Forum Arrangement

Relevant news about the site.
José M. Rico
Administrator

Forum Arrangement

Post by José M. Rico »

Hello everyone,

As you may have noticed the whole board is currently in a process of rearrangement. I have created a new set of history sub-forums. Basically the former history forum was split into several new ones. Not sure yet if this is a good idea but let's give it a try. It is not definitive and I would like to hear your comments, opinions, ideas, etc. Do you miss anything? Would you like a different set up? Let me know here.

José
Kyler

Does the Forum Need a Kriegsmarine Section?

Post by Kyler »

Since I am fairly new member of this group, I have been reading a lot of the posts, even since I have become a member there has been an expansion of areas to include different time periods of the battleships construction & technology. Though I have noticed there are A LOT of articles dealing with the many other vessels the Kriegsmarine used during WW2 not just the Bismarck.

I personally think the site needs a Non Bismarck section to devoted to the Kriegsmarine so that the topics on particular German ships like Scharnhorst, Prinz Eugen, and others can be discussed in one particular area so it easier for newbie’s like myself to soak up all the info that being posted on the forum.

Opinions or Thoughts
"It was a perfect attack, Right Height, Right Range, Right cloud cover, Right speed,
Wrong f@%king ship!" Commander Stewart-Moore (HMS Ark Royal)
José M. Rico
Administrator

Re: Does the Forum Need a Kriegsmarine Section?

Post by José M. Rico »

Believe me, I have thought about it. But for the time being all Kriegsmarine related topics should be posted within the "Naval History (1922-1945)" forum. The thing is that if I add a Kriegsmarine forum, then I should also add a US Navy forum, a Royal Navy forum, an Imperial Japanese Navy forum, etc. Someone could also ask for a battleship forum, a carrier forum, a cruiser forum, a submarine forum... So we end up with 100 different forums for every different naval theme that we can possibly imagine. Of course things may change. I will see.
lwd

Re: Forum Arrangement

Post by lwd »

Well you could base any additional forums on the number of threads rather than "being fair" to classes of ships or nationalities. However given the nature of the internet there is also likely to be a fair amount of off section content in many of the threads. Especially ones that invite comparisions. I guess I'd suggest sections on axis, allied, and possibly neutral if you want to give that route a try. On the other hand the search function works well enough that I'm not at all sure it's necessary.
Karl Heidenreich

Post by Karl Heidenreich »

I think that the forum is already over sub divided. Going on a nationality basis we can lost the appropiate perspective of things. A thread on KM ships "only" could be very misleading because: they were few and, even if we can bring discussion on them, the comparison or relative strenghts and weakness of them would lead to include vessels of other nations.

Basically I cannot imagine what could be a USN "only" thread in which only two sources are basically quoted. Nope: better do things as José has arrange them by chronology which will help us to maintain our disorderly way of addressing things.

As it is I think it is fine.

Best regards,
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.
Sir Winston Churchill
RF

Post by RF »

What is happening with all this expansion of sections and the conversion of side issues from a ''minority'' section to a majority of sections is that this really is no longer a Bismarck website.

There are already existing websites for the KM and for Axis and Allied military forces in WW2. I don't see any point in duplicating them.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.