Political correctness gone mad?

Anything else you want to talk about.
Post Reply
OpanaPointer
Member
Posts: 229
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:00 pm

Re: Political correctness gone mad?

Post by OpanaPointer » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:39 pm

RF wrote:
OpanaPointer wrote:Climate change conspiracy theorists always present their arguments in terms of what it will cost them personally. Nothing is more revealing about their motives.
This again is a cliché that means nothing. It is not an argument, and is fairly typical of the shallow level of advocacy of those who promote the AGW dogma.
Greed, that's what motivates anti-AGW, pure greed.

User avatar
RF
Senior Member
Posts: 7590
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:15 pm
Location: Wolverhampton, ENGLAND

Re: Political correctness gone mad?

Post by RF » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:16 pm

OpanaPointer wrote:
RF wrote:
OpanaPointer wrote:Look, it's not Jan. 20, 1933, any more.
No it isn't.

So why mention this date?
Because the Right would be happy back then.
Why?

If by any chance you are referring to Herr Hitler becoming the last Chancellor of the Weimar Republic then you could at least get the right date!
And even if you are, what possible relevance does it have to this thread?
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.

User avatar
RF
Senior Member
Posts: 7590
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:15 pm
Location: Wolverhampton, ENGLAND

Re: Political correctness gone mad?

Post by RF » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:18 pm

OpanaPointer wrote:
RF wrote:
OpanaPointer wrote:Climate change conspiracy theorists always present their arguments in terms of what it will cost them personally. Nothing is more revealing about their motives.
This again is a cliché that means nothing. It is not an argument, and is fairly typical of the shallow level of advocacy of those who promote the AGW dogma.
Greed, that's what motivates anti-AGW, pure greed.
Any evidence for this - or is this just another cliché?
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.

northcape
Senior Member
Posts: 344
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:31 am

Re: Political correctness gone mad?

Post by northcape » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:59 pm

Dave Saxton wrote:
northcape wrote:
I've a science background, and I myself worked in the oil industry. Checking facts, judging scientific reasoning, separating unfounded opinions and superficial pseudo-"knowledge" from the essential and firm foundations was and is my daily bread, because in the real and serious world (outside the iinternet and youtube) this is the only thing that counts in the long run.
I'm sorry but I don't believe you. Your displaying a level of scientific illiteracy and innumeracy typical of warmists on this issue. Your not presenting knowledge of this topic at all, not even superficially.
Again, I don't want to sound harsh, but if you don't believe, it is none of my worries.
I don't even know what a "warmist" is, I can only guess. But using such terms again clearly illustrates that you are not in for facts or a scientific debate, but that you consider the issue of climate change as a struggle of ideologies. And ideology, no matter from which side, is always in contrast to the quest for facts and science.
Right, I don't know a lot of climate change, and I never claimed that. The discussion here is completely different, it is about discrediting rationalism and established and working processes for the improvement of mankind by disinformation and conspiracy theories. As noted before, I consider this as the greatest threat. There is no broken peer-review process just because a very small number of people, for what reason ever, cry out loudly all the time. I will not repeat what I've already wrote on the sources you claim for your view.
And RF, I never attributed you or anybody else here as a right-winger. I don't know any of you to make such a statement. This is a general statement to describe a movement or group in the society, a label. Like "the" media or "the" liberals.

paul.mercer
Senior Member
Posts: 881
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:25 pm

Re: Political correctness gone mad?

Post by paul.mercer » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:51 pm

OpanaPointer wrote:(If you're an American citizen) would you be okay with a 200 foot statue of the Flying Spaghetti Monster being installed alongside the "National" Cathedral? Taxpayer's money to support a faction's beliefs?
History is history and cannot be changed, of course there were some very unpleasant things that happened and no doubt whatever unpleasant things that are happening today will be recorded, but how only time will tell. As you no doubt know, in wartime history tends to be written by the victors who overlook the nastier side of anything they might have done but are quick to condemn the losers who may well have done the same thing. Wars often bring out great commanders whose deeds are commemorated by a statue in the local community or area in which they served, I'm afraid that I am not too well up on the statues of the Confederate generals that all the fuss is about,but I believe that slavery was rife right across the US at one time or another so I do wonder if the pulling down of the statues is motivated by those who believe that screaming about racism and slavery 150 years after the event is going to change what happened or are they just trying to find something else to offend them so they can cause a riot and try and show how politically correct and racist free that they are. If they are really offended by a statue then don't look at it!
I'm told that some schools in the UK teach very little about past wars, even WW1 and 2 and even less about the days of the British Empire because it is not politically correct to mention anything to do with Imperialism (probably because of left wing teachers as well) but I am always reminded of a TV program given by the then head of the Imperial War Museum some years ago when discussing the Empire he ended by saying " The British Empire was not always good, but it was always great" and that sums up much of history and the people who made it, no matter who they were or where they came from.

OpanaPointer
Member
Posts: 229
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:00 pm

Re: Political correctness gone mad?

Post by OpanaPointer » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:26 am

RF wrote:
OpanaPointer wrote:
RF wrote:
No it isn't.

So why mention this date?
Because the Right would be happy back then.
Why?

If by any chance you are referring to Herr Hitler becoming the last Chancellor of the Weimar Republic then you could at least get the right date!
And even if you are, what possible relevance does it have to this thread?
Because whinging about "political correctness" is the preserve of the far right.

OpanaPointer
Member
Posts: 229
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:00 pm

Re: Political correctness gone mad?

Post by OpanaPointer » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:28 am

paul.mercer wrote:
OpanaPointer wrote:(If you're an American citizen) would you be okay with a 200 foot statue of the Flying Spaghetti Monster being installed alongside the "National" Cathedral? Taxpayer's money to support a faction's beliefs?
History is history and cannot be changed, of course there were some very unpleasant things that happened and no doubt whatever unpleasant things that are happening today will be recorded, but how only time will tell. As you no doubt know, in wartime history tends to be written by the victors who overlook the nastier side of anything they might have done but are quick to condemn the losers who may well have done the same thing. Wars often bring out great commanders whose deeds are commemorated by a statue in the local community or area in which they served, I'm afraid that I am not too well up on the statues of the Confederate generals that all the fuss is about,but I believe that slavery was rife right across the US at one time or another so I do wonder if the pulling down of the statues is motivated by those who believe that screaming about racism and slavery 150 years after the event is going to change what happened or are they just trying to find something else to offend them so they can cause a riot and try and show how politically correct and racist free that they are. If they are really offended by a statue then don't look at it!
I'm told that some schools in the UK teach very little about past wars, even WW1 and 2 and even less about the days of the British Empire because it is not politically correct to mention anything to do with Imperialism (probably because of left wing teachers as well) but I am always reminded of a TV program given by the then head of the Imperial War Museum some years ago when discussing the Empire he ended by saying " The British Empire was not always good, but it was always great" and that sums up much of history and the people who made it, no matter who they were or where they came from.
There's very little history is those statues, and most of it was written by folks who leaned toward the KKK. And nobody wants to erase history despite the hysteria of the hard right. They just don't want tax payers' money supporting. You're not from the US, you need to look at the situation a bit.

OpanaPointer
Member
Posts: 229
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:00 pm

Re: Political correctness gone mad?

Post by OpanaPointer » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:29 am

RF wrote:
OpanaPointer wrote: Greed, that's what motivates anti-AGW, pure greed.
Any evidence for this - or is this just another cliché?
Just read their complaints. All about the money.

And you should look up the definition of cliche.

User avatar
Dave Saxton
Supporter
Posts: 3086
Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2004 9:02 pm
Location: Rocky Mountains USA

Re: Political correctness gone mad?

Post by Dave Saxton » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:04 am

northcape wrote: Right, I don't know a lot of climate change, and I never claimed that. The discussion here is completely different, it is about discrediting rationalism and established and working processes for the improvement of mankind by disinformation and conspiracy theories.
I'm afraid you have things 180 degrees out of phase. I'm confident if you look at this objectively, you will see that the skeptics are the rational ones here.

I'm sure you can see the problem of your current position: You don't claim to know the science well but your sure that the skeptics are the ones disseminating disinformation.

I challenge you to objectively investigate the science sans any political assumptions. As a friend of science, as you claim, you should be shocked by the corruption of the scientific method by many of the pro AGW bent, and disgusted at their mendacity.
Entering a night sea battle is an awesome business.The enveloping darkness, hiding the enemy's.. seems a living thing, malignant and oppressive.Swishing water at the bow and stern mark an inexorable advance toward an unknown destiny.

OpanaPointer
Member
Posts: 229
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:00 pm

Re: Political correctness gone mad?

Post by OpanaPointer » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:01 pm

Conspiracy theorists don't like doing the heavy lifting.

paul.mercer
Senior Member
Posts: 881
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:25 pm

Re: Political correctness gone mad?

Post by paul.mercer » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:31 am

OpanaPointer wrote:
paul.mercer wrote:
OpanaPointer wrote:(If you're an American citizen) would you be okay with a 200 foot statue of the Flying Spaghetti Monster being installed alongside the "National" Cathedral? Taxpayer's money to support a faction's beliefs?
History is history and cannot be changed, of course there were some very unpleasant things that happened and no doubt whatever unpleasant things that are happening today will be recorded, but how only time will tell. As you no doubt know, in wartime history tends to be written by the victors who overlook the nastier side of anything they might have done but are quick to condemn the losers who may well have done the same thing. Wars often bring out great commanders whose deeds are commemorated by a statue in the local community or area in which they served, I'm afraid that I am not too well up on the statues of the Confederate generals that all the fuss is about,but I believe that slavery was rife right across the US at one time or another so I do wonder if the pulling down of the statues is motivated by those who believe that screaming about racism and slavery 150 years after the event is going to change what happened or are they just trying to find something else to offend them so they can cause a riot and try and show how politically correct and racist free that they are. If they are really offended by a statue then don't look at it!
I'm told that some schools in the UK teach very little about past wars, even WW1 and 2 and even less about the days of the British Empire because it is not politically correct to mention anything to do with Imperialism (probably because of left wing teachers as well) but I am always reminded of a TV program given by the then head of the Imperial War Museum some years ago when discussing the Empire he ended by saying " The British Empire was not always good, but it was always great" and that sums up much of history and the people who made it, no matter who they were or where they came from.
There's very little history is those statues, and most of it was written by folks who leaned toward the KKK. And nobody wants to erase history despite the hysteria of the hard right. They just don't want tax payers' money supporting. You're not from the US, you need to look at the situation a bit.
You are correct, I'm not from the US, but we Brits have a lot of history behind us - and a lot of statues of those who made that history, not all of them were good and some were pretty awful, but most of them were considered to be great at the time which is why many were given honours by a grateful Government and had statues erected by a grateful public, often through public subscription. Whether the statues of the Confederate Generals were erected because of their political views on slavery or because they were great generals (albeit on the losing side) is purely a matter of opinion for the people of the US - but it has made for some interesting discussions on this forum!

OpanaPointer
Member
Posts: 229
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:00 pm

Re: Political correctness gone mad?

Post by OpanaPointer » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:52 am

I was speaking of the statues in the US erected at the instigation of the KKK.

As for British history, I know what would make the lions at Trafalgar Square roar.

paul.mercer
Senior Member
Posts: 881
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:25 pm

Re: Political correctness gone mad?

Post by paul.mercer » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:32 pm

OpanaPointer wrote:I was speaking of the statues in the US erected at the instigation of the KKK.

As for British history, I know what would make the lions at Trafalgar Square roar.
Do tell!

Mostlyharmless
Member
Posts: 168
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:45 pm

Re: Political correctness gone mad?

Post by Mostlyharmless » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:47 pm

As a poster to this site and a retired white Englishman to boot, I am naturally not very enthusiastic about removing Nelson’s Column. However, I would be quite happy to have a monument to Captain John Perkins https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Perk ... y_officer) somewhere in London to annoy the French, Spanish and Danes.

OpanaPointer
Member
Posts: 229
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:00 pm

Re: Political correctness gone mad?

Post by OpanaPointer » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:25 pm

paul.mercer wrote:
OpanaPointer wrote:I was speaking of the statues in the US erected at the instigation of the KKK.

As for British history, I know what would make the lions at Trafalgar Square roar.
Do tell!
Every time a virgin walks by...

Post Reply