IJN Mark2Model2 radar.

Warship design and construction, terminology, navigation, hydrodynamics, stability, armor schemes, damage control, etc.
Dave Saxton
Supporter

IJN Mark2Model2 radar.

Post by Dave Saxton »

I found rummaging through some papers recently a copy of a block diagram of the Japanese Mk2Mod2 surface search radar introduced during 1942. I think it is from the Technical Missions as it has English labeling.

Some of the technical and performance data contained are:

Operating wavelength 10cm.
Power output -2kw.
Pulse width -10 microseconds
1/2 power beam width (hence bearing resolution) 19*
Bearing accuracy 2-3*
Range accuracy 100 meters.
BB to BB range 25km

The transmitter is an M312 cavity magnetron creating 10cm radiation. There are two seperate horn antennas only 40cm diameter at the openings, fed by 1.5cm diameter wave guides. Antenna gain is 13db. The receiver is a super het design with solid state detector diodes and an M605 magnetron LO. There were two indicators. One is an A-scope for course range, and there is a range gated fine range indicator. I see no indication of pulse compression or other advanced concepts to deal with the enormous pulse width.
Entering a night sea battle is an awesome business.The enveloping darkness, hiding the enemy's.. seems a living thing, malignant and oppressive.Swishing water at the bow and stern mark an inexorable advance toward an unknown destiny.