Ted Briggs passed away

Relevant news about the site.
José M. Rico
Administrator

Ted Briggs passed away

Post by José M. Rico »

Hello all,

Frank W. Allen has just informed me that Ted Briggs, the last of the three survivors from the ship, died last Friday. The people of the HMS Hood Association have set up a post in their forum so you can send your condolences.

http://www.readybb.com/hmshood/viewtopic.php?t=472
Vic Dale

Re: Ted Briggs passed away

Post by Vic Dale »

Go well Ted.

Vic Dale
Gary

Post by Gary »

R.I.P. Ted.
They dont make men like you anymore.
Karl Heidenreich

Post by Karl Heidenreich »

The last one of those who survived an historical ordeal. I believe the following quote from Briggs itself (from Bruce Taylor´s book about Hood) speaks a lot for him:

"Everything was cold and unreal. The ship which had been a haven for me the last two years was suddenly hostile... This was it, I realized. But I wasn´t going to give easily...."

Well, he didn´t. He was a hero and an old soldier. And as the old soldiers, in McArthur´s words, "he just faded away"...

Rest In Peace
RF

Post by RF »

This was reported in the Wolverhampton Express & Star in yesterday evenings edition.

Another sad passing, at age 85. He was 18 when Hood was sunk, and I find it incredible that an intervening period of more than 67 years of his life was as one of the very few survivors of this ship. Indeed he had outlived all the survivors of Bismarck, and this now marks the end of an era.