I suppose!
You know the facts, you just don't like them.

And yes, insulting people isn't allowed anymore.
Quite right, i know the facts - and I don't like many of them, but as I said, i do agree that there are many things that are totally unacceptable in this day and age, but my point is that there are some who seek to change perfectly normal statements into some sort of racist/sexist/fascist ( or any other ist or ism! ) ideology that they might have. What for instance, is the point in a train company refusing to use the term ''ladies and gentlemen'' or a policeman (really!) going to a pharmacist and objecting to signs pointing to 'Female Hygiene''? Almost every day an example of PC stupidity appears on TV or in the papers. I understand that the 'transgender' program was to see how children adapted to being gender neutral for a time - WHY? Cannot people let kids be kids anymore? Surely they have enough to learn about life in their formative years without wondering whether or not they are a girl or a boy?
PS. Was I allowed to use that term for children or is someone going to object?

OpanaPointer
Member
Posts: 130
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:00 pm

Re: Political correctness gone mad?

Post by OpanaPointer » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:07 pm

Look, it's not Jan. 20, 1933, any more.

User avatar
Dave Saxton
Supporter
Posts: 2951
Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2004 9:02 pm
Location: Rocky Mountains USA

Re: Political correctness gone mad?

Post by Dave Saxton » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:22 pm

northcape wrote:
I've a science background, and I myself worked in the oil industry. Checking facts, judging scientific reasoning, separating unfounded opinions and superficial pseudo-"knowledge" from the essential and firm foundations was and is my daily bread, because in the real and serious world (outside the iinternet and youtube) this is the only thing that counts in the long run.
I'm sorry but I don't believe you. Your displaying a level of scientific illiteracy and innumeracy typical of warmists on this issue. Your not presenting knowledge of this topic at all, not even superficially.
Entering a night sea battle is an awesome business.The enveloping darkness, hiding the enemy's.. seems a living thing, malignant and oppressive.Swishing water at the bow and stern mark an inexorable advance toward an unknown destiny.

OpanaPointer
Member
Posts: 130
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:00 pm

Re: Political correctness gone mad?

Post by OpanaPointer » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:34 pm

Climate change conspiracy theorists always present their arguments in terms of what it will cost them personally. Nothing is more revealing about their motives.

paul.mercer
Senior Member
Posts: 644
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:25 pm

Re: Political correctness gone mad?

Post by paul.mercer » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:48 pm

Well chaps, this really has to take the biscuit!
Quite apart from overseas students attending a university set up by Cecil Rhodes and then demanding his statue be removed, and others moaning about a statue of a chap that helped to found the city of Bristol (who had been in the slave business in the past) there appears in today's paper an article about a women from Ghana who wrote the the 'Guardian' - one of the UK's more left wing newspapers, saying that the statue of Nelson in Trafalgar Square should be torn down because he was a 'white supremacist who had friends in the slave trade.If we take this stupidity further then many of the statues of former Kings of England, Generals, Admirals and pretty well anyone else who is famous should also come down as well as all the castles built around the country in medieval times. Have these people nothing better to do in order to get their few minutes of fame, like work for instance?
Perhaps it would be fair to say that if they don't like them go back home and put a sack over their heads!

OpanaPointer
Member
Posts: 130
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:00 pm

Re: Political correctness gone mad?

Post by OpanaPointer » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:11 pm

(If you're an American citizen) would you be okay with a 200 foot statue of the Flying Spaghetti Monster being installed alongside the "National" Cathedral? Taxpayer's money to support a faction's beliefs?

User avatar
RF
Senior Member
Posts: 7525
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:15 pm
Location: Wolverhampton, ENGLAND

Re: Political correctness gone mad?

Post by RF » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:19 am

OpanaPointer wrote:Look, it's not Jan. 20, 1933, any more.
No it isn't.

So why mention this date?
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.

User avatar
RF
Senior Member
Posts: 7525
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:15 pm
Location: Wolverhampton, ENGLAND

Re: Political correctness gone mad?

Post by RF » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:22 am

OpanaPointer wrote:(If you're an American citizen) would you be okay with a 200 foot statue of the Flying Spaghetti Monster being installed alongside the "National" Cathedral? Taxpayer's money to support a faction's beliefs?
I'm not so I couldn't care less.

Other than that so long that I as a taxpayer am not paying for it and the statue is not on my property or in breach of local authority planning regulations.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.

User avatar
RF
Senior Member
Posts: 7525
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:15 pm
Location: Wolverhampton, ENGLAND

Re: Political correctness gone mad?

Post by RF » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:25 am

OpanaPointer wrote:Climate change conspiracy theorists always present their arguments in terms of what it will cost them personally. Nothing is more revealing about their motives.
This again is a cliché that means nothing. It is not an argument, and is fairly typical of the shallow level of advocacy of those who promote the AGW dogma.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.

User avatar
RF
Senior Member
Posts: 7525
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:15 pm
Location: Wolverhampton, ENGLAND

Re: Political correctness gone mad?

Post by RF » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:40 am

paul.mercer wrote:Well chaps, this really has to take the biscuit!
...., saying that the statue of Nelson in Trafalgar Square should be torn down because he was a 'white supremacist who had friends in the slave trade.
Nelson was personally against the slave trade, while the Confederate general Robert E Lee supported abolition of slavery.

The American Civil War was about the right of South Carolina and 10 other southern states to leave the USA without the consent of all the other states. It was not about the issue of slavery, although that was the issue causing the desire to secede by the Confederate states, as some slave states such as Missouri and Kentucky supported the Union. There was substantial support for abolition of slavery in the southern states, vigorously opposed by the plantation owners. Had the Confederacy won that war, the issue of slavery and its abolition would have grown in the south, especially with its abolition in the north.
But of course that is not the politically correct view.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.

OpanaPointer
Member
Posts: 130
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:00 pm

Re: Political correctness gone mad?

Post by OpanaPointer » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:39 pm

RF wrote:
OpanaPointer wrote:Look, it's not Jan. 20, 1933, any more.
No it isn't.

So why mention this date?
Because the Right would be happy back then.
Last edited by OpanaPointer on Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply