Amphibious operations

Warship design and construction, terminology, navigation, hydrodynamics, stability, armor schemes, damage control, etc.
Francis Marliere

Amphibious operations

Post by Francis Marliere »

Gentlemen,

I have some questions about amphibious operations (just the landing, not assault, which is even more complicated).

I assume that not all beaches are suited for a landing. What is the minimum size and maximum slope for the beaching of a small craft (LCVP, LCM, LCT) ? Same question for a LST.

I expect amphibious operations to be difficult in rough weather, despite historical counter exemples (Normandy). In which sea state it becomes dangerous or even impossible to sail in a small craft ? Same question for the deployment of small craft from a LSD / from a davies or deck of a ship. Same question for the beaching of a LST.

Since sea state may be a problem for amphibious operations, it may be better to land in a sheltered area. Not being a sailor, I don't realize how a bay or a creek can protect from heavy sea. Assuming a sea state of, let's say, 5 in open sea, what would it be in the sheltered area ?

I would like to estimate the time taken by a small craft to make a rotation. Transit time is easy to guess, but how long does it take to load and unload a LCVP / LCM / LCT ? How long does it take to unload a LST once beached ?

I assume that an unit that have been landed need space for defensive positions and stores. How much space does a batallon-sized unit need ?

Thanks for any help,

Francis Marliere
Literalman

Re: Amphibious operations

Post by Literalman »

I found a document that will probably interest you, though it doesn't have specific answers to the questions you asked. On the Hyperwar website at http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USN/ref ... index.html you can read "Landing Operations Doctrine, United States Navy, 1938." It doesn't have numbers about the slope of a beach or the sea state, but it does have sections on beachheads and selection of landing areas.
dunmunro

Post by dunmunro »

Francis Marliere

Post by Francis Marliere »

Thanks.