Looking for data from the BADEN PLATE BALLISTIC TESTS

Warship design and construction, terminology, navigation, hydrodynamics, stability, armor schemes, damage control, etc.
delcyros

Looking for data from the BADEN PLATE BALLISTIC TESTS

Post by delcyros »

A few weeks ago, I run across the 1922 extension to the 1911 article of the Enzyclopedia Britannica about some tests conducted with armour plates taken from former HSF battleship SMS BADEN and subjected to metallurgical and ballistic trials on the prooving ground. Note these plate trials are not identic to the trials conducted by HMS TERROR in life firings on this battleship referred to here:

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=162

Unfortunately, the article communicates only the general results but not the details, thus that 9in british period CA are about as good as 300mm KCa/A and that 250mm KCa/A are similar to circa 8in british period CA in effective stopping power. The tests were conducted with "same APC used to proof british CA", without specifying them either. I am highly interested in the details of these tests, if somebody happened to have come across them.

For a number of reasons, I do consider the numbers as believable but wan´t like to go into details without having access to more solid evidence.

Thanks in advance,
delc